PDA

View Full Version : What's Going on in O-Chul's Head?

Callista
2007-07-23, 06:12 PM
I've always rather liked O-Chul, ever since he first appeared in the comic. Whether he's scooping Mr. Scruffy's litter box or offering to give his life for the defense of the Gate (represented by entirely the wrong miniatures), it seems he's doomed to forever have his dignity completely ignored.

What I like about him is that he doesn't get angry or frustrated; he just scoops the litter box and keeps going. He's proof you can still be honorable even if you aren't allowed a smidge of dignity. No wonder his paladins were able to rally after their ignominious defeat at the hands of Xykon's rubber bouncy ball.

So here's the question: Is O-chul's honor going to hold up? Is he going to come out of this, and still feel it's worthwhile to do his duty, to be a paladin? He's always seemed to come through the minor indignities pretty much intact before.

But there's a difference between cleaning up after a cat and being turned into a stuffed toy for an evil five-year-old. So is this finally going to be too much for him? And if it is, what'll become of him?

And what, exactly, is he thinking right now?

Emperor Ing
2007-07-23, 06:18 PM
BEHOLD!! THE REVEALATION!! Using the pinnacle of magical fusion, we can combine Lich Sorcery and Telepathy to get inside the very mind of O'chul himself! Beehhoollldd!!!

This is it, the last resort. Destroy the gate and prevent evil from capturing it. I pray to the twelve gods that they will smile on this deed
...wow

Scarab83
2007-07-23, 06:22 PM
BEHOLD!! THE REVEALATION!! Using the pinnacle of magical fusion, we can combine Lich Sorcery and Telepathy to get inside the very mind of O'chul himself! Beehhoollldd!!!

This is it, the last resort. Destroy the gate and prevent evil from capturing it. I pray to the twelve gods that they will smile on this deed
...wow

I don't get it.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-23, 06:22 PM
Well, considering that Xykon continued to speak to O'Chul after having paralyzed him, I think it's likely that he can hear everything that's going on around him. Additionally, he can see everything so long as it passes through his fixed field of vision.

I think that the contents of O'Chul's thought processes at this time would make an absolutely awesome future strip.

"Hey kids, see what the paladin is thinking!"

chionophile
2007-07-23, 06:24 PM
I don't get it.

I think The Randomizer was trying to say that O'Chul is thinking the same thing he was thinking when Xykon paralyzed him. I don't know the mechanics of paralyzation, but I don't think that's accurate

yoshi927
2007-07-23, 06:25 PM
I don't get it.Well, the last thing he did before being paralyzed was run up to destroy the gate. I think the assumption is that paralyzing stopped his brain from working too. :smallbiggrin:

Twilight Jack
2007-07-23, 06:40 PM
Well, the last thing he did before being paralyzed was run up to destroy the gate. I think the assumption is that paralyzing stopped his brain from working too. :smallbiggrin:

It didn't though. Not according to the SRD's description of paralysis. The fact that Xykon kept speaking to him afterwards supports that interpretation. He is only prevented from taking physical actions. Hell, if he were a sorcerer with the silent and still spell and eschew materials feats, he could still cast. He just couldn't aim. . .

Username
2007-07-23, 07:19 PM
I agree! I want to know what O-Chul has been thinking!

Korias
2007-07-23, 07:37 PM
Ochul is thinking...

Why Me?

Scarab83
2007-07-23, 07:38 PM
He's probably just thinking, "Hmm, did I go to Wendy's twice yesterday? I think I did..."

teratorn
2007-07-23, 07:43 PM
O-Chul is thinking:
«Why do they keep calling me O'Chul?»

MReav
2007-07-23, 07:48 PM
My ideas on what may or may not be going through O-Chul's head:

"I really need to blink..."

"O-CHUL IS NOT HAPPY!"

"I'm hungry..."

"Man I'm getting cramps..."

"...*censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored*...."

"Miko you stupid bitch!"

"Wow... Miko looks kinda hot in grey..."

"Oh thank the Twelve Gods that I don't need somatic components for Lay on Hands."

"SOMEONE CAST REMOVE PARALYSIS ON ME!!!"

"Note to self: When the thing's asleep, summon my mount to drag me away."

Recursive
2007-07-23, 07:49 PM
"My nose itches!"

RocketBard
2007-07-23, 08:00 PM
O-Chul was having a great time with the MitD, until those darned adventurers showed-up! This is what he was thinking.

Yay! I get to go back and play!

Belkar's Left Foot
2007-07-23, 08:06 PM
"Dear gods why me?! I've spent my entire life being faithful to you, prepared to sacrifice my life for the gate, and I get thrown to the monster under the kitty umbrella, and I have scones waved in front of me, as well as tea, which I enjoy tremendously, and then cannot consume them!"
"To make matters worse Greenhilt appears to have been killed by Xykon, the battle seems to have been lost for good"

" Now the halfling and Rogue have come to save me.....and now they're cooking...great, now they're taking me yes!"
"wait, what no no please no!!!"
"Why gods, why have you cursed me so??!!!???"

Charity322
2007-07-23, 08:30 PM
"Dear gods why me?! I've spent my entire life being faithful to you, prepared to sacrifice my life for the gate, and I get thrown to the monster under the kitty umbrella, and I have scones waved in front of me, as well as tea, which I enjoy tremendously, and then cannot consume them!"

What's worse is that the kitty umbrella has a white kitty! He still can't escape Mr Scruffy lol.

What I think is going through his mind? "Somebody save me!" :smallbiggrin:

Callista
2007-07-23, 08:45 PM
Yeah, sorry, fixed the spelling. Yet another minor indignity for the paralyzed paladin...

Tirian
2007-07-23, 09:20 PM
It didn't though. Not according to the SRD's description of paralysis. The fact that Xykon kept speaking to him afterwards supports that interpretation.

I don't know about that. Xykon continues talking to this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html) even after killing him. One suspects that Xykon is aware (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html) that he is a character in a serialized comic strip.

Still, if lich paralysis doesn't cease the function of O-Chul's lungs or heart, it's pretty hard to conclude that it freezes his brain, eardrums, or retinas. (It's not a very good effect, is it.) I suppose it's possible that he's thinking "Damn, it sure is bright out here" because his irises can't adjust to not being in the throne room.

(ETA: okay, and having thought it out for an extra minute, he was staring right at a gate that exploded in a nova-like way around five feet in front of him. If his brain wasn't affected by the paralysis, then his visual cortex should be crispy and good with ketchup right now.)

stickygoo
2007-07-23, 09:39 PM
"Nintey-nine bottles of saki on teh wall, nintey-nine bottles of saki..."
:smallfurious:

Porthos
2007-07-23, 11:42 PM
(ETA: okay, and having thought it out for an extra minute, he was staring right at a gate that exploded in a nova-like way around five feet in front of him. If his brain wasn't affected by the paralysis, then his visual cortex should be crispy and good with ketchup right now.)

His visual cortex made it's save. :smalltongue:

PS:

A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions.

So, O-Chul is aware of what is going on around him. And probably hating every second of it. :smallsigh:

king korath
2007-07-24, 12:22 AM
This experience is testing his palidinhood in ways he never imagined.

Oberon
2007-07-24, 01:01 AM
Poor guy.

If he ever wakes up he's gonna be SOO pissed off at Belkar. And Miko for that matter.

This means he'll still be around when team evil rendevous with MitD.

I wonder what Xykon will do with him...

Guild Member #6
2007-07-24, 01:43 AM
He's thinking "Don't these fools know what they are dealing with here?!?"

After all, with the time spent in the presence of the MitD, O-Chul will be the biggest expert on him the City has!

Of course, observations on applied tea-party etiquette may not help them so much...

the_tick_rules
2007-07-24, 03:20 AM
seeing my paladins killed was bad enough, but playing tea is just too much!!!

Nomadic
2007-07-24, 03:30 AM
What is going through o-chul's head right now?

If the 12 gods have a drop of mercy in them they will obliterate me from existence right now.

Duric
2007-07-24, 05:24 AM
He does not whine. He is way too tough to wallow in self pity. He probably meditates while waiting for his luck to turn around.

Theodora
2007-07-24, 05:33 AM
He is really pissed off to be called Mr. Stiffly over and over, and because Belkar dropped him. :smallannoyed:

Iron Robin
2007-07-24, 08:09 AM
"Eat the pudding. Eat the pudding. Eat the pudding. Eat the pudding...."

AKA_Bait
2007-07-24, 08:30 AM
My theory:

"My Gods! Why have you forsaken me!"

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-24, 01:16 PM
"enough ****ing Monoply!"

Quikngruvn
2007-07-24, 03:08 PM
He does not whine. He is way too tough to wallow in self pity. He probably meditates while waiting for his luck to turn around.

Yep, he was stoic in the face of the indignities heaped upon him by Shojo, and he'll be just as stoic now. Heck, he's already got the Stiff Upper Lip courtesy of Xykon....

Deme
2007-07-24, 04:15 PM
I think he's thinking what I would in this situation:

"I want to be the hat."

Seriously, he's probably, assuming he is still alive and capable of thought and so on, trying to figure out a way to get away without moving. He's probably run out of plans involving rocket-skates.

Siwenna
2007-07-24, 05:22 PM

I dunno. Miko said that it was hard to meditate with the LInear Guild talking. Imagine trying around MitD. I think his thoughts right now would look something like

*censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* evil halfling *censored* *censored* [something about MitD] *censored* *censored* *censored* *censored* Azure city *censored* hobgoblins *censored* *censored* Xykon.

TheFallenOne
2007-07-24, 08:14 PM
"Oh The Dark One, Great Master of Evil and Destruction, I offer thee my undying soul if you release me from this misery...
Oh, COME ON! Pleeeeeeaase...."

basilisk 89
2007-07-24, 09:16 PM
Going in order from the paralysis:

"What! No! Damn you! Now all hope is lost!"
"As soon as I'm free again, I'm going to >things that wouldn't appear in a PG-13 Movie<...."
"Who's voice is that....is it...no! It couldn't be! Soon Kim is dead. It's just the after-effect playing tricks on me. But what's that fighting going on? Did back-up arrive? But...hey, do you smell fried chicken?"
"Wait...is that...Miko! Thank the Twelve Gods, maybe there is still hope!"
"Even in death may I be triumphant!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"
"OW! AGH! My leg! My arm! My back! My neck! My spleen! Oh, sweet, merciful Twelve Gods the pain! The pain! Wait...pain. I'm still alive! I'm still alive! I wonder if Miko or any of the others made it out."
"Who're you? Is this...a tea party?!"
"No! Scones! And they're...fat free! NO! AH! Help me!!!"
"What! No fair. I wanted to be the car this time."
"Stop calling me Mr. Stiffly! The name's O-Chul, got it?! O. -Chul.
"Hey, isn't that Roy Bluepommel or something? Lord Hinjo's bodyguard? Where was he when the lich attacked the throne! That was his responsibility. Wait...does he have the X's in his eyes? Crap!"
"Is that...is that that rogue girl Lord Hinjo employed? And..oh, lovely...the halfling is with her[/sarcasmcheck]. But at least maybe she can get me out of this horrible nightmare!"
"Ugh, tell me about it!"
"Stew?! He wants stew?! Just put mud in a bowl and mix it with some grass, I guarantee this guy is too stupid to be able to tell the difference."
"Thank the Twelve Gods! I'm finally free! I need to get to Lord Hinjo, he may be in danger! Faster, halfling, faster!"
"What're you doing? No! Stop! Ahhhhhhhh! Oh no...that things is coming back...unhand me you cretin! I have important business to attend to!"
"****."

Angela Christine
2007-07-25, 04:05 PM
Miko didn't become a Blackguard, but there's still hope for O-chul.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-26, 01:10 PM
hes probably really annoyed that he cant do anything off strip, 'cuz hes paralyzed.

like hilgya and durkon here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html).
and the oots here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html).
but he cant, 'cuz hes paralyzed.

Milandros
2007-07-26, 10:01 PM
I suspect:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......"

MReav
2007-07-26, 10:41 PM
"Still a better day than the one that Mr. Scruffy got into the spoilt sushi."

"If Dignity were a stat, mine would be perma-drained to zero"

"Oh bikini-wearing Lien, you are the only thing keeping me sane."

"...Miko and Lien nude wrestling in chocolate pudding... Miko and Lien nude wrestling in chocolate pudding... Miko and Lien nude wrestling in chocolate pudding... "

"You know... you'd never think it, but this thing's hands are really soft..."

"Man, rezzing all those Paladins is going to cost a mint."

"Either the gods love me for keeping me alive all this time... or they're scared about just how pissed I'm going to be when I get there!"

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-26, 10:44 PM
'Boop.'

(tenchars)

Rajhiim
2007-07-27, 07:47 AM
"Well, look at the bright side... As long as I am a statue, I might as well start work on my memoirs...

It was a beautiful day, a day like many others in my life except this one would be more memorable than any I had ever experienced. This was the day... Oh *****, that stupid (spoiler) drug me through some mud... Ah I will never get that out of ... I guess it doesnt matter does it. Now, where was I?"

Haha though he is probably repeating some Paladin 101 prayer...

"Oh 12 Gods, in all your power and glory... I ask of thee to grant me the patience to endure this trial, the courage to stand against my enemies and the strength to win the battle... or how about you free me from this cursed condition so that I may go forth and do our noble work?"

Magioth
2007-07-27, 06:43 PM
i dunno..

omg i need to warn everyone about what the mitd actually is, if i dont warn them they will surely die, must escape. :smallannoyed:

seriously though its proberly...hmm i wonder what hinjo is doing with his junk

mvp129
2007-07-27, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't it just absolutely suck if O-Chul got out of his predicament and told Hinjo that Belkar sacrificed his paralyzed body to save himself BEFORE the MoJ was removed? I think Belkar would be eternally screwed..

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 11:14 PM
gods save me. GODS SAVE ME WHY HAVE THOU FORSAKEN ME!!!!!

theinsulabot
2007-07-28, 12:05 AM
wiggle your big toe.

wiggle your big toe.

wiggle your big ****ing toe!

blakyoshi7
2007-07-28, 04:09 AM
"Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow...."
"The scones... they're talking to me... Oh gods, I think I failed a SAN check."

Holy_Knight
2007-07-29, 01:22 AM
I suspect:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......"

Darn, you beat me to it! :smallsmile:

outlander
2007-07-29, 01:49 AM
If it were me, what would be going on in my head would be nice thoughts about giving belkar a napalm enema.

War
2007-07-29, 02:01 AM
I do wonder how long anyone could be stuck like that before the insanity effects start to set in. If he's lucky he's having pleasant hallucinations.

Course, O-Chul is anything but lucky. On that note, the last we saw of him he was receiving absolute confirmation that he will soon be helpless in the hands of Xykon, whose love for creative sadism O-Chul has already witnessed in person. This after false hope, of course, and becoming probably the only good guy who knows where Xykon's phylactery is, and all that other stuff.

So yeah, probably pretty darn unprintable. But look on the bright side! Paladinhood or paralysis or both probably prevents him from soiling himself!

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 02:42 AM
Ironically, he's probably thinking the same exact thing that Belkar said last on 477 if he could see.

Felixaar
2007-07-29, 05:47 AM
something on the verge of "**** **** **** **** **** ****! ****!", though he, a paladin, would never admit to it.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-07-29, 05:55 AM
"The Twelve Gods have allowed me this oppertunity to study our foe, I must pay the utmost attention to him.
Oh, GODS! I'm turning into Miko!"

O.T.R
2007-07-29, 05:55 AM
"Somebody scratch my nose. Please. It's been itching for five straight hours. Please somebody scratch my ******* nose!"

EntilZha
2007-07-30, 11:35 PM
He is really pissed off to be called Mr. Stiffly over and over, and because Belkar dropped him. :smallannoyed:

"Boy, was Miko ever right about the halfling!"

Geilan
2007-07-30, 11:50 PM
(Shortly after being released from paralysis)

Hinjo: O-Chul?
O-Chul: Who's O-Chul? I am MISSES NESBITT! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Demented
2007-07-31, 12:00 AM
"The surface of my eyes feel like salt flats in the summer. What I wouldn't do for a level of psion."

Kurald Galain
2007-07-31, 04:19 AM
Just because Miko wouldn't doesn't mean we don't get a fallen paladin in this strip...

if the Twelve Gods are apparently unwilling to deparalyze him, but certain manipulative forces of darkness are, well...

Kurald Galain
2007-07-31, 04:25 AM
Just because Miko wouldn't doesn't mean we don't get a fallen paladin in this strip...

if the Twelve Gods are apparently unwilling to deparalyze him, but certain manipulative forces of darkness are, well...

Callista
2007-07-31, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't it just absolutely suck if O-Chul got out of his predicament and told Hinjo that Belkar sacrificed his paralyzed body to save himself BEFORE the MoJ was removed? I think Belkar would be eternally screwed..No, that was just self-interest. It wasn't nice, but technically--if it's true that Belkar couldn't have carried O-Chul any further--it's not actually evil, either. The only evil thing Belkar did at that point was not to try to find a way to keep O-Chul with him, as Haley did.

Scatman
2007-07-31, 03:41 PM
"Ill never get to ride Hinjo's junk at this rate!"

"Dear Mental Diary.

I have currently gone insane.I think once Im unparalysed Im going to lick a squid...I like squid.Yum.The monster thingy seems to have dragged the black guy over here for the tea party.I think the warriors name is Cindy or something...Hm.."

"Dear Mental Diary.

I have survived to do entry two whiel Im slowly cooked by disturbing mental images of what the monster will do to us..Or what he is.Hey, is that a giant cookie?..I bet the forum members are wondering about what Im thinking, and some guy that favors playing necromancers is typing this up.I bet Im right.Isnt that right squiggly?*eye twitch*I thought so."

" Dear Mental Diary.

Third tiems the charm, Im going to do something good here!...Mental dance party!Yeah....Shake that *censored*, Miko.Kay, funs over.Im going to continue talking to Cindy.Cindy, do you have any experiences with illithids?Maybe you could get one to end my miserable life.Wait..Is that tea and scones?TORTURE!"

"Dear mental diary.

The halfling threw me back to the monster in the darkness.Yay, I ge tto know him better!But...*sob*Cindy left.Kay, gonna go commit suicide now."

Keri Thornwood
2007-07-31, 03:54 PM
"What a day! I think when I get home I'll get stoned. Oh wait.... "

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-31, 05:11 PM
Going in order from the paralysis:

"What! No! Damn you! Now all hope is lost!"
"As soon as I'm free again, I'm going to >things that wouldn't appear in a PG-13 Movie<...."
"Who's voice is that....is it...no! It couldn't be! Soon Kim is dead. It's just the after-effect playing tricks on me. But what's that fighting going on? Did back-up arrive? But...hey, do you smell fried chicken?"
"Wait...is that...Miko! Thank the Twelve Gods, maybe there is still hope!"
"Even in death may I be triumphant!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"
"OW! AGH! My leg! My arm! My back! My neck! My spleen! Oh, sweet, merciful Twelve Gods the pain! The pain! Wait...pain. I'm still alive! I'm still alive! I wonder if Miko or any of the others made it out."
"Who're you? Is this...a tea party?!"
"No! Scones! And they're...fat free! NO! AH! Help me!!!"
"What! No fair. I wanted to be the car this time."
"Stop calling me Mr. Stiffly! The name's O-Chul, got it?! O. -Chul.
"Hey, isn't that Roy Bluepommel or something? Lord Hinjo's bodyguard? Where was he when the lich attacked the throne! That was his responsibility. Wait...does he have the X's in his eyes? Crap!"
"Is that...is that that rogue girl Lord Hinjo employed? And..oh, lovely...the halfling is with her[/sarcasmcheck]. But at least maybe she can get me out of this horrible nightmare!"
"Ugh, tell me about it!"
"Stew?! He wants stew?! Just put mud in a bowl and mix it with some grass, I guarantee this guy is too stupid to be able to tell the difference."
"Thank the Twelve Gods! I'm finally free! I need to get to Lord Hinjo, he may be in danger! Faster, halfling, faster!"
"What're you doing? No! Stop! Ahhhhhhhh! Oh no...that things is coming back...unhand me you cretin! I have important business to attend to!"
"****."

I agree.

<textzors>