PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist subbing for Arcane Caster?

zilios
2017-02-22, 12:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm gonna be playing in an upcoming campaign, the Wrath of the Righteous AP, starting level 5 and I really wanted to play an Alchemist. The group so far is a Paladin, a Warpriest and a Ranger, so we have damage, healing and divine casting out the wazoo. I'd like to make an Alchemist that focuses on skill-monkeying, buffing and debuffing, with as little a focus on damage as possible. It'd be great if I could sub as the group's arcane caster since it sorely needs one but after reading some guides on the Alchemist (N. Jolly's and Zenith's) it seems that the class can either focus on Bombs or go Vivi/Beastmorph and maul everything, and the buffing role is basically "pick infusion level 2 and pass out a buff or 2 at the start of the day".

I know the Alchy can't really keep up with the Bard or the Wizard in a pure support role but I really love the flavor of Alchemy. I'm also not opposed to going for Investigator since the mechanics are really similar if it would be better off (not too familiar with the Investigator either).

I've been looking at stuff like the Orator feat (not sure if it's worth it) to shore up all the skill issues (and since we only get 1 trait other than the campaign trait I'm torn between Pragmatic Activator or a way to get Linguistics as a class skill for the +3 bonus), maybe a Valet tumor familiar to pass out buffs in-combat. After that, Infusion is a must I think and maybe pick up a bomb debuff or 2?

Has anyone tried an Alchemist or Investigator in the support role? What did your build look like early on? Are any of the archetypes worth it for something like this? I was thinking Mindchemist for +DC for bombs and a +4/+5 to Knowledge skills but the ability damage looks painful early on.

Psyren
2017-02-22, 12:38 PM
You don't actually have to be a Mindchemist to pick up a cognatogen (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/cognatogen-su/), it's available as a discovery to any alchemist and has no prereqs. Mindchemist is just there so you can grab it at level 1, and for the nifty Perfect Recall ability. But don't feel locked into that archetype if the cognatogen is all you wanted from it.

Bombs are useful as a source of control, you don't have to focus on damage if you don't want to. Discoveries like Freezing Bomb or Stink Bomb are still usable, particularly if you grab Precise Bombs so you can lob into melee without fear.

Beyond that, the support role is fairly easy - Infusion allows you to provide extract buffs that many other classes can't. Infuse Mutagen is a good one too; it lets you provide a unique bonus type (alchemical) to your party's martials. Better yet, buy a couple of Infusion Jars. (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/multiclass-archetype-supplements/magic-items/wondrousitems/infusion-jar)

Geddy2112
2017-02-22, 12:48 PM
While you don't want to trade out bombs, you certainly don't need any damaging bombs or to specialize in bombs. Pick ones like blinding, darkness, dispelling, smoke, poison, stink bomb etc. You can also get nondamaging bomb archetypes, like the half elf bramble brewer that can tanglefoot everyone and everything. The visionary researcher lets you hand out mutagens to your allies, in addition to buffs.

In addition to an arcane buffer, you are correct in knowing that the party sorely lacks a face(although the paladin can do some) and a skillmonkey. Orator helps, but requires ranks in linguists and a trait to get it as a class skill are needed. The investigator would be a better fit here-still have the alchemy to hand out buffs(and don't forget alchemical items that can buff your party either). You won't be able to constantly buff, you can flank/aid another if nothing else, and having skills/knowledge checks goes a long way. You can always max intimidate and dazzling display(or blistering invective once it is online) and debuff that way as well. Orator works even better for the investigator, as they have linguistics as a class skill and get free inspiration on linguistics checks.

Alistaroc
2017-02-22, 05:09 PM
Dunno if it'd be worth trading out your bombs, as they are somewhat of the main flavor of the Alchemist class, but the Psychic Detective (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo-investigator-archetypes/psychic-detective-investigator-archetype/) gets the same spell progression as a bard, if you'd care to venture into that territory.