PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf-Specific Magical Options?

Palanan
2017-02-21, 11:43 PM
Tolkien tells us that the dwarves of yore made mighty spells, but for some reason in 3.P it’s elves who seem to get all the magical love.

Apart from the Ollam, are there any uniquely dwarven PrCs, archetypes, or other options focused on spellcasting or other forms of magic?

Sayt
2017-02-21, 11:57 PM
Well, there's the Runesmith, from Races of Stone, and the Earth Dreamer (Although that is Psionic)

DrMotives
2017-02-22, 12:08 AM
Problem is Tolkien didn't really give much by way of any example, that I'm aware of, of that dwarven magic. And early editions of the game cleaved pretty close to Tolkien's idea of high fantasy, for better or for worse. 3.x was the first one in which the designers were open to straying away into a more adaptable open system. So "dwarf magic" pre-3.x was that they couldn't be arcane casters, but they could use forges to fill in caster-level requirements for creating magic items & piloting Spelljamming helms. In 3.x, they said said there's no reason why dwarves can't be arcane casters, and never put in anything special for dwarves. It was groundbreaking that a dwarf mage was thing.

gorfnab
2017-02-22, 03:10 AM
Ironsoul Forgemaster is a decent Dwarf Incarnum prestige class.

OldTrees1
2017-02-22, 03:26 AM
Have you heard of Arcane Tricksters? Well be prepared to be astounded when I tell you that Dwarven Rogues have their own twist on things?

The Silver Key (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061106a&page=2)
The Silver Keys are known for many things. However I like them for their 2nd level ability Crafty Hands. Basically you are a magical non caster Rogue.

I know all day minor telekinetic powers is not on par with spellcasting. However I really like this unique magical ability (and all the lore consequences generations of creative use would entail).

Gusmo
2017-02-22, 03:41 AM
Among domain choices there's the dwarf domain, and many thematically appropriate domains to go along with it.

Gruftzwerg
2017-02-22, 03:45 AM
Runecaster (FR Camp.Setting) is while not Dwarf only, still a Dwarf themed prc. The Description tells us that Runemagic originated from Dwarfs and Giants.

digiman619
2017-02-22, 03:57 AM
Oddly enough, Dwarves of Golarion, PF's dwarf splat has surprisingly little dwarven crunch: 5 feats and about a dozen spells. Everything else is fluff.

noce
2017-02-22, 04:03 AM
Dwarves have sorcerer substitution levels, and they're pretty strong.
Unfortunately, they come late, so you'd like to enter a prc by that time.

weckar
2017-02-22, 04:46 AM
Well, there's the Runesmith, from Races of Stone, and the Earth Dreamer (Although that is Psionic)
Earth dreamer is psionic? What?

Ironsoul Forgemaster seems to fit the bill?

Uncle Pine
2017-02-22, 05:45 AM
Dwarves (and dwarves only) can literally play Yu-Gi-Oh! in 3.5, what else do you need? Done via Runesmith, technically available to Stoneblessed as well.