PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Adventure Novels

Bryan
2017-02-23, 12:50 AM
I have been looking for novels or a series of novels dealing with Pulp Adventure but in an extreme fashion. Something akin to Doc Savage or even taken into satire like the Venture Bros.
Does anyone know of such a series?

Thrudd
2017-02-23, 11:03 AM
You've read Robert E Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane?

Edgar Rice Borroughs' Barsoom/John Carter books?

Fafrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Lieber

comicshorse
2017-02-23, 11:06 AM
The Modesty Blaise novels (and comic strips for that matter)

S@tanicoaldo
2017-02-23, 11:17 AM
Fafrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Lieber are awesome, in special "Bazaar of the Bizarre" and "The Lords of Quarmall". They were my favorite.

Cespenar
2017-02-24, 01:10 AM
You might try the Ciaphas Cain series. It's a series of half-serious half-satire pulp novels in WH40K universe.

Similarly Colour of Magic from Pratchett can be seen as a heavy satire of the pulp fantasy genre, and prove the entrance to the Discworld-verse.

In Dresden Files from Jim Butcher the pulp overtones are heavy but it's more akin to an homage than satire, in my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Though most of the examples in the other posts mention just plain pulp novels too, instead of the "extreme" or satire fashion that you mentioned.

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 10:17 PM
Fafrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Lieber are awesome, in special "Bazaar of the Bizarre" and "The Lords of Quarmall". They were my favorite.

By Issek, Kos and Mog! I so very much second this!