PDA

View Full Version : Water Element creature in a cage

Yklikt
2017-02-22, 06:41 AM
Could a Water Element creature (MotP) escape a cage by flowing through the bars, since it's made of water?

Uncle Pine
2017-02-22, 06:53 AM
A water element creature can attempt an Escape Artist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/escapeArtist.htm) check as normal to escape confinement by passing through the bars of a cage or a cage-like effect as the barred cage version of the Forcecage spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcecage.htm). The template itself doesn't grant any bonus to the check, so the chances of a creature to pull off such a feat are the same before and after the application of this template.

weckar
2017-02-22, 07:08 AM
For whatever bizarre reason they are not actually Oozes, nor inherit those traits. They are effectively as solid as anything else. As are Air Elementals, now I think of it.

If this is a problem you are logically trying to overcome, though, may I suggest Water Elemental Balloons?

Zarrgon
2017-02-22, 07:11 AM
Simply put: any creature does not have any special ability or power unless it is listed in their description. Even if you might ''think'' they would have a power or ability...they don't. Unless, of course, you homebrew them to have a new ability or power.

Necroticplague
2017-02-22, 07:24 AM
Could a Water Element creature (MotP) escape a cage by flowing through the bars, since it's made of water?

Can a human? After all, a human is roughly 2/3rds water.

Facetiousness aside: Unless something specifically says it has an ability, it doesn't have it. So the answer is "no", unless is specifically says "yes".

If it helps, imagine any creatures made of unusual substances as having a 'skin' that keeps them solid enough to act as creatures, thus why they're less flexible than their appearance would seem to indicate.

dervin
2017-02-22, 04:10 PM
The mm1 doesn't say it can, but a GM or DM might house role that they can.

Segev
2017-02-22, 06:58 PM
There is something amusing about having a Tiny air elemental trapped in a bird cage.

Zanos
2017-02-22, 07:02 PM

If it helps, imagine any creatures made of unusual substances as having a 'skin' that keeps them solid enough to act as creatures, thus why they're less flexible than their appearance would seem to indicate.
To expand on that, you can actually beat non-solid elementals to death with physical weapons, it's just difficult. Since there's a certain amount of greatsword-in-body that will kill an air, earth, or fire elemental, I would imagine their composition can't really be separated without problems.

DrMotives
2017-02-22, 07:45 PM
I went to look at gelatinous creatures to compare; it's not good. Not only does the sample gummi bear not have a bonus to escape artist checks, but the template gives a -4 to dexterity. Jelly monsters actually have a harder time squeezing through bars than their normal, non-templated counterparts.

weckar
2017-02-23, 06:37 AM
Away from book, but don't Oozes have a specific type ability that allows them to do this? So Gelly Bears would be fine?

Zombimode
2017-02-23, 06:58 AM
Away from book, but don't Oozes have a specific type ability that allows them to do this? So Gelly Bears would be fine?

Nope. If a specific type of Ooze has the ability to sqeeze itself, it is noted in it's description. Ochre Jellys can, Gray Oozes and Black Pudding can't, for instance.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-23, 07:50 AM
The Ooze type contains many variations in viscosity and flexibility. Some are more like Jello and cannot change their shape much. Some are like water and cannot help but puddle to the ground. Some are in the middle and act like bread dough. It varies.

Deepbluediver
2017-02-23, 02:50 PM

Facetiousness aside: Unless something specifically says it has an ability, it doesn't have it. So the answer is "no", unless is specifically says "yes".

Yeah, my personal interpretation is that Elementals, the creature type, have a physiology that mimics pure elemental forces but is distinct and separate. Otherwise you could drop a Small water elemental into a lake and transform it into a Gargantuan elemental. Even if a water/air elemental had a non-solid jello-like body, if you run Jello through a cheese-slicer you're not going to be able to get it to stick back together again.

I'd agree that it might make sense to houserule them having a bonus on Escape Artist checks, but that would be about it.