PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy with what the Giant's doing

Joerg
2017-02-22, 03:08 PM
So, in another thread Rich wrote:

When I sit down at the computer, I have to figure out which of the three beasts to feed: the free comic, the income-generating products, or the owed Kickstarter work. There's no right choice. The only correct answer is, "Do all three, in half the time." And I can't. So I have to make compromises, and no one is happy.

This sounds a bit, hmm, stressed, dark, perhaps even frustrated. So I'll just say: I'm happy. As long as story, characters and fun continue, I'll continue to be happy; no matter which story it is. As a kickstarter backer, I'm in the great situation that it doesn't matter to me whether you work on the kickstarter stories or on the online comic, because I'll get to read a good comic either way.

Additionally, I think that you're doing exactly the right thing in working on both in parallel. Yeah, it may have been a mistake promising so many stories in the kickstarter, but not a huge one. As a backer, I'm already happy with what I got. Nevertheless, there is of course an obligation now to create the rest of the stories. But don't fret it. We (I think I can say this for other backers, too) trust you, and as long as you (however slowly) continue to work on the stories, we can wait. And if you judge it to be necessary to slip in a third thing (like a linear guild prequel?) for monetary reasons, I completely understand that and can wait a bit longer. After all, I'll get the third thing, too :smallsmile:

(I hope this isn't considered re-starting a locked thread. But I think it isn't the same topic, and anyway, I thought it important to write.)

KorvinStarmast
2017-02-22, 05:33 PM
So I'll just say: I'm happy. As long as story, characters and fun continue, I'll continue to be happy; no matter which story it is.
I am glad Rich wrote those two posts about keeping his commitments to various customers of his enterprise. When you go into business for yourself, you have to manage a lot.
So, vote of confidence: keep doing that thing you do, Rich.

(I have been pondering another pdf purchase and this latest bonus story may get me to do that so I get two deliveries in one order ...)

Doctor West
2017-02-23, 06:31 AM
I'm one of the 96% who hasn't bought any merchandise, mostly due to life circumstances, but I'm enjoying the story very much when it does update, and being an Adult with Responsibilities (or so my ID claims) I certainly understand why Rich has to prioritize the parts of the business that actually feed him and pay the bills. So count me among the votes of confidence.

Onyavar
2017-02-23, 08:07 AM
I'm one of the 4%ers, and I think Rich is doing great work. Can't be said often enough.

So. I'm not telling him he should keep doing his thing... He'd do that anyway.
Thanks Giant!

Cozzer
2017-02-23, 08:24 AM
Both Kickstrater backer and 4%er here (well, at least for digital goods since screw intercontinental shipping fees), and I'm happy with what the Giand is doing and completely support it.

It feels a bit strange to post a message just to say that, but after reading that other thread it also feels right.

grandpheonix
2017-02-23, 08:32 AM
Im not sure if the belkar backstory was enough to consider myself a 4 percenter, but as a probably 96 percenter i approve of Rich putting food first. When hes comfy, he probably has more time to pour into the comics, and is in a better mood for it. Take all the time you need Giant! Its YOUR playground!

pendell
2017-02-23, 09:09 AM
I wish I had OOTS more often, but I accept the fact that he has to pay the bills, which means kickstarter work and the other products. That's life. I appreciate his explanation that the ultimate purpose of OOTS is to pay the bills, and as nice as the free comic is it does not -- of itself -- pay his electric or heating. It's a form of free advertising for the stuff that does pay.

I'm hoping he can find more ways to monetize his work, especially through the web site. This web site carries a lot of traffic , after all. The more money he earns, the less work he has to do, the less pressure he'll be under.

Thank you, Rich, for your hard work. I'm only sorry I can't support you more effectively.

ETA:

Re-reading this, it seems like the kickstarter work has the Giant over a barrel. Some of the stuff he owes is five years out of date, and the kickstarter money was spent along time ago.

Rich, if you're reading this: I didn't participate in the kickstarter (though I have bought your books) precisely because I feared something of the sort would happen. I would have happily given you money , no strings attached, purely to keep the webcomic running and to keep the web site functional.

Which leads to my idea.

What if we could have some sort of sponsorship program? Pay a certain amount of money, get a nifty pin or web badge saying "Proud sponsor of OOTS" or something like. You would essentially get money for nothing, and that would have to make it easier to do everything else you need to do. The only thing in it for us would be bragging rights.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Sgt Pinback
2017-02-23, 09:58 AM
I'm not happy with the amount of work we Kickstarter backers piled on Rich. I already do things like buy books etc., but I'd also be up for Patreon support if that would help.

Dr.Zero
2017-02-23, 10:24 AM
Adding my voice too, after I read the locked thread from where this started: while I preferred maybe the old comedy times, and sometimes I vocalized my discord on some choices regarding the characters and the developments (but with some luck the author didn't read me, because it happened in quite crowded threads), I surely appreciate the comic (else I had stopped to read it!) and I completely understand that the author must eat and pay bills. :smallbiggrin:

Thus, I'm completely fine with the times and everything.

(I must admit that quite often I forget -or maybe I simply ignore- that webcomics, this one as others, are written by people who must struggle to make the ends meet and have their own everyday problems, and that what they earn from this work can be not enough for a decent living, leaving aside the idea of buying a Ferrari and a villa in Beverly Hills, so I must thank the author to have given me a reminder on that neglected hard side.)

Roland St. Jude
2017-02-23, 01:22 PM
Sheriff: I'm sure Rich appreciates the support. Without issuing any warnings or anything for restarting a locked thread, I'm going to close this to avoid it going down the road of speculating/opining further on Rich's business model and finances.