PDA

View Full Version : A lizard folk werewolf?

KittenEV
2017-02-21, 06:39 PM
Basically, it's just as it sounds. I know that like any race a lizard folk can contract the lyncanthrope disease. One of my lizard folk players did just contract it.

My question is, would the player look like a werewolf or just become a more animalistic lizard?

I think it's kinda silly for him to suddenly grow fur when he has scales though.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-21, 06:44 PM
I had 2 half green dragon werewolves in my group in the campaign I just finished. I described them as sorta mangy looking, with patches of fur and scales.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-21, 07:34 PM
I know it won't help you with RAW, but in my game, I've made reptilian humanoids (kobolds, lizardfolk, troglodytes, dragonborn (if I ever used them)) immune to lycanthropy, with the justification the curse only works on mammals.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-21, 07:39 PM
It works for Argonians over in Tamriel, and over there they change into a full on furry critter full of teeth, claws, and nasty. I'd imagine it would be the same for lizardfolk.

MasterMercury
2017-02-21, 07:42 PM
It works for Argonians over in Tamriel, and over there they change into a full on furry critter full of teeth, claws, and nasty. I'd imagine it would be the same for lizardfolk.

It's a magical curse, so biology doesn't really matter. Personally, I would make them lizardy, but still with wolf traits, howling at the moon and such.

Anderlith
2017-02-21, 08:25 PM
Feathery scales could work. But definately make him werewolf shaped.

Zyzzyva
2017-02-21, 08:31 PM
Honestly? I'd just turn them into a crocodile at the full moon and call it a day. :smallwink:

MeeposFire
2017-02-21, 08:47 PM
Tell the player to think about how the lizard folk would feel about the body horror of growing fur on a body that has never had such a thing. The lizards tend towards lack of emotion as well while Lycanthropes can often be seen as being emotionally volatile. These all together could be seen as horrorfying to something like a lizard folk.

Finback
2017-02-21, 11:09 PM
I think one of the best cinematic examples of this issue was in "Maleficent". Look at her crow companion. In human form, he has dark, feathery hair. In his wolf form, he's actually covered in dense clusters of feathers, and has a slightly hooked beak to his muzzle. In dragon form, yep - a mix of scales and feathers, with a toothy beak (think early birds like Archaeopteryx or Hesperornis.

So really, I'd let the player decide. Maybe they want to look fully wolflike. Or maybe like some sort of gorgonopsian - a wolf-like frame but scaled. It could even make for some interesting storylines - perhaps villagers find out they're a lycanthrope, and claim to have seen them roaming the woods - except they're seeing an actual were*wolf*, and your PC is put in jail - where on the full moon, they turn into a reptilian form - while the furry monster shows up outside of town, spoiling for a fight..

Ursus the Grim
2017-02-22, 12:44 PM
I know it won't help you with RAW, but in my game, I've made reptilian humanoids (kobolds, lizardfolk, troglodytes, dragonborn (if I ever used them)) immune to lycanthropy, with the justification the curse only works on mammals.

How do you justify WereRavens?

djreynolds
2017-02-23, 03:31 AM
A recipe for cooking a lizard folk half way transformed into a werewolf (I prefer wear boar)

No, I think it is cool, check out stuff on evolutionary theories on cynodont, the experts say this is link between reptiles and mammals

Finback
2017-02-23, 03:36 AM

"A wizard did it"

JackPhoenix
2017-02-23, 05:49 AM

WereWHAT now? No such thing. (and yes, I know about CoS. I don't care, it was released long after I've established that rule)

In any case, what matters is who the cursed victim is, not what form will he be cursed with.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-23, 08:47 AM
"A wizard did it"

Is it any wonder why people distrust wizards? Owlbears, wereravens...

MrMcBobb
2017-02-23, 09:21 AM
I like to think they'd still take on a vulpine appearance. What springs into my head is a creature like the "Hell Hounds" from Chronicles of Riddick (those scaly wolf/dog things with the cool eyes :smallcool: ) but perhaps with a scruff of fur at the back of their necks.

I also quite like the idea of a Lizardfolk transforming by ripping off scales from his body as hairs push up underneath them.

N810
2017-02-23, 09:25 AM
You could have him turn into some Lizardman/Rage Drake hybrid.
Should be terrifying enough....
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dungeonsdragons/images/b/b4/Art_023.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121103012018

BabyCthulhu
2017-02-23, 08:18 PM
I guess either full normal werewolf version, or scaly version -> [example link] (http://nuclearbones.deviantart.com/art/Argonian-Werewolf-WIP-327312381)