PDA

View Full Version : Disease/Plaguelord caster build?

RumoCrytuf
2017-02-21, 01:43 PM
Heyo playgrounders,

I was playing around with an idea for a character concept. This concept is a caster of some kind that relies of disease and sickness as their weapons of choice. However, when I went through a list of spells I had on hand (not an extremely thorough list, but still) the only spell that thematically fit was Ray of Sickness and maybe Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Are there any other spells that fit this character? Or homebrew that can fit the bill?

Sir cryosin
2017-02-21, 01:59 PM
Heyo playgrounders,

I was playing around with an idea for a character concept. This concept is a caster of some kind that relies of disease and sickness as their weapons of choice. However, when I went through a list of spells I had on hand (not an extremely thorough list, but still) the only spell that thematically fit was Ray of Sickness and maybe Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Are there any other spells that fit this character? Or homebrew that can fit the bill?

Just pick spells with desired effects and describe how to spell looks and how it's affecting the creature. Like slow. The target's body starts to heat up they become sluggish. Scribe like the flu or some kind of a disease.

X3r4ph
2017-02-21, 02:08 PM
The new Lore Wizard can change spells on the fly. Both which save they require and damage type. It is basically made so you can flavor your spells as you like. Fireball that deals necrotic damage? Sure. Call it Filth Ball... or Plague Bomb... or Spore Explosion.

Gryndle
2017-02-21, 02:22 PM
if you are willing to stretch the concept a bit, any spell with poison, necrotic or any incapacitating effect could be used to represent causing sickness. and that expands your spell choices quite a bit

comk59
2017-02-21, 02:33 PM
Make Acid Splash be a large boil that you grow and burst on a creature.

Gryndle
2017-02-21, 03:26 PM
yep, lots of stuff that can used to represent making your target sick. Poison Spray, the rays of sickness/enfeeblement, ray of frost (for those colds where you just don't move as well), stinking cloud, cloud kill, blight, etc.
I can even see fluffing vicious mockery and dissonant whispers as giving your target a migraine. And as someone that suffers from Chronic Migraine Disease, I can say that's just downright dirty, wrong and a must for a critter you just hate.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-21, 03:39 PM
I've seen two people play this character concept. One was a plague doctor and the other one was a vooboo witchdoctor. One was a necromancer wizard and the other was I forgot I think some cleric.

Sans.
2017-02-21, 04:49 PM
Obviously Contagion, and, weirdly, Harm:

You unleash a virulent disease on a creature that you can see within range. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save...

Hathorym
2017-02-21, 06:17 PM
Your thread inspired me to make something with a similar concept that has been knocking around in my head all day.

Vuman Undying (SCAG) Bladelock with the versatile Longsword reskinned as a Scythe. Not the usual sort of concept in play, but I got it to work thematically, especially with some of the new invocations

Beechgnome
2017-02-21, 06:39 PM
What everyone else said re: spell reflavouring. You could make your own plaguelord warlock with unique powers, and then select a couple spells for levels 1 to 5 from other classes with an eye to disease, hallucinations and debuffs.

Something like:

1st Ray of sickness, Inflict wounds
2nd Blindness/deafness, Phantasmal force
3rd Stinking cloud, slow
4th Confusion, Phantasmal killer
5th Contagion, insect plague

Maxilian
2017-02-22, 10:04 AM
The new Lore Wizard can change spells on the fly. Both which save they require and damage type. It is basically made so you can flavor your spells as you like. Fireball that deals necrotic damage? Sure. Call it Filth Ball... or Plague Bomb... or Spore Explosion.

I think this is one of the best ideas here, you could also just go with Death Cleric that will also give you this feel. (But those affected by your plague, may come back to life as undead in some point)