PDA

View Full Version : Player Help hey everyone! are there any cool paper/origami classes?

leeooo
2017-02-21, 02:03 PM
heyo, as the title says, i've been wondering if there are any cool classes that incorporate paper into them, it would be even better if said class was some sort of.. bard that incorporates paper into its entertainment/fighting regime and in a way gives the paper life so that it can either dance around and entertain people, or tear them apart

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-21, 02:07 PM
You can refluff your summoning spells, even using Spell Thematics. You can refluff Greenbound Summoning, as well. You can refluff your illusion spells. You can take levels in Geometer, and instead of using ink to draw glyph spells, you fold glyphs. Lots of things you can do just by saying it.

Mechanically, you can build paper golems.

Rerednaw
2017-02-21, 02:19 PM
Pathfinder has an origami swarm magical item.

Venger
2017-02-21, 02:29 PM
is there a specific character whose motif you'd like to recreate? this sounds somewhat familiar. you could always do something like effigy master and make paper golems (they're hidden in dragon magazine somewhere, so ask your gm)

Vogie
2017-02-21, 02:46 PM
Pathfinder has a oft-maligned wizard Prc called "Scrollmaster" where you literally dual wield scrolls as masterwork swords, shields, or both.

Darrin
2017-02-21, 02:53 PM
Take the Craft Talisman feat (Oriental Adventures) and any spellcasting class becomes an origami class. (It's basically a refluffed Brew Potion feat where potion = origami.)

Venger
2017-02-21, 02:58 PM
Take the Craft Talisman feat (Oriental Adventures) and any spellcasting class becomes an origami class. (It's basically a refluffed Brew Potion feat where potion = origami.)

On that note, you may consider refluffing tome and blood's candlecaster, and just say you burn paper instead of candles.

DrMotives
2017-02-21, 04:10 PM
There was a paper golem in some Dragon magazine article (#341) on low-CR golems. Paper golem was an origami monster, CR 1 that can build by a 5th level caster. Might be the only printed use of craft (origami) anywhere outside of maybe Rokugon stuff.

Palanan
2017-02-21, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by leeooo
…bard that incorporates paper into its entertainment/fighting regime and in a way gives the paper life so that it can either dance around and entertain people….

Originally Posted by Venger
is there a specific character whose motif you'd like to recreate? this sounds somewhat familiar.

Sounds like Kubo to me. :smallsmile:

Bard with Perform (shamisen) could be a good place to start.

Dagroth
2017-02-22, 02:48 AM
Sounds like the Paper masters of the anime Read or Die. :D

The Scrollmaster PRC sounds like a good start. Of course, the characters in the Anime had insane levels of telekinetic control over paper. Including things like making 3x5 cards held in their hand bullet-proof and creating giant origami animals & figures that could defeat modern soldiers.

Manyasone
2017-02-22, 03:00 AM
Well, in pathfinder you can use the supplement 'advanced bestiary' from green ronin. In it there is a template called 'ofuda' and a feat called 'legion of folded paper'. I suggest you take a look at these. The advanced bestiary also had a 3.5 variant but I don't know if it also contains this material

ShurikVch
2017-02-22, 01:15 PM
Well, Shugenja uses ofudas. Does it fit?

Paper of Forms (10000 gp, Oriental Adventures) allow with Craft (origami) to produce either Animal (up to Large size), or nonmagical item up to 1000 cubic feet

Also, because paper is an object you can just animate it - with Animate Objects, Minor Servitor, bounded Ravid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ravid.htm), or Fiend of Possession

Dragon #156 (2nd edition) have Paper Dragon - it's Tiny and feed on spellbooks

leeooo
2017-02-24, 09:03 PM
sorry for not replying earlier! and yeah, what im going for is the character kubo from kubo and the two strings (somewhat), and mind showing me the shugenja?

DrMotives
2017-02-24, 09:39 PM
sorry for not replying earlier! and yeah, what im going for is the character kubo from kubo and the two strings (somewhat), and mind showing me the shugenja?

Shugenja are from OA in 3.0, updated to 3.5 in Complete Divine. They're a base class divine caster which has spell list with many wiz/sor spells on it as well as traditional cleric spells. They do have to pick an element to specialize in (air, water, fire, earth) and a shugenja school which affects their spell list, as they can't use spells from the opposite element.