PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get increased sneak attack dice?

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 12:31 AM
I was allowed to use this class as though it were a base class (that only grants its scaling abilities past level 10), https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Spellthief_(3.5e_Prestige_Class) This is because we are gestalt, but aren't allowed to multiclass within that gestalt. He doesn't normally allow homebrew, I just convinced him of this exception.

So, since I can't multiclass, there's no great way to readily boost sneak attack damage, that I know of. At worst, this means I am 1 level behind full spell casters in terms of spell level. Not bad. Not great. Is there a way to pump up my sneak attack dice (not simply add damage to it like Craven does)?

EDIT: Oh, both PF and 3.5 sources are allowed.

Venger
2017-02-21, 01:13 AM
I was allowed to use this class as though it were a base class (that only grants its scaling abilities past level 10), https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Spellthief_(3.5e_Prestige_Class) This is because we are gestalt, but aren't allowed to multiclass within that gestalt. He doesn't normally allow homebrew, I just convinced him of this exception.

So, since I can't multiclass, there's no great way to readily boost sneak attack damage, that I know of. At worst, this means I am 1 level behind full spell casters in terms of spell level. Not bad. Not great. Is there a way to pump up my sneak attack dice (not simply add damage to it like Craven does)?

assassin's stance and the rogue's vest both impart extra sneak attack dice. as with any user of precision damage who isn't immune to fear, craven's still a solid choice.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 01:46 AM
Oh, both PF and 3.5 sources are allowed.

Bullet06320
2017-02-21, 02:59 AM
there's always the Craven feat that gives you a flat +1 per level to sneak attack

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428&authentic=true now broken link
epic destinies article the mythic shadow increases the damage die one step, taken at 21st level or using the optional rule at 12th
they scrubbed the article from the site and archives, it was from one of the last 3 3.5 edition dragon mags that went poof with 4th edition
it can still be found online if you dig around

3rd party
traps & treachery by mongoose publishing has a feat, improved sneak attack that increases the die damage a step

Dagroth
2017-02-21, 03:16 AM
Wand of Hunter's Eye (Ranger spell for more sneak attack)

I found a page with a link to the article you were talking about... but the link was dead: Dragon Features: Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5 http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428

Then doing a google search for that article name found the article on someone's Google drive (first thing that comes up).

And there's no way I personally would allow those feats to be non-Epic.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 03:20 AM
Wand of Hunter's Eye (Ranger spell for more sneak attack)

I found a page with a link to the article you were talking about... but the link was dead: Dragon Features: Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5 http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428

Then doing a google search for that article name found the article on someone's Google drive (first thing that comes up).

lol. Well....Hunter's Eye definitely increases the number of dice you get...bad thing about using it on a wand? It becomes a standard action.

Dagroth
2017-02-21, 03:43 AM
lol. Well....Hunter's Eye definitely increases the number of dice you get...bad thing about using it on a wand? It becomes a standard action.

Casting a spell in a wand takes just as long as casting the spell from a spell slot.

Rules Compendium says so.

So a swift-action spell in a wand takes a swift action to cast.

Coretron03
2017-02-21, 03:50 AM
Casting a spell in a wand takes just as long as casting the spell from a spell slot.

Yeah or wands of gravestrtike and co would be useless.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 04:52 AM

OK. That's awesome then. Is there a way to use the wand without dropping your weapon(s)?

Yeah. Wand Chamber, if I'm reading this correctly. That's awesome.

Yeah or wands of gravestrtike and co would be useless.

Yeah, general rules tend to have their gods and their feeble cancer patients. That doesn't mean the rules don't work that way.

-----------------------

Oh....In a 3.PF game....if Pathfinder printed a new version of it, can you still use the 3.5 version? PF's Hunter's Eye is useless for this :(

Telonius
2017-02-21, 06:28 AM
No multiclassing, but are you allowed to prestige? Master of Masks can get you +1d6 sneak in a single level (if you take the Assassin mask), and has fairly easy prereqs for a rogue-ish type. One level of that, and another of something like Assassin (or anything else that gives you +1d6 sneak in a single level) would get you back on track for being equal to casters.

Hamste
2017-02-21, 06:30 AM
Sap master doubles the number of sneak attack dice you roll as long as you do non-lethal bludgeoning damage seeing Pathfinder is allowed.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 06:40 AM
No multiclassing, but are you allowed to prestige? Master of Masks can get you +1d6 sneak in a single level (if you take the Assassin mask), and has fairly easy prereqs for a rogue-ish type. One level of that, and another of something like Assassin (or anything else that gives you +1d6 sneak in a single level) would get you back on track for being equal to casters.

No, I more or less convinced them to let me use it as a base class (and levels after 10 are just scaling its level-based abilities), because it's the best class that fits the spellthief archetype, while not being overly impressive.

Sap master doubles the number of sneak attack dice you roll as long as you do non-lethal bludgeoning damage seeing Pathfinder is allowed.

I don't think that would work by RAW, since you're not rolling your sneak attack dice for spell theft. But yeah, that seems really nice, considering I was already using Saps/Truncheons.

Bullet06320
2017-02-21, 07:03 AM

i have a printed out copy, but I know its hiding in the waybackmachine

and it costs you multiple feats to get the benefits, 12,15,18 or 21,24,27,30 depending on how you want to do it, although I find it funny if allowed it costs less feats than taking it later

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-02-21, 07:54 AM
The sacred strike feat in the BoED increases sneak attack dice to d8s against evil creatures, as well as making your sneak attacks count as good-aligned for the purposes of DR. It is of course an exalted feat, however, which may not fit with some character concepts.

Darrin
2017-02-21, 08:47 AM
Martial Study: Cloak of Deception and Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance gets you 2d6, but your IL needs to be high enough for a 5th3rd level stance (usually 10 non-initiator class levels).

Dragonfire Strike (Dragon Magic) can also increase your sneak attack damage by +1d6, but it changes the damage to [fire] damage. Switching the damage to a different energy type (such as [sonic]) will likely involve a dip into Dragon Shaman or DFA + Draconic Heritage.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 11:03 AM
Martial Study: Cloak of Deception and Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance gets you 2d6, but your IL needs to be high enough for a 5th level stance (usually 10 non-initiator class levels).

Dragonfire Strike (Dragon Magic) can also increase your sneak attack damage by +1d6, but it changes the damage to [fire] damage. Switching the damage to a different energy type (such as [sonic]) will likely involve a dip into Dragon Shaman or DFA + Draconic Heritage.

Why do you need an IL for 5th lvl stance? Assassin's stance is a 3rd level stance. Also, good catch on the Dragonfire Strike. Will effectively take Dragontouched feat as well to get it, but it would seem to work.

Venger
2017-02-21, 11:06 AM
Why do you need an IL for 5th lvl stance? Assassin's stance is a 3rd level stance. Also, good catch on the Dragonfire Strike. Will effectively take Dragontouched feat as well to get it, but it would seem to work.

You don't. You need an IL of 5 for a 3rd level stance. Adept levels give you an IL of 1 per class level, non-adept levels give one IL for every 2 levels, so you'd need to be a 10th level character or more for an IL of 5.

If you can roll a character with dragonblood, such as silverbrow human, you can save the feat on dragontouched.

Zaq
2017-02-21, 11:14 AM
There's a weapon enhancement called Deadly Precision (MIC, pg. 32) that gives you +1d6 Sneak Attack. You have to have Sneak Attack already, so it doesn't let you qualify for things without dipping into a class with SA, but that isn't a problem for your specific character. Since it works just like normal SA, it's generally inferior to an elemental enhancement that gives an extra d6 without having to worry about flanking or denying DEX, but again, for your specific character, it might be helpful.

If you're looking specifically to sacrifice dice of SA to steal spells, there's a hyper-sensitive RAW argument that the weapon gives a separate d6 that is contingent upon making a Sneak Attack but that isn't actually Sneak Attack, but I would imagine that most GMs wouldn't be so picky.

Darrin
2017-02-21, 11:17 AM
Why do you need an IL for 5th lvl stance? Assassin's stance is a 3rd level stance.

Brainfart. I meant to type 3rd.

Also, good catch on the Dragonfire Strike. Will effectively take Dragontouched feat as well to get it, but it would seem to work.

Dragontouched has to be taken at 1st level. Otherwise, you have to dip Dragonfire Adept 1 (where you get it as a bonus feat) or Dragon Shaman 1 (which switches your energy type to your chosen dragon as per the sidebar in Dragon Magic). If you have room for the dip, Dragon Shaman doesn't cost any feat slots.

Zaq
2017-02-21, 11:20 AM
Brainfart. I meant to type 3rd.

Dragontouched has to be taken at 1st level. Otherwise, you have to dip Dragonfire Adept 1 (where you get it as a bonus feat) or Dragon Shaman 1 (which switches your energy type to your chosen dragon as per the sidebar in Dragon Magic). If you have room for the dip, Dragon Shaman doesn't cost any feat slots.

I don't see any requirement in Dragontouched that it can only be selected at 1st level. Where is that rule coming from?

Venger
2017-02-21, 11:35 AM
I don't see any requirement in Dragontouched that it can only be selected at 1st level. Where is that rule coming from?

Maybe he was thinking of human heritage/diverse background's prereqs? I don't see it in dragon magic either

Darrin
2017-02-21, 12:32 PM
Maybe he was thinking of human heritage/diverse background's prereqs? I don't see it in dragon magic either

Huh. Coulda sworn... ok, that was another brainfart.

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 01:05 PM

Dragonblood subtype is what it says it requires. That feat is how you get it, without changing your race.

Venger
2017-02-21, 02:27 PM
Dragonblood subtype is what it says it requires. That feat is how you get it, without changing your race.

Right, I know. I was referring to the "can only be taken at level 1" aspect of it.

Is there a reason you don't want to use silverbrow human if you're looking to pick up more sneak attack? you get to keep your human feat, and wouldn't need to spend a feat on dragontouched as a result. has your DM banned it?

Xethik
2017-02-21, 02:43 PM
Pathfinder's Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat will add 1d6 Sneak Attack damage, assuming you have fewer Sneak Attack dice than a Rogue of your level.

SangoProduction
2017-02-22, 01:12 AM
Right, I know. I was referring to the "can only be taken at level 1" aspect of it.

Is there a reason you don't want to use silverbrow human if you're looking to pick up more sneak attack? you get to keep your human feat, and wouldn't need to spend a feat on dragontouched as a result. has your DM banned it?

The campaign is race-locked. Basically a drow campaign.

Dagroth
2017-02-22, 01:53 AM
The campaign is race-locked. Basically a drow campaign.

Deepwyrm Drow (Dragon Magic). A couple of minor differences in SPAs & Skill bonuses. And you get the Dragonblooded subtype.

SangoProduction
2017-02-22, 01:06 PM
Deepwyrm Drow (Dragon Magic). A couple of minor differences in SPAs & Skill bonuses. And you get the Dragonblooded subtype.

"Like" as in, it's basically a drow campaign, but using some other evil race of creatures that the DM probably homebrewed. There's no dragonblooded version.

Venger
2017-02-22, 02:14 PM
"Like" as in, it's basically a drow campaign, but using some other evil race of creatures that the DM probably homebrewed. There's no dragonblooded version.

In the future, it's helpful to put information like this in the OP, so we don't inadvertently make suggestions that won't apply to your guy.

SangoProduction
2017-02-22, 08:33 PM
In the future, it's helpful to put information like this in the OP, so we don't inadvertently make suggestions that won't apply to your guy.

yeah. No problem.