PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Crits and Divine Smite

ChampionWiggles
2017-02-23, 02:15 AM
So I'm a little curious about how Divine Smite and crits work or really, any damage dice that are rolled after the fact of the attack hitting (so the BM's maneuvers). Since you choose whether to apply the Paladin's divine smite or most of the BM's maneuvers after seeing if the attack hits, are the extra damage dice still doubled? I know that Sneak Attack is doubled, because that's just usually auto applied. It just seems a little cheap or broken to me for a character to roll a 20 and then go "Oh, I get to double damage dice? Guess I'll throw on a Divine Smite and double that too".

LudicSavant
2017-02-23, 02:33 AM
Yes, you can choose to smite after confirming a crit.

djreynolds
2017-02-23, 02:58 AM
So I'm a little curious about how Divine Smite and crits work or really, any damage dice that are rolled after the fact of the attack hitting (so the BM's maneuvers). Since you choose whether to apply the Paladin's divine smite or most of the BM's maneuvers after seeing if the attack hits, are the extra damage dice still doubled? I know that Sneak Attack is doubled, because that's just usually auto applied. It just seems a little cheap or broken to me for a character to roll a 20 and then go "Oh, I get to double damage dice? Guess I'll throw on a Divine Smite and double that too".

Tis true, if you crit toss them on

Now a question for you, if you are a rogue and are TWF and roll a 20 and 15, can you say I crit on my sneak attack, or must you decide ahead of time which attack will receive the sneak attack?

Often as a DM, I tell players to roll all dice at once if they have multiple attacks versus a single opponent.

Must they say the red 20d is my short sword and the blue 20d is my dagger

Malifice
2017-02-23, 03:29 AM

Yes they double, and yes it's intended.

Quintessence
2017-02-23, 03:37 AM
Tis true, if you crit toss them on

Now a question for you, if you are a rogue and are TWF and roll a 20 and 15, can you say I crit on my sneak attack, or must you decide ahead of time which attack will receive the sneak attack?

Often as a DM, I tell players to roll all dice at once if they have multiple attacks versus a single opponent.

Must they say the red 20d is my short sword and the blue 20d is my dagger

Attacks are rolled one at a time, not all at the same time.

djreynolds
2017-02-23, 03:43 AM
Attacks are rolled one at a time, not all at the same time.

I do agree with you on this and I make my players designate colored d20s to represent which weapon

Obviously rolling 1 at a time fixes this, but sometimes at higher levels it is an all day affair with multiple attacks

furby076
2017-02-23, 07:37 AM

You need to designate which d20 applies to which attack before you roll. So short answer, you must decide ahead of time.

THis is different from paladin smite which specifically says you can decide to apply a smite AFTER you confirm if there is a hit. I imagine this was done because paladin smite is limited to long rest. The rule has been confirmed, multiple times, as RAI/RAW

joaber
2017-02-23, 11:16 AM
In fact, most of the time, divine smite only worth the spell slot if you ceit. 4d8 for a lvl 3 spell slot? You could be casting haste, fireballs, fear.

Arkhios
2017-02-23, 11:19 AM
In fact, most of the time, divine smite only worth the spell slot if you crit. 4d8 for a lvl 3 spell slot? You could be casting haste, fireballs, fear.

FTFY.

I agree, a paladin shouldn't go burning through his slots for every damn hit he makes. Divine Smites are best used when you crit. Otherwise, just spare them. Or cast a spell when you really need to.

Matrix_Walker
2017-02-23, 11:22 AM
I do agree with you on this and I make my players designate colored d20s to represent which weapon

Obviously rolling 1 at a time fixes this, but sometimes at higher levels it is an all day affair with multiple attacks

There are a few players who like to do this at my table. One guy throws extra dice in "I just like rolling multiple dice."

So very confusing, annoying, and distracting, and very very sketchy.

Roll one attack at a time, that's how it works.

LordVonDerp
2017-02-23, 11:43 AM
In fact, most of the time, divine smite only worth the spell slot if you ceit. 4d8 for a lvl 3 spell slot? You could be casting haste, fireballs, fear.

Since when can paladins cast fireball?

Trampaige
2017-02-23, 11:46 AM
Since when can paladins cast fireball?

Have you missed that every single paladin build posted on this board involves massive numbers of warlock and or sorcerer levels?

Rysto
2017-02-23, 11:58 AM

Fireball offers a save, and does 4d6 damage if they make it. There is no save against a smite, which is why the base damage is lower.

joaber
2017-02-23, 12:12 PM
Fireball offers a save, and does 4d6 damage if they make it. There is no save against a smite, which is why the base damage is lower.

4d6, if save, so lets assume 6d6, half save half don't. for each creature.
Hunter's mark (or hex) = +1d6 for each attack (2 for turn + with extra attack + maybe reaction) for 1h (maybe 2 encounters) or 2d8 from smite.
Bless + 12,5% chance to hit for 3 guys + for save, or 2d8

I can go with this all day.

If you don't crit, smite isn't the best option for a spellslot, but sometimes necessary.

Of course, if you don't do the 6 to 8 encounter day, you can smite how you want.

coredump
2017-02-23, 09:13 PM
I almost never smite on a crit. Smites are for the big bad guy..... not beating up underlings

xyianth
2017-02-23, 09:58 PM
There are a few players who like to do this at my table. One guy throws extra dice in "I just like rolling multiple dice."

So very confusing, annoying, and distracting, and very very sketchy.

Roll one attack at a time, that's how it works.

Out of curiosity, does this mean you expect them to roll 1 attack roll (typically a d20 unless advantage), then roll damage on that roll, then roll a second attack roll, then a damage roll, etc...?
I only ask because typically we roll 1 attack roll, then a second attack roll, then however many damage dice match up to hits/crits. This tends to be easier/quicker in my experience, and the ability to apply sneak attack/smite to a critical roll doesn't really break anything. It also has the benefit of turning crits into something more significant than an extra 3-4 damage. (on average)