PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Versatile Spellcaster Feat question and more.

Lucius
2017-02-21, 07:13 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to combine spell slots created by the Versatile Spellcaster Feat from Races of the Dragon, page 101.

For example:

I combine two 0th-level spell slots to create a 1st-level spell slot twice, then combine those two 1st-level spell slots to create a 2nd-level spell slot to cast Invisibility.

Is that possible? If not, would you allow it?

Also, I heard there's a feat that allows you to do the opposite and break down a higher level spell into two spells 1 level lower. Does anyone know what it's called or where it's from?

If I use both those feats, and they work like i think they do, I can use my lower and higher level spell slots to maximize the amount of middle level spell slots I have which could be interesting, especially for a character using Arcane Thesis and the like to focus on one favored spell.

Deophaun
2017-02-21, 07:23 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to combine spell slots created by the Versatile Spellcaster Feat...
Versatile Spellcaster doesn't create spell slots. It lets you cast a higher level spell directly from two lower-level spell slots.

Which should answer your question.

And no, I wouldn't allow it, because fixed-list casters exist, and that would allow them to cast level 3 spells at level 1. Granted, not the most useful allocation of resources, but give it a few levels.

Karl Aegis
2017-02-21, 07:50 AM
You have to spend the spell slot immediately. So no, no combining with combining shenanigans. It's already gone by the time you try to combine it with that other thing.

Zaq
2017-02-21, 11:17 AM
The other posters are correct in that it can't be chained.

To answer your other question, the feat Arcane Manipulation (Lost Empires of Faerun, pg. 6) allows you to break down up to three high-level slots into multiple low-level slots, but the low-level slots can only total the level of the original slot. (So you can break down a 2nd level slot into a pair of 1st levels, but you can only break a 3rd level slot into a 2nd level and a 1st level, or alternately into three 1st levels.) It has a prereq of being a Wizard, and it only works on prepared spells, but it doesn't specify that it only works on Wizard slots.

flappeercraft
2017-02-21, 06:05 PM
I fourth this. Would not work RAW or what seems to be RAI.

Grim Reader
2017-02-22, 04:12 AM
Yes. Versatile Spellcaster does not at any point create spell slots.