PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion Feats

Mai
2017-02-22, 10:41 PM
Can someone please enlighten me about this topic the druid class I have ready many times from multiple places and none of them explain this every well. At what level so animal companions get feats, and what feats can they learn? I've been looking it up for nearly an hour and can't find a single resource specifying what feats are comparable with animals.

I can find so many topics for animal companion suggestions, advice, etc. Etc. All over the internet, but while searching specifically for information on feats... I can find nothing. -.-

Any information or pointers would really be helpfull. Maybe my DM will let me add them inn we haven't gotten close to really starting, still doing baseline to stuff and haven't even met yet. If not I can start adding them when my animal companiongets his next one.

OldTrees1
2017-02-22, 10:52 PM
Animals gain feats from HD at the same rate as everyone else that is not mindless does.
Animals can take the feats they meet the prerequisites of just like everyone else does.

Have you considered Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback(assuming your animal companion is large size)

Mai
2017-02-22, 11:33 PM
It's a tiger, 6d8+18, and yes large. So it would have 3 feats? I for 1, 3, and 6 correct?

Thanks for the information. (My druid is only level 7. I went for a gnome druid with a tiger, because I like the duality, small druid big animal. And I went tiger because I have a snow leopard plushy I wanted to make real as her animal companion, but I wanted an animal big enough to ride to offset the gnomes 20 speed, and leopards lack the strength. They do I suppose... But... My dm understandably ruled that for her to ride it It would need to be under a light load, and that was cutting it close for the leopard. (What if I got some loot?) So... Going tiger made more sense in the long run.)

(It was/is my first char ever... Not well optimized, no natural spell sadly. -.-)

OldTrees1
2017-02-22, 11:48 PM
It's a tiger, 6d8+18, and yes large. So it would have 3 feats? I for 1, 3, and 6 correct?

Thanks for the information. (My druid is only level 7. I went for a gnome druid with a tiger, because I like the duality, small druid big animal. And I went tiger because I have a snow leopard plushy I wanted to make real as her animal companion, but I wanted an animal big enough to ride to offset the gnomes 20 speed, and leopards lack the strength. They do I suppose... But... My dm understandably ruled that for her to ride it It would need to be under a light load, and that was cutting it close for the leopard. (What if I got some loot?) So... Going tiger made more sense in the long run.)

(It was/is my first char ever... Not well optimized, no natural spell sadly. -.-)

Yes, that would be correct. Your Snow Leopard (using tiger stats) gets 3 feats. You might want to ask your DM about Knockback. It is a fun feat, but I cannot get a good read on whether or not it would be appropriate for your group (your DM would know).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-02-23, 12:21 AM
Animal companions start out as typical animals of their kind, i.e. they have the feats printed in the monster entry. Once it gains enough HD to have an additional feat, you can start picking what feats it gets, but starting out its feats and skills are exactly what's printed in its monster entry. When you meditate to bond to a new animal companion, you can pick what it is, not what it is and what feats/skills it has.

Mai
2017-02-23, 12:36 AM
Oh it's officially a tiger, though that option would have been cool.

So... Since my chars level is 7 and tiger costs 6, my animal companion would have no feats then with than what's listed?

DrMotives
2017-02-23, 12:52 AM
Oh it's officially a tiger, though that option would have been cool.

So... Since my chars level is 7 and tiger costs 6, my animal companion would have no feats then with than what's listed?

Correct. Although when you level up more and add HD to the tiger, you can pick anything it qualifies for. These will be the same feats a PC might qualify for, I can only think of a few that a Large animal can get that a typical PC can't. Large & In charge, Mighty Roar, and Greater Mighty Roar. I admit I love L&IC, but the roar feats just allow a once per day save vs fear. Not super useful, as that will only affect enemies with fewer HD than the animal, which will be even lower than your character's level.