PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What do you need to make a bag of holding?

Amewsing Soules
2017-02-21, 06:47 AM
I'm an Artificer using the unearthed arcana. I need to know the materials to make one. Does anyone have an idea on this?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-21, 07:20 AM
As far as I'm aware, there is no RAW on this. Given that a Bag of Holding is uncommon, I would think it doesn't need any particularly rare materials; it's just a bag with some magic in it.

You'll have to ask your DM though. Maybe they will say it needs to have sphinx feathers woven into it or something, to make your life a bit more difficult. Or if they really don't want you to have one, they could stipulate that you need to cast Demiplane in order to make it. That'd be extreme, obviously, but it is the closest spell to what a Bag of Holding does.

Amewsing Soules
2017-02-21, 07:28 AM
As far as I'm aware, there is no RAW on this. Given that a Bag of Holding is uncommon, I would think it doesn't need any particularly rare materials; it's just a bag with some magic in it.

You'll have to ask your DM though. Maybe they will say it needs to have sphinx feathers woven into it or something, to make your life a bit more difficult. Or if they really don't want you to have one, they could stipulate that you need to cast Demiplane in order to make it. That'd be extreme, obviously, but it is the closest spell to what a Bag of Holding does.

Thanks. :) My DM just wants me to have to make it out of something, we just escaped a Drow prison, we don't even have bags. But, what concerns me is that if I lose my bag of holding, it costs 1000 gp in materials to make another one. We started in the prison and upon escaping we got to level 2.

hymer
2017-02-21, 07:45 AM
Thanks. :) My DM just wants me to have to make it out of something, we just escaped a Drow prison, we don't even have bags. But, what concerns me is that if I lose my bag of holding, it costs 1000 gp in materials to make another one. We started in the prison and upon escaping we got to level 2.

How about weaving it from strands of phase spider silk? *has flashback to murdering giant archnids by the hundreds to farm their webs in WoW* :smalleek:

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-21, 07:50 AM
How about weaving it from strands of phase spider silk? *has flashback to murdering giant archnids by the hundreds to farm their webs in WoW* :smalleek:

Seems thematically appropriate. Phase spiders clearly have conjuration magic in their blood, after all.

You need to be level 3 to make a Bag of Holding. Especially as an artificer, because they don't even get spellcasting (which you need to craft any magic items) until level 3. Scratch that. They have a class feature that lets them bypass this, apparently.

Amewsing Soules
2017-02-21, 07:55 AM
Seems thematically appropriate. Phase spiders clearly have conjuration magic in their blood, after all.

You need to be level 3 to make a Bag of Holding. Especially as an artificer, because they don't even get spellcasting (which you need to craft any magic items) until level 3. Scratch that. They have a class feature that lets them bypass this, apparently.

Wondrous Invention
Choose the item from the
list of 2nd-level items below.
Crafting an item is a difficult task. When you
gain a magic item from this feature, it reflects
long hours of study, tinkering, and
experimentation that allowed you to finally
complete the item. You are assumed to work on
this item in your leisure time and to finish it
when you level up. These magic items are detailed in the Dungeon
Master’s Guide.

2nd Level: bag of holding, cap of water breathing,
driftglobe, goggles of night, sending stones.

I do like phase spiders though. Thank you. :)

Edit: I just saw your edit, but yes, it's a class feature.

Cespenar
2017-02-21, 08:04 AM
If that's the campaign I think it is, there are some magical mushrooms that can enlarge or shrink you which you can find in a certain place. Maybe those can be an ingredient as well.

Amewsing Soules
2017-02-21, 08:07 AM
If that's the campaign I think it is, there are some magical mushrooms that can enlarge or shrink you which you can find in a certain place. Maybe those can be an ingredient as well.

I like it, we have a ranger specialized in the underdark too, so we could work on finding those pretty well. :) Side quest!

Joe the Rat
2017-02-21, 10:02 AM
Home game, Bags of holding are almost exclusively made by one group of wood elves, using phase spider silk. It's an ingredient of portable holes in the old games.

Using pygmy cap (stalk fibers, or in a reduction as a cure/pigment) is a great idea as well. Or a weave or treating one side with pygmy cap, the other with bighead.

You could look at using Duergar hair, but only as a last resort.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-02-21, 10:10 AM
Astral alpaca insulates well.

Amewsing Soules
2017-02-21, 12:44 PM
Home game, Bags of holding are almost exclusively made by one group of wood elves, using phase spider silk. It's an ingredient of portable holes in the old games.

Using pygmy cap (stalk fibers, or in a reduction as a cure/pigment) is a great idea as well. Or a weave or treating one side with pygmy cap, the other with bighead.

You could look at using Duergar hair, but only as a last resort.

Thank you, stuff like this is exactly what I was hoping to be told about. :smallsmile: I don't know too much about the under dark, or materials, I usually play more straight forward characters. So this has been really helpful.

DasKnight
2018-08-19, 12:50 AM
How about weaving it from strands of phase spider silk? :smalleek:

Problem with phase spider silk, they don't spin webs....... legendary ingredient of the mutant, one-off, phase spider that has spinnerets...:smallcool:

Malifice
2018-08-19, 01:27 AM
The scrotum of a giant blink dog.

Biggstick
2018-08-19, 01:28 AM
While it is 3rd party material, Tome of Beasts has such a creature one could make a Bag of Holding from. It's called a Zimwi (page 415). The trick to the creature is that while it itself is a medium sized creature, it's stomach is larger then it's body, extending extra-dimensionally. This eventually drives the creature insane, as it always feels hungry.

If you can kill the creature (it's a CR 4) and bring it's stomach to the right folks, it can easily be converted into a Bag of Holding. :)

Avigor
2018-08-19, 04:44 AM
You need moke skin and expertise in the Undetectable Expansion Charm, naturally.