PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can someone look over my Build and Tell Me My weakness Are?

Nosta
2017-02-22, 11:02 AM
SO starting next game session I will Begin playing my first character to ever Be ECL 20 so I'd Like some tips on if my Build

My race is Human (Half celestial Template was Gain For Free so No LA)
My class is The fighter Archetype that gains martial maneuvers
My weapon Of choice is an Import from 3.5 (The Great spear) (I am a fan of the weapon)

My Stats Are As follows STR 23, Dex 18 Con 20 INT 15 wis 20 Cha 14

My Class Ability That I can choose and that are not static are as Follows

Armor Training 7th level Advance armor Training :Armor Specialization:
Armor Training 11th level Advanced Armor Training: Armored Juggernaut
Armor Training 15th level Advanced Armor Training: Secured Armor

weapon Training (Spear Group)
Advance weapon Training level 9 Advanced Weapon Training: Trained Initiative
Advance weapon Training level 13 Advanced Weapon Training: Armed Bravery
Advance weapon Training level 17 Advance weapon training: weapon Mastery (Taking spell Cut)

I am Focusing on Trip Due to the fact that most my foes will Have two legs

Here are my feats from Before I leveled up

1st level Feat: Exotic Weapon Prof - Great Spear
Human Feat: Power Attack
Fighter Feat: Mobility
Bonus Feat for taking flaw: combat expertise
Bonus Feat for taking Flaw: improved Initiative
3rd level Feat: improved trip
4th level Fighter feat: knock Down
5th level Feat Great Trip
7th level Feat Cut From The Air
8th level fighter Feat Half strike
9th level Feat smash from the air
11th Level Feat combat Reflexes
13th level Feat combat patrol
14th level fighter Feat: Defensive sweep
15th level Feat Intense Blows
16th level fighter feat Knocking Blows
17th level feat: Fury's Fall
17th Advance weapon Training- Taking Weapon Mastery Bonus Feat: SpellCut
18th level fighter Feat Advance study: Deadly Thunder Lancer's Stance
19th level Feat Advance study Triumphant Lion’s Leadership:
20th level fighter Feat: Advance study Heavenly Blade of the Scarlet Throne and lord of the pridelands

Maneuvers taken

Maneuver known
1 6th level Golden lion Maneuver: Harry the Prey
2 6th level Goldenl lion Maneuver: Lion’s Feast
3 6th level Scarlet throne maneuver: Final Blow
4 6th level piercing thunder maneuver: Lightning Rush
5 5th level Golden lion Maneuve: Discipline of the Pride
6 5th level Scarlet throne maneuver: Sanguine Perfection
7 5th level Scarlet throne maneuver: Ruby Zenith Strike
8 5th level piercing thunder maneuverThrowing Comet
9 4th level Scarlet throne maneuver Sanguine Perseverance
10 4th level Scarlet throne maneuver Red Zephyr’s Dance
11 4th level piercing thunder maneuverTwisting Lance
12 3rd level Golden lion Maneuver Circling the Prey:
13 3rd level Scarlet throne maneuver Scarlet Eye’s Perception
14 3rd level Scarlet throne maneuver Dazing Attack
15 3th level piercing thunder maneuver:Piercing Thunder Hammer

Maneuver Known (Granted From The Feat Advance study)
1: 9th level Golden Lion Maneuver: Lord of the pridelands
2: 9th level scarlet throne maneuver: heavenly Blade of the Scarlet Throne

Stances
1 Diving Thunderbolt Stance
2 Stance of the Thunderbrand
3 Golden General’s Attitude
4 Scarlet Duelist Attitude
5 Unfettered Movement

Stances Gained From The Feat Advance study
1:Triumphant Lion’s Leadership
2: Deadly Thunder Lancer’s Stance

weapon used +3 Great spear (will Replaced with stronger one when I can get a chance )

and I am sure someone will say your weakness is your Not being a wizard or such but I Really want to play a Melee Expert lol

I'd like to know what areas I've covered well and what areas I have left open for both offense and defenses

Dezea
2017-02-22, 11:35 AM
Hey,

Your build makes sense, and trading some fighter stuff for maneuvers is - sadly - always a good idea.

This being said, I would be really surprised that at ECL20 you are still fighting opponent who can be tripped, or who takes such a big disadvantage for being prone.
Most of them are either flying, magicaly or not, have such spellcasting tool that taking a -4 ac and touch is not such a problem, or could simply totally shut down your build by going invi, teleporting, and so on.

To be clear : You probably got the "Ultimate Tripping build" right, but I'm afraid that tripping is far from ultimate, high level wise.

Dezea

Kayblis
2017-02-22, 12:23 PM
Well... you're a fighter all right. You got some nice maneuvers, but it seems you're focusing too much in tripping. You'll be a great tripper, don't get me wrong, but you're falling in the old trap of overspecializing martials.

Say something can't be tripped - a giant creature, an incorporeal anything or a magical flyer (no wings). What do you do? What if you can't avoid fighting it? What if knocking it prone isn't enough to stop it? Tripping is a great tactic, but what guides don't tell you is that you're supposed to dish out punishment after tripping and be able to fight untrippable stuff as well.

I'd suggest getting some good ol' status effects to double up on your talent. If you can sicken/shaken someone without a save (or even with an opposed roll like the Zhentarim Fighter), it'll be a good tactic. Also remember you CAN trip flying foes that have wings, and they also take falling damage while at it.

icefractal
2017-02-22, 07:19 PM
The closest thing to Zentarim Fighter in Pathfinder would be the Cornugan Smash feat (free Intimidate whenever you Power Attack), possibly combined with the Unnatural Presence trait (intimidate more things), and the Intimidating Prowess feat (+Strength to intimidate). Combine those with a magic item that boosts the skill, and you can be auto-succeeding against most things. Add a Cruel weapon and your next hit will auto-sicken them too.

Particularly good if you or another party member has a non-Intimidate source of Shaken, as it will then stack up to Frightened. If you're using the skill unlock rules from Unchained, then it gets really nasty at this level - Cowering for 1d4 rounds and Panicked after that.

Note though, that like Trip, this only works on certain creatures. Things that are immune to fear just won't care, so don't make this the entirety of your strategy. It's only a couple feats though, so I think it's worth squeezing in if the concept fits.

Coretron03
2017-02-22, 07:37 PM
I recommend you take the martial master archtype (exchanges weapon training line for brawler anity to get feats in the fly) so you can trade your versitility for the ability to gain manuaver feats on the fly, effectively (by taking the manauver feat) to choose from most manuavers on the fly from any level you qualify for. Sacrificing +4 to hit and damage for that amount of versitility is a pretty good idea as at level 17 you can pick up 3 feats as a swift action ip to 3+1/2 class level times per day with 3 more uses a day for a feat. It also lets you use 9th level manuavers instead of 6th level manuvers.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/martial-master/

Nosta
2017-02-22, 07:56 PM
I recommend you take the martial master archtype (exchanges weapon training line for brawler anity to get feats in the fly) so you can trade your versitility for the ability to gain manuaver feats on the fly, effectively (by taking the manauver feat) to choose from most manuavers on the fly from any level you qualify for. Sacrificing +4 to hit and damage for that amount of versitility is a pretty good idea as at level 17 you can pick up 3 feats as a swift action ip to 3+1/2 class level times per day with 3 more uses a day for a feat. It also lets you use 9th level manuavers instead of 6th level manuvers.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/martial-master/

so its an Archetype That I'd Trade out All My weapon Training and Weapon Master Benefits for at ECL 20 As a swift action I could gain (any) Number of combat Feats Benefits for 10 Rounds At a time up to 13 times a day?

Coretron03
2017-02-22, 08:21 PM
Yeah, pretty much. You could trade advanced study for the feat that gives you 3 more uses per day for your gain feat ability and you could pick from any manuaver appropriate to the situation 16 times per day, along with any other combat feat you deem useful, Although its only 16 total feats per day, not 16 uses of gain 3 feats sadly. Still, 16 9th level manuavers per day is worth +4 to hit and damage and auto confirm crits you sacrifice.

Nosta
2017-02-22, 08:33 PM
Yeah, pretty much. You could trade advanced study for the feat that gives you 3 more uses per day for your gain feat ability and you could pick from any manuaver appropriate to the situation 16 times per day, along with any other combat feat you deem useful, Although its only 16 total feats per day, not 16 uses of gain 3 feats sadly. Still, 16 9th level manuavers per day is worth +4 to hit and damage and auto confirm crits you
sacrifice.

Wait I need to Trade one feat for another? I did not see that in the text o.o

Coretron03
2017-02-22, 10:28 PM
Wait I need to Trade one feat for another? I did not see that in the text o.o

I was referring to the fact you wouldn't need advanced learning, your 20th level feat and could use extra martial flexbility for 3 more uses a day of the martial flexbility class feature as it would be better as you could use it to take advanced learning for more overall usages of the manauver and more versitility in which manuaver you want instead of only picking from the set 2. Your choice.

upho
2017-02-23, 01:11 PM
Like other posters have suggested, I really recommend you increase your versatility and invest in control/debuff tools besides trip. For example, a one-level dip into warlord privateer (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/privateer-template) gives you both Improved and Greater Dirty Trick, without having to meet prerequisites, plus an addition bonus combat feat, 5 additional maneuvers, one stance and a few other things. And if you also decide to invest in demoralization, you can get a warlord gambit (Flanker's Gambit and Dastardly Gambit are suitable) and Dazzling Gambit in addition to the free dirty trick feats, giving you a small luck bonus to an attack or dirty trick attempt as a swift action, and allowing you and all allies within 30' to recover 1 maneuver, and you to make a free demoralize attempt vs all enemies within 30' as a free action, if you succeed.

The closest thing to Zentarim Fighter in Pathfinder would be the Cornugan Smash feat (free Intimidate whenever you Power Attack), possibly combined with the Unnatural Presence trait (intimidate more things), and the Intimidating Prowess feat (+Strength to intimidate). Combine those with a magic item that boosts the skill, and you can be auto-succeeding against most things. Add a Cruel weapon and your next hit will auto-sicken them too.This. Combat demoralization can be made absolutely fantastic in PF.

Particularly good if you or another party member has a non-Intimidate source of Shaken, as it will then stack up to Frightened. If you're using the skill unlock rules from Unchained, then it gets really nasty at this level - Cowering for 1d4 rounds and Panicked after that.The skill unlock is unfortunately a trap, because it demands you not only beat an increased DC, but also that the target doesn't make the save it gains, which has a too low DC you cannot boost in any way. So in total, the chances of you imposing a more severe fear condition than shaken on any enemy which actually counts are extremely low. Instead, to do this reliably you need Soulless Gaze (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damnation-feats/soulless-gaze-damnation/) and another damnation feat (I'd recommend Fiendskin for a martial character). Extremely powerful.

Note though, that like Trip, this only works on certain creatures. Things that are immune to fear just won't care, so don't make this the entirety of your strategy. It's only a couple feats though, so I think it's worth squeezing in if the concept fits.With PoW, this can be remedied pretty easily, for example through the Jailer of the Damned (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/eternal-guardian-maneuvers#TOC-Jailer-of-the-Damned) stance (Eternal Guardian level 5), or, even better, through the Black Seraph Annihilation (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/path-of-war/pow-e-feats/black-seraph-style) feat, which is absolutely fantastic also for other party members who frequently impose fear effects, allowing those to even pierce immunity to mind-affecting on anything within 30' of you. In addition, the prereq Black Seraph Style grants you hefty defensive bonuses against anything shaken or worse.

I was referring to the fact you wouldn't need advanced learning, your 20th level feat and could use extra martial flexbility for 3 more uses a day of the martial flexbility class feature as it would be better as you could use it to take advanced learning for more overall usages of the manauver and more versitility in which manuaver you want instead of only picking from the set 2. Your choice.Unfortunately this would be a very bad idea. You won't get anything out of Advanced Study gained via martial flexibility, since you won't have the feat long enough to ready the maneuvers the feat grants.

Azoth
2017-02-23, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately this would be a very bad idea. You won't get anything out of Advanced Study gained via martial flexibility, since you won't have the feat long enough to ready the maneuvers the feat grants.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
If I get Martial Training or Advanced Study via Martial Flexibility, do I need to spend 10 minutes readying my newly acquired maneuvers? I can see it being logical with the latter, but it makes the former unusable too, as Martial Flexibility lasts only for a minute.

Rules as written? Yes, you'd have to take 10 minutes.

That's totally lame and not fun.

I'd say a perfectly acceptable method is that those maneuvers come readied to you when you call them with Martial Flexibility, if your game would not be unbalanced by doing so. Check with your GM, but I personally don't see a problem with it.

-X

While not RAW, it is the belief of one of the key designers of the supplement that one should be able to treat the maneuvers as readied and available. He does denote it as a DM judgement call, so let's not write it off entirely as a possibility.

upho
2017-02-23, 07:39 PM
While not RAW, it is the belief of one of the key designers of the supplement that one should be able to treat the maneuvers as readied and available. He does denote it as a DM judgement call, so let's not write it off entirely as a possibility.Well, honestly this is probably also how I'd rule it in my own game. But I doubt ErrantX would give the same reply today, as the ability to do this is now one the unique class features of DSP's Contender brawler archetype (soon to be released with the new Fool's Errand discipline), and therefore probably not something you'd want to give away for free.