PDA

View Full Version : New Dog! :D

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:05 PM
Guess who's parents spontaneously decided to get a dog for the family? :smallbiggrin: The odd thing is that none of my siblings, nor myself, asked for a dog. At all.

Sean92k
2007-07-23, 04:06 PM
Mine?
Santa's?
Am I getting warmer?

Congrats on the new pup :smallwink:

FdL
2007-07-23, 04:08 PM
Guess who's parents spontaneously decided to get a dog for the family? :smallbiggrin: The odd thing is that none of my siblings, nor myself, asked for a dog. At all.

Whose.
But hey, congratulations! We're going to need a pic, of course ;)

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:08 PM
Thanks. She's a crossbreed between a black labradore and, get this, a freakin' timber wolf. :smallamused: My dog is kick-ass. And sadly, we have no scanners or digital cameras. So, no pic. :smallfrown: Sorry, folks.

StickMan
2007-07-23, 04:10 PM
:thog: Thog get new puppy, Nale will never have to know.

Sean92k
2007-07-23, 04:13 PM
we have no scannersDid you plan to stick it in the scanner? O_o

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:15 PM
:smallannoyed: No, ya goofy-lookin' forum-goer. I meant we can't take a picture with a regular camera and then scan it.

StickMan
2007-07-23, 04:17 PM
Ok just saw the Wolf thing. I'm just going to warn you, half wolfs are very dangerous as pets. I've done research when I was thinking about making an urban druid with a half wolf, I don't know why I did real research but I did. At any rate half wolfs are far more aggressive because of halving a wolf parent. I know dogs and wolfs are the same species. But actuality Dogs are a subspecies that human have bread most of the aggression out of and Wolfs are Canis Lupus and dogs are Canis lupus familaris. The chance of your a half wolf attacking you are very high, and if he thinks he is head of the pack you will be in real danger. Also half wolfs are stronger than normal dogs due to what is a very good mix of Wolf strength and the traits we have breed in to dogs.

I don't mean to be a jerk here but this is a warning that your pup is cute now but once he grows up he will be able to kill you and very well may. Also in some states it is illegal to own a half wolf.

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:19 PM
You will notice I said that the pup is a female. But, thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye on her.

Sean92k
2007-07-23, 04:23 PM
:smallannoyed: No, ya goofy-lookin' forum-goer.Your the floaty red robot. I'm Gaara (of the funk. Uh-chik Uh-chik Uh-chik Uh-chik GAARA OF THE FUNK) Cookie for those who get the reference

I meant we can't take a picture with a regular camera and then scan it.I ain't buyin it

StickMan
2007-07-23, 04:24 PM
Sex really does not matter as wolf packs have both an Alpha Male and an Alpha Female. Female wolfs can be just as aggressive as males. But if you get lucky your dog may be perfectly fine. I hope you will look up info for yourself on this subject so if you keep the dog you can make yourself and your family safe. Remember a single wolf can easily kill a human, and as a first generation half wolf that is still basically what you have. I'm really just trying to keep you safe.

zeratul
2007-07-23, 04:27 PM
You will get a camera, and take pictures of it

congratulations tin man.

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:30 PM
I am a Tau, mind tricks do not work on me, only the greater good. :smallamused:

But, really, thanks for the heads up, StickMan, I'll keep an eye on the pup and try to make sure she stays in line.

And Sean, YOU WILL BUY IT! BUY IT OR SUFFER FIRE FROM THE HEAVENS! :smalltongue:

zeratul
2007-07-23, 04:31 PM
Stickman, to be fair you are more likely to be killed by a vending machine, lightning, or a dog, than a wolf.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-23, 04:34 PM
Isn't this a coincidence? My family is thinking of buying a whippit (wippit?) from a local breader.

Stickman, to be fair you are more likely to be killed by a vending machine, lightning, or a dog, than a wolf.

Did this survey include people who lived with half-wolves? :smallamused:

Rawhide
2007-07-23, 04:36 PM
Isn't this a coincidence? My family is thinking of buying a whippit (wippit?) from a local breader.

Whippet (whippet good)

zeratul

Yeah I relised that gap in my critisizm. Thanks for ruining the illusion Moon Called:smalltongue: .

RAGE KING!
wow, your dog kicks nine kinds of ass.

your dog will learn to love you, then grow up and kill everyone else.

StickMan

Well true but in this case his dog is a Wolf!!! So yes most of the time you are more likely to get killed by a dog than a wolf but he actually has a wolf in his house.

Sean92k
2007-07-23, 04:37 PM
And Sean, YOU WILL BUY IT! BUY IT OR SUFFER FIRE FROM THE HEAVENS! :smalltongue:I might sig that :smallredface:.

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:40 PM
Oh, gods, my girlfriend just walked in the door. :smallannoyed: This is gonna be fun. Introducing a potentially homicidal half-wolf pup to my girlfriend is gonna be REAL fun.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-23, 04:40 PM
Whippet (whippet good), AKA a greyhound

Whippets aren't actualy greyhounds, but a smaller cousin of them. They are sight-dogs, however.

You're slow on the edit, Rawhide. :smallamused:

@^: Well, if she's a nerd, all you'll have to do is tell her it's a half-wolf and she'll love it. I'd love it. But then... I'm me....

Rawhide
2007-07-23, 04:43 PM
Whippets aren't actualy greyhounds, but a smaller cousin of them. They are sight-dogs, however.

You're slow on the edit, Rawhide. :smallamused:

@^: Well, if she's a nerd, all you'll have to do is tell her it's a half-wolf and she'll love it. I'd love it. But then... I'm me....

I know they aren't, my first source was incorrect. I verified it and corrected the mistake well before your reply.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-23, 04:44 PM

Good point.

blackout
2007-07-23, 04:46 PM
Ok, so far, things are going smoothly. The pup seems rather timid around her for some reason. :smallconfused: Wierd.

StickMan
2007-07-23, 04:47 PM
Man am I ever a buzz kill.:smallfrown:

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/tmyst/facts/wolf_dog_hybrids.htm

Syka
2007-07-23, 04:53 PM
First, why are you on the computer while your girlfriend is over? :smallamused: Oh wait, this is coming from the girl who has watched both her boyfriends play computer games, etc, and had no problem with it.

Second, I can corraberate StickMan's information. For a long time I thought it would be awesome to have a half-wolf, until I spoke with a breeder. Half-breeds like that are actually more dangerous than either normal dogs or pure wolves. Why? You don't know which side they are going to take after most, and that makes them very unpredictable. It doesn't help that a seemingly sweet dog might one day have something that triggers the wolf instinct.

Just...be careful. Make sure she knows who the alpha in the pack is (I'm assuming one of your parents), and make sure to be careful with her around other dogs and new people. I'm sure it'll be fine, but this is a very sensitive thing you have to look out for.

My suggestion would be to contact the breeder and other owners of half-wolves to find out how care for them will differ.

Admittedly though, I'm totally jealous.

Cheers,
Syka

blackout
2007-07-23, 05:05 PM
Thank you, thank you, and thank you all again. :smallsmile: I'll keep this in mind. What I'm really concerned about is why we got a dog. :smallconfused: I mean, the holidays are several more months away, and none of us ever asked for a dog, or even a pet in general. We don't have a rat problem, and the house's security system is pretty much all the protection we'll need in these parts.

StickMan
2007-07-23, 05:09 PM
Well first off can't a parent do somthing nice for no reason geee.

But then killer half wolf. Have you done anything to shame the family or is there a massive insurance policy on you?

Second Half wolfs make very bad guard dogs. If they are not the Alpha they will expect you to protect them, if they are the Alpha well we talked about that......

blackout
2007-07-23, 05:13 PM
:smallannoyed: When your with my family? No. No, a parent CAN'T make any kind of nice gesture towards the rest of the family. It's some kinda whacko genetic anomaly or something. I'm not insured, and my parents have regularly said their proud of me for doing so well in school, and for being able to wrap my head around complicated gaming rules.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-23, 11:24 PM
Female wolf, just get it spayed early, make sure it has plenty of room to run and it will probably dig up your yard, just to warn you.

Half wolves can make good pets, but like any certain dog breeds you have to be aware of their behavior. Just raise it correctly, make sure it well-socialized and is used to petting. Ignore the other person. =P

Oh yeah and make sure your fence is pretty high. Half lab's gonna make it a hyper sucker =P

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-25, 07:18 AM
The odd thing is that none of my siblings, nor myself, asked for a dog. At all.

Maybe the food stock was running out?

*Cat personification:smalltongue: *

But congratulations on your new puppy!

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-25, 07:24 AM
we can't get dogs in our area, there has been a recent Poisoning outbreak... :'(

Ink
2007-07-25, 06:04 PM
Ok, so far, things are going smoothly. The pup seems rather timid around her for some reason. :smallconfused: Wierd.

This is not weird, it's probably the wolf side coming out. Wolves are naturally shy creatures. Some wolf crosses can be very timid. Do you know the percentage of wolf in your pup? Most breeders who sell wolfdog pups will provide documentation on the pup's heritage and the amount of wolf in it.

I have a friend who has raised a couple of wolf/Siberian husky crosses. They're gorgeous animals, nice temperament, and friendly towards everyone. This guy has been keeping dogs all his life, and he said that the wolfdogs were particularly challenging even though his were low content wolves. The higher the wolf content, the more trouble it will give. However he said that all wolfdogs will be more demanding than your average dog. For one thing wolves are pack animals and they can get stressed when lonely, so they require a lot of attention. They can also be pretty destructive.

It'd probably be good for you to Google and read up some info on how to handle your wolfpup. And most definitely have your parents read it too. Just have all the facts so you know what to expect, and I think it'll work out fine.

Congratulations on the new pup. :thog: Yay, puppy!

evisiron
2007-07-25, 06:54 PM
First: Congrats.

Second: Heed the advice of the other posts before me.

Third: Why have you not told us her name yet?!? Can we still add suggestions? Got to get there with names like Vader or Starscream...

Timberwolf
2007-07-26, 07:39 AM
Thanks. She's a crossbreed between a black labradore and, get this, a freakin' timber wolf. :smallamused: My dog is kick-ass.

yes, yes it is.

:smallbiggrin:

Mad Scientist
2007-07-29, 02:50 PM
Wow, she might also get really big. Black labs can be large dogs. Make sure she gets really good obediance training. Will she be an indoor dog or an outdoor dog? Keep us posted!

PlatinumJester
2007-07-29, 02:56 PM
Call the dog "Dog" :smallsmile: .

Sean92k
2007-07-29, 03:01 PM
Call the dog "Dog" :smallsmile: .

Its name should be pat
'Pat the dog' :smallbiggrin: *Runs like hell*

blackout
2007-07-30, 12:29 AM
We've officially named the dog 'Decapitator, Destroyer of Worlds.' :smallsmile: I'll keep ya posted.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-30, 01:44 AM
Ok just saw the Wolf thing. I'm just going to warn you, half wolfs are very dangerous as pets. I've done research when I was thinking about making an urban druid with a half wolf, I don't know why I did real research but I did. At any rate half wolfs are far more aggressive because of halving a wolf parent. I know dogs and wolfs are the same species. But actuality Dogs are a subspecies that human have bread most of the aggression out of and Wolfs are Canis Lupus and dogs are Canis lupus familaris. The chance of your a half wolf attacking you are very high, and if he thinks he is head of the pack you will be in real danger. Also half wolfs are stronger than normal dogs due to what is a very good mix of Wolf strength and the traits we have breed in to dogs.

I don't mean to be a jerk here but this is a warning that your pup is cute now but once he grows up he will be able to kill you and very well may. Also in some states it is illegal to own a half wolf.

A half-wolf is by no means a family animal. It's not quite a pet, as it's not really domesticated. Even part-wolf dogs are incredibly difficult to raise, as they're full of wildness and a lust for killing. Hard to control.

Hope your family has some serious experience in dog raising, blackout.

So the next time I see a bear, I can punch it in the face, knowing that my chances of being killed by one are "really low"? Heh, alright, thanks for the statistical interpretations :smallamused:

WingedCheetah
2007-07-30, 03:49 PM
This situation just screams 'no good' to me.

1. There was no discussion or unanimous decision among the family. Whatever breed of dog, it's going to be around for a while (one would hope) and the entire family needs to be in understanding of the implications and repsonbilities of owning a dog. I don't know your family's history with pets, but any spur-of-the-moment idea to get any pet is not good. Where did they get it from? Was it a shelter dog, or specifically bred? Was there any sort of contract? Spay/neuter or otherwise? Were they going for cheapest, biggest, meanest, or what? Did they do any research or just settled on 'what sounded/looked cool'?

2. I would far more trust a pure-blooded wolf than a hybrid. Not to say they can't be brought up to be well adjusted, socialized creatures, but that it takes a trained hand and experience. Has anyone in your family ever raised a challenging pet before?

3. Your attitude indicates to me that you are more concerned with the image your new dog portrays than the wellbeing of the animal. Calling it 'kick-ass' because it has part wolf, and not even bothering with a name until asked, and then naming it 'destroyer of worlds' disheartens me greatly, and makes me think you consider this animal as more of a possession and statement than a living, breathing thing that requires love and attention.

I just hope I'm wrong about all this, but it seems like a worst-case scenario to me. And before anyone questions my motives or background, I grew up around well bred, purebred dogs that were always trained. When I started looking for a dog, I did 2 years research on the breed alone (Basenji) and another 1 1/2 on the breeder (hicotn.com). What I received was the best friend I could ever ask for, who was only 6 generations from the wilds of Africa. With advice from the breeder and careful work, she has gone from a skittish, wary pup to a pushover sweetheart lapdog.

blackout
2007-07-30, 04:52 PM
I was kidding about the name, by the way. We named her Sarah. I was just kidding. What, you thought we could actually fit THAT on the name tag? :smalltongue:

Ok, 1: The dog was specifically bred. No contracts, apparently, or I would've seen the paper. Spayed, yes. My parents did plenty of research, and yes, they are telling me this as I type. :smallannoyed:

2: My mom did. A saint bernard. Lived to a ripe old age, apparently.

3: Yes, yes, I may seem to think the dog is an object, but she is just the sweetest little thing you could ever imagine. I've been feeding her, playing with her, and even keeping her from munching on chocolate. In the short time I've known this dog, she's grown on me. She acts more like a domesticated dog than a wolf, oddly enough. :smallconfused: But, still, a dog in general is cool. You can't deny that.

daggaz
2007-07-30, 05:17 PM
Dude. Stop calling it a dog. It is NOT a dog. Would you call a half human/half chimpanzee a human? Would you expect it to exhibit fully normal human behavior?

You have a dangerous animal which requires FAR more care, attention, and respect than any dog ever would, and it will require this for many, many years. Do you realize what this care entails? Are you even aware of the legal implications of owning a half-wolf in your area?

You and your whole family seriously need to actually read up on this whole issue, the link posted earlier was pretty good, except that imho, it didnt do enough to actively discourage people from owning such a hybrid animal.

WingedCheetah
2007-07-30, 05:18 PM
I feel much better, thanks for answering my reply. :-) I tend to get a little worked up about this, especially about irresponsible breeding. I'm a dog groomer, and am constantly confronted by poorly bred, poorly looked after animals, and it breaks my heart, when it could be avoided with a little research and self-honesty. :-)

I do hope we get pictures!

blackout
2007-07-30, 05:33 PM
Dude. Stop calling it a dog. It is NOT a dog. Would you call a half human/half chimpanzee a human? Would you expect it to exhibit fully normal human behavior?

You have a dangerous animal which requires FAR more care, attention, and respect than any dog ever would, and it will require this for many, many years. Do you realize what this care entails? Are you even aware of the legal implications of owning a half-wolf in your area?

You and your whole family seriously need to actually read up on this whole issue, the link posted earlier was pretty good, except that imho, it didnt do enough to actively discourage people from owning such a hybrid animal.

Ok, I don't which side of you bed you crawled out of today, but, rest assured, Sarah is recieving plenty of attention from me and the rest of the family. :smallannoyed:

feel much better, thanks for answering my reply. :-) I tend to get a little worked up about this, especially about irresponsible breeding. I'm a dog groomer, and am constantly confronted by poorly bred, poorly looked after animals, and it breaks my heart, when it could be avoided with a little research and self-honesty. :-)

I do hope we get pictures!

Sorry, dude, no cameras in sight. :smallfrown:

Yiel
2007-07-30, 07:35 PM

Most modern wolf species AND the domestic dog are members of genus Canis. Humans are from the genus Homo, and Chimpanzees are from the more minor genus Pan. Though some scientists have argued to have Chimps included in the genus Homo, they have too many differences.

Hence, humans and chimpanzees are possibly less related to each other than wolves and the domestic dog. :smallbiggrin: I could be wrong though, its been a few years since I did any of this at school.

On a more related note, I want to see pictures of Sarah! My family's dog when I was quite young was half-dingo, and though he could have been a vicious dog, with all the love and care he received he was a gentle sweetheart. :smallsmile:

zeratul
2007-07-30, 07:39 PM
So the next time I see a bear, I can punch it in the face, knowing that my chances of being killed by one are "really low"? Heh, alright, thanks for the statistical interpretations :smallamused:

You realize I admitted the stupidity of my using those statistics in this case right?

StickMan
2007-07-30, 09:29 PM

OK as much as I'm not a big fan of the wolf dog thing, wolfs and dogs are technically the same species. Honestly the only difference is which genes in dogs and wolfs are active and a few other genes that are common in dogs that do not exist in wolfs.

Saying dogs are not wolfs is like saying that a group of humans from one side of the planet that are short are a species that a group of humans that are tall on the other. The only difference is a few genes. So in a way your right his dog is a wolf, but then so is mine.

Syka
2007-07-30, 10:19 PM
They are canines. Dogs refer to the domesticated animal, wolves (and other terms) the wild. I think the best comparison would be homo sapiens sapiens (us) and neanderthals. Close enough to mate and produce viable offspring, but not close enough to be considered the same. There are differences.

Cheers,
Syka

StickMan
2007-07-30, 10:31 PM
They are canines. Dogs refer to the domesticated animal, wolves (and other terms) the wild. I think the best comparison would be homo sapiens sapiens (us) and neanderthals. Close enough to mate and produce viable offspring, but not close enough to be considered the same. There are differences.

Cheers,
Syka

Actually there is no prof of that. Its a debate that rages between rages in scientific circles but there has been no hard proof. Most scientists in the field will say they can not or that there is no evidence. (After History, pre-history is my favorite subject, in the area of human races and prehistoric mammals:smallbiggrin: )