PDA

View Full Version : What would a cat lord want?

Braininthejar2
2017-02-22, 04:54 PM
During the last session, the player was given an opportunity to get a custom magic item made for her, if she can sub-quest for components.

She chose a ring of nine lives, and was told to bring a tail hair from a cat lord. She happens to know one, and so she gated to the Beastlands, to visit the cat lord's (or lady's as the case may be) court and simply ask.

Now, the cat lady found the player amusing the last time they met - but even so, she's fickle as a cat, and she can't really get plucked by people who just ask to, especially before her court.

So, what do you think she should ask for such a 'small' favour?

Hawkstar
2017-02-22, 05:43 PM
Cats shed. They should just give her a full pet from head to tail.

icefractal
2017-02-22, 06:54 PM
She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains. :smalltongue:

Sort of a joke, but I think it could actually work. Red Dot is an advanced Will o' Wisp, with a variant form of Favored Enemy (felines) that gives it AC and save bonuses against them, making it pretty much untouchable by any of her court. It delights in taunting felines and leading them into danger.

The PCs, not being felines (presumably) have a better chance to catch it. Doesn't need to be a very extended side-quest, Red Dot could be residing fairly nearby.

Braininthejar2
2017-02-22, 07:14 PM
that's

genius

Khedrac
2017-02-23, 04:30 AM
that's

genius

I was going to post "catnip", but I agree with this too much.

The other thing a catlord probably wants is adoration and suitably obedient servitors...

Darth Tom
2017-02-23, 06:13 AM
Love the Red Dot idea.

'Nip
Scritchings (complete with D6 damage / no save when scritchings time is over)
Scratching post +5
Cat tree (a la Knights Who Say Ni's shrubbery)
Make the shiny thing move (entire cat court pounce on it)

If your players are cat lovers this could be an entertaining and adorable sidequest full of purring.

Eldan
2017-02-23, 06:16 AM
I'm so plundering this thread for ideas. Last week, my players got stranded in the spirit world and found out that one way to move on is to bribe the Cat Court so they may be permitted a ride on the moon. I may just steal the Red Dot idea.

Cernor
2017-02-23, 11:01 AM
They should have to retrieve the lost Bell of Sholadd from the Slumbering Citadel. This small tasseled bell hangs from the ceiling on a long golden chain, and makes a delightful jingling noise. When rung, everyone must make a Will save or be enraptured by the bell for 1 minute. Failure by 5 or more compels you to keep batting at the bell for that minute. Cats and cat-folk have a -20 to these saves.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-02-23, 11:14 AM

Sort of a joke, but I think it could actually work. Red Dot is an advanced Will o' Wisp, with a variant form of Favored Enemy (felines) that gives it AC and save bonuses against them, making it pretty much untouchable by any of her court. It delights in taunting felines and leading them into danger.

The PCs, not being felines (presumably) have a better chance to catch it. Doesn't need to be a very extended side-quest, Red Dot could be residing fairly nearby.

That's just great LOL :smallbiggrin:

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-23, 02:35 PM
Cats love toying with their prey, don't they? So have the Cat Lady ask for a boon in the future. Whatever it is, the PC MUST agree to it, no questions asked, and fulfill it to the best of her ability.

Isn't it fun seeing people squirm?

GungHo
2017-02-23, 03:39 PM
Consider it stolen.

Bohandas
2017-02-24, 01:20 AM
mice. or perhaps a herd of capybara.

Bohandas
2017-03-05, 01:21 AM
Two questions.

1.) When you say cat lord, do you mean like the prestige class or like the quasideity?

2.) Are there any ranger variants/substitution levels that replace the combat style or add new ones? The two standard combat styles aren't really useful for will-o-the-wisps and nishruus and other potential red dots

OracleofWuffing
2017-03-05, 02:08 AM
In any of your previous adventures, have you found a magical item in a treasure chest?

'Cause I imagine a cat lord wanting you to go back through that dungeon all over again to get the empty chest to use as a bed.

Or a tray of freshly-cooked lasagna.

Jay R
2017-03-05, 04:39 PM
Really? Nobody's posted this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CzqzzBV2tMk/TxBM3ar18MI/AAAAAAAAPm0/6faLPO9BM8w/s1600/i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

Bohandas
2017-03-05, 10:20 PM
Again. Are we looking at the prestige class from Complete Adventurer or the quasideity from Epic Level handbook?

kraftcheese
2017-03-05, 10:35 PM
Again. Are we looking at the prestige class from Complete Adventurer or the quasideity from Epic Level handbook?
She's gone to meet it in the Beastlands; from that and other context clues I'm thinking it's the quasideity.

Bohandas
2017-03-05, 11:05 PM
She's gone to meet it in the Beastlands; from that and other context clues I'm thinking it's the quasideity.

Yes, but there also seems to be more than one of them, which confuses the issue

Jay R
2017-03-06, 10:47 AM
Clean out the litter box. This should be as massive an undertaking as Heracles's struggles with the Augean stables.

SomeNerd
2017-03-06, 06:10 PM
Have her constantly change her mind as the PCs bring her new stuff. If/when they eventually get impatient, have her get sad and say that she just wanted attention, and then give them the tail hair.

Rysto
2017-03-06, 06:27 PM
Have her constantly change her mind as the PCs bring her new stuff. If/when they eventually get impatient, have her get sad and say that she just wanted attention, and then give them the tail hair.

This is funny in the abstract, but doing things that will specifically aggravate your players strikes me as poor form.

SomeNerd
2017-03-06, 06:45 PM
It's more meant to aggravate the characters than the players, but I guess it depends on what kind of group you have. To be safe, she should probably run out of ideas after three or so tasks.

Braininthejar2
2017-03-06, 07:54 PM
Yes, but there also seems to be more than one of them, which confuses the issue

It's the one from the old Something Wild module for Planescape.

Bohandas
2017-03-06, 09:02 PM
Have her constantly change her mind as the PCs bring her new stuff.

Like the Knights of Ni?

Jay R
2017-03-07, 09:23 PM
Use the Red Dot idea above, from icefractal. It's clearly the winner.