PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Lore Wizard: Most fun spells using a 1 mile range

Hobbo Jim
2017-02-22, 01:39 PM
Balancing aside, what would be the most fun spells to use at a mile range?

A couple obvious ones include Fireball at a mile, or Arcane gate. Someone mentioned using Summon elemental, releasing concentration, and then doing that several times within a city.

I realized something though. Combined with the 14th level ability, Wizard has access to literally every spell. So what spells, from any list, would be the most fun and hilarious at 1 mile range?

Specter
2017-02-22, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing Earthquake. You could destroy an enemy fortress and they would think it was god's doing.

Sans.
2017-02-22, 01:52 PM
I'm guessing Earthquake. You could destroy an enemy fortress and they would think it was god's doing.

Seriously? Just run up to them under Invisibility and cast it.

Beleriphon
2017-02-22, 01:52 PM
I was going to say meteor swarm, but it already has a 1 mile range.

Maze might be fun.

Disintegrate, closest D&D has to an orbital death ray currently.

The Ever Popular Power Word: Kill
Enlarge/Reduce is fun, randomly shrink people from a mile way. Good for parties, great for grand balls.

Blue Wizrobe
2017-02-22, 01:58 PM
Wall of ________ shenanigans would be endless.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-22, 02:03 PM
Cantrips Like Prestidigitation,Druid craft, and Thaumaturgy

These are my favorite spells, not having to be near the target makes it even better

solidork
2017-02-22, 02:06 PM
Cantrips Like Prestidigitation,Druid craft, and Thaumaturgy

These are my favorite spells, not having to be near the target makes it even better

You can't actually do that, it has to be a spell slot iirc. I was a little disappointed, since I wanted a 1 mile Message.

RulesJD
2017-02-22, 02:27 PM
Animate Objects
You won't be able to give the objects a command, but animating the enemy's tents/bridges/buildings/etc sounds like some shenanigans.

Pretty much any and every Illusion spell.

Conjure Volley just because the idea of shooting an arrow that far is hilarious.

Inox
2017-02-22, 02:37 PM
Reverse Gravity & Telekinesis.

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-23, 12:22 AM
Suggestion.

famousringo
2017-02-23, 01:03 AM
Almost any social spell that pairs well with Subtle Spell, like Modify Memory or Dominate Person.

Any enemy you see a mile off gives you plenty of time to cast a conjuration spell. Could probably put an enemy force through multiple waves of conjured creatures, actually.

Telekinesis. It lasts 100 rounds, and it takes a creature with 30 movement 88 rounds to cover a mile while Dashing. That's a lot of falling damage as the wizard lifts and drops attacking creatures repeatedly. And if the wizard feels the need to move, should be able to get the full 100 rounds.

Any flyer can get knocked out of the sky by a humble Tasha's, the more altitude they have, the better.

Dromuthra
2017-02-23, 01:15 AM
You could use Telepathic Bond to maintain a network of sleeper cells within a city without ever needing to meet up. I'm starting an intrigue campaign soon, and I wish I could use a Lore Wizard just for that.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-02-23, 05:03 AM
Divine Word, since it hits 'any number of creatures you can see within range'. Unfortunately, it's a bonus action spell, so the Lore Wizard can only use it via Wish.