PDA

View Full Version : Directing a mount?

SangoProduction
2017-02-21, 05:45 AM
I am going to be playing a character that has to share its actions between 2 bodies. As a martial character, that's really not ideal. So, in order to move both of them, I'm wanting to pick up a mount.

So, what action does it take to direct a war-trained mount?

Darrin
2017-02-21, 09:05 AM
So, what action does it take to direct a war-trained mount?

As per the Ride skill, PHB p. 80:

"If you direct your war-trained mount to attack in battle, you can still make your own attack or attacks normally. This usage is a free action."

This is a DC 10 Ride check. However, the rules never actually state what happens when you fail that check.

I would guess that you have to spend a move action to control a mount, but that's normally a DC 20 Ride check, and it only applies to mounts that are not trained for war. If it's just a move action to direct your mount without another Ride or Handle Animal check, then it's likely you can just ignore the DC 10 Ride check to begin with, since you probably weren't using your move action for anything interesting in the first place.

Stewzors
2017-02-21, 09:13 AM
I believe that as standard directing a mount is a handle animal check as a move action and the mount will "obey" on its next turn. If you are riding it then there's a ride check for attacking and stuff, but I think they are free actions.

Also think when Druids/Rangers direct their animal companions it's a free action.

Edit - I type slower and don't provide sources. Post above is much better <3