View Full Version : Two PrC Classes are the same

clee19892
2017-02-22, 09:12 AM
I'm working on planning out a Rogue right now and I got looking at a couple of PrCs and realized they are the same class with different names. Shadow Thief of Amn gives the same exactly Class Features and progression as Guild Thief does.

Would anyone know if this is intentional? Would they even stack and if they do would it be worth taking both for a non-magic oriented Rogue?

tedcahill2
2017-02-22, 09:54 AM
I'm working on planning out a Rogue right now and I got looking at a couple of PrCs and realized they are the same class with different names. Shadow Thief of Amn gives the same exactly Class Features and progression as Guild Thief does.

Would anyone know if this is intentional? Would they even stack and if they do would it be worth taking both for a non-magic oriented Rogue?

I think they just rename shadow thief of amn (which is campaign setting specific) to guild thief so it could be used in generic settings.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-22, 10:00 AM
I think they just rename shadow thief of amn (which is campaign setting specific) to guild thief so it could be used in generic settings.
^More or less this, although it's the opposite since Guild Thief is the 3.0 class printed in the FR Campaign Setting, while Shadow Thief of Amn is the revamped version in Player's Guide to Faerun (a 3.5 book).

Guild Thief is technically better because you don't have to waste a feat on Persuasive. It also doesn't require 3 ranks in Bluff like Shadow Thief of Amn does, but chances are that you'll want to invest in Bluff anyway.

Telonius
2017-02-22, 12:54 PM
There were some differences in the Bonus Feats available; Shadow Thief adds some of the 3.5 ones, loses others, and (weirdly) even has Still or Silent Spell as options. (Amusingly enough, Shadow Thief's Skill Focus bonus feat still references the Guild Thief's class skill list).

lylsyly
2017-02-22, 02:33 PM
Amusing is it? Just chock another editing goof up to the fine folks at WotC. :smallbiggrin:

clee19892
2017-02-22, 07:52 PM
So then would the two classes features stack with each other?

On a side note I am referring to the 3.5 Guild Thief, which is also in a Forgotten Realms source book.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-23, 01:58 AM
So then would the two classes features stack with each other?

On a side note I am referring to the 3.5 Guild Thief, which is also in a Forgotten Realms source book.

Given that shadow thief of amn is identical and included in a book that largely updates the rules from the source for guild thief, I'd expect most DM's to call it an update and discard guild thief altogether.

In any event, same bonuses from the same source don't stack unless they state otherwise. Therefore, the class features do not stack with themselves unless they give you a choice where you can get a different bonus from each iteration.