PDA

View Full Version : Cool Javelin/Spear weapons/artefacts?

Xarteros
2017-02-22, 07:49 AM
Peeking at the Stormlord PrC, and loving the flavour of a Zeus-esque lightning thrower.

I know I could just get the gloves of infinite javelins, but I was wondering if there are any cooler singular weapons that would better suit the theme?

Ideally, I'd be looking for a special material type that incorporates lightning (like how Riverine is a force-effect containing high pressure seawater), or any cool special items. The closest I've come so far is the good old Hammer of Thunderbolts, but re-fluffed to be a solid bolt of lightning or something.

Anyone have anything better suited or even just thematically interesting? The Stormlord PrC already adds a lot of lightning-themed power to any thrown Javelin or Spear you use, but I'm looking for special powers, or cool materials etc.

It's not really for a specific build, I'm just looking to add some flavour to a storm-themed NPC in my campaign, and I dislike writing homebrew without seeking RAW methods first (makes it easier to keep track of things)

CozJa
2017-02-22, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure... are you going to use Stormlord or not? Because if you use it, having a wepon with the lighting enhancement is quite redundant...

Anyway, first thing, you may look at the Spikard from magic of Eberron (137). They are basically shortspears, but if you take the Exotic weapon proficiency feat, you can load it with crossbow bolt and release one on impact. Adding a Screaming Bolt into it (and the Stormlord powers) may create an interesting weapon that "boom" when hitting. In the same vein, I'd suggest some Sonic effect to complement those of the Stormlord.
Oh, and you must look here! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a)
As for materials, There's nothing cool apart from Riverine that comes to my mind for now, sorry :smallfrown:

barakaka
2017-02-22, 07:45 PM
Rapid Wrath is a spear that doubles the movement speed of whoever wields it. It's from the Ghostwalk Campaign Option.

Xarteros
2017-02-22, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure... are you going to use Stormlord or not? Because if you use it, having a wepon with the lighting enhancement is quite redundant...

Anyway, first thing, you may look at the Spikard from magic of Eberron (137). They are basically shortspears, but if you take the Exotic weapon proficiency feat, you can load it with crossbow bolt and release one on impact. Adding a Screaming Bolt into it (and the Stormlord powers) may create an interesting weapon that "boom" when hitting. In the same vein, I'd suggest some Sonic effect to complement those of the Stormlord.
Oh, and you must look here! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a)
As for materials, There's nothing cool apart from Riverine that comes to my mind for now, sorry :smallfrown:

Yeah, Stormlord is the main goal even if I find a weapon that already has thundering or shocking, since Stormlord has so much other cool flavour.

That Spear Spikard is really cool! The only downside is that it exclusively does not allow ranged attacks, so a screaming bolt wouldn't be quite as effective (since most of its power comes from affecting everything within 20ft of its flight path). I guess I could just make the entire spear out of Pandemonic Silver, so it has the same screaming effect (but fluffed to be more lightning-y) if I throw it.

I always forget that the MIC has sonic versions of the elemental enchantments. Might give one of them a crack if I can't find something more compelling.

On the subject of Riverine, it says that the high-pressure water spills out in 'a sudden rush' if the force effect is ever cancelled/destroyed. What if one were to, for instance, fill the force effect with pure lightning instead of water (Effectively pure plasma)? I mean, it's easy to fluff that in, but if the... Plasmarine?.. was ever destroyed, would it unleash the force of the lightning it contained? I imagine that the spray of destroying Riverine is supposed to be significant enough to affect people, since it's under so much pressure (at the very least, some DC or be knocked prone?), but there aren't any stats to actually back that up.