PDA

View Full Version : Player Help are there any cool paper/origami based classes?

leeooo
2017-02-21, 01:59 PM
hey everyone! as the title suggests, i'm searching for a rad origami/paper class to use in one of my campaigns, it would be amazing if there was some sort of.. bard class that incorporated paper/origami into it, do any of you rad dudes/dudettes know of a class like that?

Sigreid
2017-02-21, 02:05 PM
No, but I can think of no reason you can't take any caster and make oragomy replace the current v s m requirements.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-21, 02:17 PM
Hmm... there's a College of Calligraphy here (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/04/college-of-calligraphy.html), which is kind of similar to what you want...

We also have a Shugenja class here (https://www.patreon.com/posts/shugenja-7953068); a paper-talisman-caster with an East Asian theme. It's only available to our patrons, though.

leeooo
2017-02-22, 07:59 AM
that shugenja class sounds pretty nice, i can't really become a patron though, im too poor :(

XmonkTad
2017-02-22, 08:08 AM
Illusionist could duplicate an origami caster nicely, but that's a playstyle that might not be the first thing that you think of when you say "caster". Illusory script + malleable illusions is a fun combination.

I'm picturing a goblin horde running from an illusory dragon, finally getting the courage to return to the area and finding a paper tiger on the ground.

QUARE
2017-02-22, 08:09 AM
Take the Tavern Brawler and Sharpshooter Feats. Then throw origami at people as an improvised weapon.

JeenLeen
2017-02-22, 09:15 AM
As others have said, no, but you could ask your DM if you can alter the fluff for spellcasting.

Some DMs would likely say no, but I reckon many would see how it has no mechanical benefit, only personal enjoyment.

Really, I could see this working well for Bard, Wizard (especially if fluff that your spellbook is calligraphy or an assortment of finely-made origami pieces--maybe when you cast a spell you use a short-term model based off the 'spellbook'), or Sorcerer. Warlock seems to clash more with the fluff, but you could probably make it work.

This could potentially work for cleric, too, especially if your DM allows there to be some minor deity of calligraphy, origami, or paper. Your holy symbol could be an ornate origami piece and religious devotion includes making and giving our origami.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-22, 09:21 AM
minor deity of calligraphy, origami, or paper.

Like Deneir in Forgotten Realms.

Oh, and I had an idea. Critique is welcome!

Way of the Folded Crane

Folded Crane Stance
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can utilise a unique combat technique that allows you to 'fold' your opponents. When you attempt to grapple a target, you may make a Dexterity (Athletics) check instead of Strength (Athletics).

Improvisational Origami
Also at 3rd level, you can use your action to fold a sheet of paper or parchment into an inanimate object. This object can be no larger than 1 foot on a side and weighs 0.1 pounds, and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. If you make a weapon or piece of ammunition, it is treated as an improvised weapon for everyone other than you.
The object functions normally 1 minute or until it takes any damage, at which it becomes crumpled an useless. The sheet cannot be recovered.

Paper Cut
At 6th level, you can inflict intense pain, even without dealing significant damage. Whenever a creature makes a melee attack against you, you can use your reaction to force it to make a Constitution saving throw (DC = 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failure, it is incapacitated until the beginning of your next turn.

Senbazuru
By 11th level, your dedication to the way of the folded crane brings you supernaturally good luck. Whenever you roll dice for any reason, you can spend 1 ki point to re-roll a die; if it is a d20 roll you must choose to re-roll after the dice are rolled, but before you know the result. You must accept the new result; each die can only be re-rolled once; but you may spend multiple ki points to re-roll several dice at the same time.

Living Origami
When you reach 17th level, you learn secret techniques for bringing folded paper to life. You can spend 6 ki points to cast the Animate Objects spell on any origami object(s) you have created, and you can spend 8 ki points to cast Simulacrum, creating a paper copy of the target creature that lasts for 24 hours. You can only sustain one origami simulacrum at a time, and each one requires 100 sheets of paper or parchment to make.

JeenLeen
2017-02-22, 01:24 PM
Cool. I didn't now Forgotten Realms had that.
Also, lacking such a deity, any Knowledge god might reasonably count as that, in the sense of paper --> recorded knowledge --> Knowledge.

Monastic Tradition

From a quick glance, seems in line with other powers of equivalent level I've seen. I like how Improvised Origami is similar to Conjuration wizards.
Paper Cut giving incapacitated seems too strong. Maybe stunned?
For Senbazu, note when you decide to re-roll. I reckon "after the dice are rolled, but before you know the result" but it's good to be explicit.
For Living Origami, I'd recommend adding a note about how much paper costs according to the PHB, since that is basically a consumed material component for the 'spell'.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-22, 01:40 PM
From a quick glance, seems in line with other powers of equivalent level I've seen. I like how Improvised Origami is similar to Conjuration wizards.
Paper Cut giving incapacitated seems too strong. Maybe stunned?
For Senbazu, note when you decide to re-roll. I reckon "after the dice are rolled, but before you know the result" but it's good to be explicit.
For Living Origami, I'd recommend adding a note about how much paper costs according to the PHB, since that is basically a consumed material component for the 'spell'.

Thanks for the notes, I'll implement the 'when to re-roll' part and if I ever publish this properly, I'll add a sidebar about paper types and costs (probably including exotic paper types). Stunned is actually a lot stronger than incapacitated, though. And given that the reaction triggers on being attacked, the 'cannot act' part of incapacitation (i.e. the main part) is probably irrelevant 90% of the time.

JeenLeen
2017-02-22, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the notes, I'll implement the 'when to re-roll' part and if I ever publish this properly, I'll add a sidebar about paper types and costs (probably including exotic paper types). Stunned is actually a lot stronger than incapacitated, though. And given that the reaction triggers on being attacked, the 'cannot act' part of incapacitation (i.e. the main part) is probably irrelevant 90% of the time.

Ah, right you are. I was thinking of Unconscious, not Incapacitated.

solidork
2017-02-22, 05:11 PM
Instead of having your powers explicitly coming from folding actual paper, you could have someone who flavors their magic as folding reality/the weave (kind of like Symmetra from Overwatch). You could still pursue actual paper origami as a more mundane art-form, especially since it would speak to how you interact with magic.