PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Incarnum feats. PEACH, anyone can throw in some feats if they like

Morphic tide
2017-02-22, 09:57 PM
I'll actually have a fixed naming scheme, which I'll start the thread with:

Azure --> Psionic
Beryl ---> Wild/Druid
Cerulean --> Martial/Initiator
Cobalt --> Defensive/Saves
Indigo --> Arcane
Sapphire --> Divine/Cleric
Turquoise --> Miscellaneous Supernatural

So, let us begin with the Feats:

Azure Channelling [Incarnum, Psionic]
Prerequisites: Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You may take 2d6 damage while manifesting a power to reduce it's PP cost by the amount of Essentia invested in this feat. (Note: This is not increasing your ML, so stuff reliant on that, including PP cap, are not increased)
Special: This feat counts as Overchannel for feat prerequisites.

Azure Investment [Incarnum, Psionic]
Prerequisites: Con 13, ability to manifest Bestow Power
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. Whenever you manifest Bestow Power, instead of restoring PP to a target, you may instead increase the Essentia invested in a feat or soulmeld the target has by half the PP that would be added for one round per Essentia invested in this feat.

Azure Infusion [Incarnum, Metapsionic]
Prerequisites: Con 13, ML 5
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. When you invest Essentia into this feat, select a Metapsionic feat that adjusts the Power Point cost of powers it is applied to by a number less than or equal to twice the amount of Essentia invested in this feat. You gain the chosen feat until the next time you may invest Essentia into this feat(Note: You can use this, and it's magic counterpart, to cheese prerequisites to save feats by skipping prerequisites)

Beryl Toughness [Incarnum, Wild]
Prerequisites: One Wild feat, Con 13, Wis 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. When in a Wildshape, you have an Enhancement bonus to Constitution equal to twice the Essentia invested in this feat.

Beryl Infusion [Incarnum, Wild]
Prerequisites: Ability to Wildshape, ability to cast Magic Fang as a Divine spell, Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. Whenever you cast Magic Fang or another spell that gives an enhancement bonus to natural attacks, you may expend a use of Wildshape to increase the bonus by the amount of Essentia invested in this feat. Up to half this added bonus may be exchanged for weapon enhancements of equal effective enhancement bonus(Note: This is a type of Wild feat I find strangely lacking. Feats that expend Wildshape to provide effects)

Beryl Spellcasting [Incarnum, Wild]
Prerequisites: Ability to Wildshape, Con 13, Wis 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You may ignore the Verbal and Somatic components of spells up to the level of Essentia invested in this feat while in a Wildshape, and those spells have their DCs increased by the invested Essentia.
Special: This feat counts as Natural Spell for prerequisites. You cannot have both this feat and Natural Spell(Note: Extremely powerful, yes, but it's only letting you use some of your spells)

Cerulean Might [Combat, Incarnum](PF compatibility habit, here)
Prerequisites: Strength 13, Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You may take a penalty to your attack rolls up to your BAB to increase your damage rolls on weapon attacks by one-half the penalty times the Essentia invested in this feat. Additionally, when an attack you make reduces an enemy to 0HP or less, you may make an additional attack, up to a number of times equal to the Essentia invested per round. (Note: It's equal to Power Attack at two Essentia invested, and keeps going up from there. It's very rarely worse than Great Cleave)
Special: This feat counts as Power Attack and Cleave for prerequisites. A Fighter can select Cerulean Might as one of their bonus feats

Cerulean Critical [Combat, Incarnum]
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. Increase the critical hit range of your attacks by the amount of Essentia invested in this feat, stacking with one other increase additively. (Note: Three Essentia invested will result in turning a Keen Scythe into a 16-20/x4 weapon)
Special: A Fighter may select Cerulean Critical as one of their bonus feats. This feat counts as Improved Critical for all weapons for prerequisites.

Cerulean Infusion [Combat, Incarnum]
Prerequisites: Con 13, Int 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You may add weapon enhancements with a total equivalent enhancement bonus equal to the Essentia invested in this weapon to weapons you use. Changing the weapon enhancements is a Full Round action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity. (Note: Very, very powerful ability to have. Yes, it locks you into a bunch more Incarnum feats, but if you are in a situation where having awesome weapon enhancements is somehow a downside, or you have other effects available that are better than dumping more Essentia into a feat, then you might swap Essentia. The difference between +5 and +6 enhancements likely isn't worth +10 damage)

Cobalt Toughness [Incarnum]
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain an Insight bonus to Natural Armor equal to the Essentia invested in this feat. (Note: Just a differently-typed Midnight Dodge. Better due to lack of target restriction)

Cobalt Body [Incarnum]
Prerequisites: Con 13, two Incarnum feats
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain temporary HP equal to the number of Incarnum feats you have multiplied by the Essentia invested in this feat (Note: It looks usable to me. I mean, 3 HP at level 1 is enough to save you in some cases, and it can get to somewhere around 100 at level 20. If nothing else, you can always just grab as many Incarnum feats as you can)

Cobalt Hardness [Incarnum]
Prerequisites: Con 15
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain DR X/-, where X is twice the Essentia invested in this feat.

Indigo Infusion [Incarnum, Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Con 13, Arcane CL 5
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. When you invest Essentia into this feat, select a Metamagic feat that adjusts the spell level of spells it is applied to by a number less than or equal to the amount of Essentia invested in this feat. You gain the chosen feat until the next time you may invest Essentia into this feat(Note: Not a metamagic reducer, but rather a flexible metamagic feat)

Indigo Reserve [Incarnum, Reserve]
Prerequisites: Con 13, ability to cast 2nd level Arcane spells
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. As long as you have at least one of your highest level spell slots available, the save DCs of your Soulmelds is increased by the Essentia invested in this feat or the level of the spell slot, whichever is lower.

Indigo Song [Incarnum, Bardic]
Prerequisites: Con 13, Bardic Music
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain an additional number of uses of Bardic music equal to the Essentia invested in this feat. [Note: None of the feat categories here are made up. There really are feats with a Bardic descriptor]

Sapphire Healing [Incarnum, Divine]
Prerequisites: Ability to Turn or Rebuke Undead, Divine CL 3, Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. By expending a Turn or Rebuke Undead attempt, you may heal 2d6 HP per Essentia invested in this feat.

Sapphire Channelling [Incarnum, Divine]
Prerequisites: Ability to Turn or Rebuke Undead, Divine CL 3, Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain two additional Turn or Rebuke Undead attempts for each point of Essentia invested in this feat. (Note: Held back well by the Essentia investment limit, yet still disgustingly powerful because DMM is a thing)

Sapphire Devotion [Incarnum, Domain]
Prerequisites: One Domain feat, Con 13
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest Essentia in this feat. Once the amount of Essentia invested is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours. You gain 1 point of Essentia. You gain a total additional number of daily uses of Domain feats equal to the Essentia invested in this feat.

Turquoise Misfortune [Incarnum, Flaw]
Effect: You gain Essentia equal to your maximum Essentia cap for investing Essentia into feats, but take an Insight penalty to Intelligence, Wisdom and Dexterity equal to the Essentia gained.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-23, 12:23 AM
Hi!
Feat-by-feat review!
Not copying the description for space:

Azure Channelling [Incarnum, Psionic] All I see is "bestow power loop". Am I missing something?

Azure Investment [Incarnum, Psionic] This is really really neat! Could myself using Bestow Power on myself to power up my feats and powers for a few rounds! Does the Essentia increase bypass caps?

Azure Infusion [Incarnum, Metapsionic] I'm not sure, but I think you're missing part of the description? All I see is you selecting feats, not doing anything with them.

Beryl Toughness [Incarnum, Wild] Interesting. Wild Shape is generally a pretty good ability, but increasing Constitution isn't too overpowered, since the extra hit points go away when it runs out. I like it- good way to help out lower-HP forms.

Beryl Infusion [Incarnum, Wild] Actually, there are feats like that! Most of the ones I remember are in Complete Divine. Example (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/complete-divine--56/eagles-wings--790/index.html).This bonus can get pretty big with Greater Magic Fang, but I don't think it's too strong.

Beryl Spellcasting [Incarnum, Wild] Yeah, I think this might be pretty strong, but not in a bad way (barring capacity increasing shenanigans). The spells which you can use it on have underleveled spell DCs anyway, so it helps them compete at higher levels. It's actually a little strange that you can only use those spells in a Wild Shape, actually- you're in a zone of silence and can't cast spells, then you Wildshape, and you suddenly can?

Cerulean Might [Combat, Incarnum](PF compatibility habit, here) Uberchargers, ahoy! I actually have no problem with this feat, since you need lots of essentia to make it useful. I'm just disappointed that Soulborn don't get essentia until level 4...

Cerulean Critical [Combat, Incarnum]Could get silly with crit-builds. "Stacking with one other increase" means it applies after you increase the range multiplicatively with Improved Critical, right? Because, well...
It's still pretty good with falchions/scimitars with the right build, but not oppressively so.

Cerulean Infusion [Combat, Incarnum] I am ambivalent about this. On the one hand, it takes a full-round action to use, setting you back by one round. On the other hand, it lets you do some serious abuse with per-day item enchantments (which there are a few of). I would require you to choose the weapon (or weapons?) you apply it to at any given time. This also heavily reduces the need for golf-club enchantments. Note that bane is a fantastic pick even if this is the only feat you take, since you can choose your target.

Cobalt Toughness [Incarnum] All good here.

Cobalt Body [Incarnum] Yeah, this is fine. Temporary hit points can't be healed anyway. Could be fun as an emergency option by only investing essentia at the last minute.

Cobalt Hardness [Incarnum] I actually have no idea how powerful DR is at high levels, or if this is a big number. No comment.

Indigo Infusion [Incarnum, Metamagic] *Looks back at Azure Infusion* Oooh. You need to recheck the wording on Azure Infusion, because it duplicates the Metamagic part of this, but looks really interesting, if of limited versatility. Missing the key words "You temporarily gain that feat as long as you continue to leave that essentia invested". A nice floating feat.

Indigo Reserve [Incarnum, Reserve] Missing description of how much essentia you need to invest to get stuff out. Also, it might be confusing- what happens if you cast a spell, reducing your reserve, but all your essentia is tied up in feats?

Indigo Song [Incarnum, Bardic] Yyep. Not too powerful. You can get four uses with one feat. (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/song-and-silence-a-guidebook-to-bards-and-rogues--48/extra-music--1027/index.html) Increase to twice the number.

Sapphire Healing [Incarnum, Divine]Missing action. Missing target (self only?). Other than that, looks good.

Sapphire Channelling [Incarnum, Divine] Good as a power source. Takes essentia to power, but not bad.

Sapphire Devotion [Incarnum, Domain] Total agreement on the specificity of this.

Turquoise Misfortune [Incarnum, Flaw] This is... really interesting. It's a flaw- is that a feat tag, or is this a flaw like Shaky or Near-Sighted which gives you a bonus feat? I've never heard of it. I don't think I would ever take this as a feat- compare it to virtually any other incarnum feat, which gives 1 essentia without requiring you to take a -4 penalty to everything.
If you can take it as a feat, it's more interesting, but I would never grab it. I guess that's the point of a flaw, though. :tongue:

Question: How did you try to balance these against other feats? Did you assume that 2 essentia invested=a regular feat (i.e. Sapphire Channelling at 2 essentia investment = Extra Turning, Cerulean Might at 2 = Power Attack (more or less, also Cleave), Cerulean Critical at 2 essentia = Improved Critical for 19-20 weapons (average), etc.?

Amechra
2017-02-23, 02:27 AM
Azure Channeling is broken due to Bestow Power. Seriously, by 6th level you can spend 1pp to give someone (who can be you) 2pp.

Go take another look at Midnight Augmentation - it does something similar, except it has many more limitations (costs Psionic Focus, only affects PP spent on augmentation, can't reduce that PP cost below Base Cost + 1).

Morphic tide
2017-02-23, 08:34 AM
*snip*

Regarding the complaint about Azure Channeling, I probably should have dug into Bestow Power numbers to figure out the exact restrictions needed to keep the Bestow Power loop away. Maybe require a minimum amount of augmentation to have the benefit. It'd at least delay the Bestow Power loop.

Beryl Spellcasting is deliberately intended to be a sidegrade to Natural Spell. It gives an extra advantage big enough to, probably, be worth the reduced spell access.

And Cerulean Critical does, in fact, stack with Keen and Improved Critical. But only one of them at a time, so you are probably going to grab a Keen weapon to save feats. Cerulean Infusion, meanwhile, is intended to be a Kensai-alike setup, only swapping enhancements costs more. You do the enhancement pick before fights start, then go through the day with those enhancements, swapping them only if they end up inadequate.

The Cobalt feats are under the assumption that they are better at low levels but taper off at high levels. Cobalt Body is intended to take two or three hits for most of the game, as a significant survivability boost on anyone stacking Incarnum feats, but due to exponential damage growth Cobalt Hardness loses effectiveness over time.

Indigo Reserve... actually shouldn't have the Investment clause. Sorry, I was copy-pasting a lot. As for what happens when you cast your highest level spell, same thing that happens when you lose a point of Essentia any other way.

Indigo Song will be edited to increase uses granted, and Sapphire Healing should have a Standard Action cost due to standby rules, though I will fix that.

As for Turquoise Misfortune, Flaws are actually registered as a feat tag in more than one place, although I'd need to see the exact rules for Flaws to verify that. If Flaws aren't considered a type of feat, well, it's a Flaw that counts as an Incarnum feat for any effect that cares. I was tempted to have two more Turquoise feats, one for fixing Truenaming and one for fixing a major issue with Incarnum classes, but I kinda ran out of time to type out feats.

Balancing against other feats is, basically, trying to make it so that you are only strictly better as a proper Incarnum class using these feats, otherwise you will probably end up behind. Unless you take the increasingly-crippling Flaw that gives you an immense Luck penalty to everything if you use it to keep your Essentia up.

It's not 2 Essentia for a feat as much as it is the feats grant one Essentia and I didn't want them to be flatly better. Also, don't forget the line in the thread title. You can throw in your own feats if you want, and you don't have to keep the naming scheme. I just wanted to have a guideline that would let people find types of feats quickly and know the sort of character a feat is intended for by the blue synonym of the feat name.

Morphic tide
2017-06-14, 07:48 PM
Edited some of the feats on the first post. Also, for the mods, quote from The Rules:

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last 45 days, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the 45 day threshold without prior Moderator approval.
I've seen the bolded clause not be followed a few times on really old threads, getting locked for the OP Necroing the thread.

The offer of other people posting their own Incarnum feats still stands, and the naming setup I used isn't required. Same goes for the tendency of 1 Essentia for half effect of the normal version of a feat.

Also, to the complaints about Azure Channelling, I think you don't understand just how hard it is to get easy healing. You lose 2d6 health each use as untyped damage. It's a variation of Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel) that scales the output by Essentia investment and has worse effectiveness in many ways. Granted, the biggest advantage it has over Overchannel is the fact that it reduces PP cost, saving PP costs as its tradeoff for not being a ML boost. Given the comments on it, there will not be an equivalent for Talented.

Nifft
2017-06-14, 08:52 PM
In my games, I just remove bestow power.

I've never seen that power used for anything except infinite self-fuel.

nikkoli
2017-06-15, 07:25 PM
Azure Channeling is broken due to Bestow Power. Seriously, by 6th level you can spend 1pp to give someone (who can be you) 2pp.

Go take another look at Midnight Augmentation - it does something similar, except it has many more limitations (costs Psionic Focus, only affects PP spent on augmentation, can't reduce that PP cost below Base Cost + 1).

IIRC the dreamscared press psionic from PF says you can't grant more than is spent on bestow power in bestow power. So in PF that loop is far harder to get. In 3.5 you could just back port that tag and the hole is filled in pretty well.