View Full Version : Magic Items?

Armyman2287
2017-02-22, 04:16 PM
Hey Everyone,

So I was just wondering if anyone here knew of any magical items that could seal or suppress the magic of another magical item. Such as... say like a little clamp that could clamp onto a sword to suppress the harmful effects of grabbing it.

Thanks
Conner

tomato
2017-02-22, 04:39 PM
Sovereign Glue :P

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-22, 04:39 PM
magical items that could seal or suppress the magic of another magical item.

Not that I know of. You could homebrew something, but anything that could do this would end up at quite a high rarity. Consider that you could potentially achieve this effect with the spell Antimagic Field - which is 8th level for a reason.

Armyman2287
2017-02-22, 05:01 PM
Sovereign Glue :P

Not like literally seal two items together, I meant to suppress the magic of a particular item. In my case I'm trying to take a sword from a mage that uses death magic and rides an undead steed. I've tried to take it before and I did but it dealt necrotic damage to me and set me on fire, so trying to find a way to suppress/seal away its magic temporarily so that I can safely handle it.

Thanks,
Conner

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-22, 05:22 PM
Maybe wear gloves next time you handle the obviously-evil artifact?

Easiest options are probably spells like Mage Hand, Bigby's Hand, Telekinesis... There are probably several that could work. Maybe even something like Unseen Servant or skeleton from Animate Dead.

An Animated Rope might be of use here, if it has to be magic items. Or a ten-foot bargepole with a dollop of Sovereign Glue on the end! Get creative with it!

If you suspect the item is cursed, your DM may let you suppress the curse using magic (Dispel Magic and Remove Curse are both third level), but that isn't strictly RAW.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-23, 09:49 AM
It sounds like the DM don't want you to have the sword. What your alignment if someone in your party has a more evil alignment might be able to hold it.