PDA

View Full Version : Multiple DRs stack?

SangoProduction
2017-02-23, 06:52 AM
I've seen some people say they stack, that they don't stack (but if something pierces one DR, it might not pierce the other), and others who say they don't need to stack, and each instance of DR each apply to applicable attacks.

But, I can't find those arguments again. And I may be misremembering them.

Is it ever explained in RAW what happens if you get more than 1 source of DR (in either pathfinder or 3.5), that isn't a specific example of one source saying that you can't?

Zombimode
2017-02-23, 07:01 AM
Is it ever explained in RAW what happens if you get more than 1 source of DR (in either pathfinder or 3.5), that isn't a specific example of one source saying that you can't?

Yes. From the 3.5 SRD in the description of the Special ability:

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Mordaedil
2017-02-23, 07:15 AM
Depends, are we talking Damage Reduction or Damage Resistance?

For Damage Reduction, I believe they stack as otherwise the barbarian's DR would be really pointless if you had some damage reduction 5/magic. It depends, of course. Same DR does not stack, so DR 10/magic and DR 5/magic makes only DR 10/magic apply (I don't know any situation where this would happen, but I'm sure I'm actually wrong here)

Damage Resistance does not stack. Highest applies to the damage indicated.

Zombimode
2017-02-23, 07:37 AM
For Damage Reduction, I believe they stack as otherwise the barbarian's DR would be really pointless if you had some damage reduction 5/magic. It depends, of course. Same DR does not stack, so DR 10/magic and DR 5/magic makes only DR 10/magic apply (I don't know any situation where this would happen, but I'm sure I'm actually wrong here)

There is no reason to belief or interpret anything. The text I've quoted settles the issue.

SangoProduction
2017-02-23, 07:39 AM
Yes. From the 3.5 SRD in the description of the Special ability:

Cool. Thanks.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-23, 07:46 AM
There is one or two exceptions to this rule. Some DR is expressly called out as stacking with other DR. Specifically the "roll with it" feat and one or two other things I cannot recall of the top of my head.

Firest Kathon
2017-02-23, 07:52 AM
Just to add: There are some forms of damage reduction which explicitly stack, overriding the general rule, e.g. the Iron Ward Diamond armor augment crystal (Magic Item Compendium, pg. 26).

Damage Resistance does not stack. Highest applies to the damage indicated.

There is no Damage Resistance in D/D 3.0, 3.5 or Pathfinder. You are probably thinking either about energy resistance or about D&D 5e.

Professor Chimp
2017-02-23, 10:28 AM
For Damage Reduction, I believe they stack as otherwise the barbarian's DR would be really pointless if you had some damage reduction 5/magic. It depends, of course. Same DR does not stack, so DR 10/magic and DR 5/magic makes only DR 10/magic apply (I don't know any situation where this would happen, but I'm sure I'm actually wrong here).Well, the benefit of the Barbarian's DR or any other DR x/- is that there is no weapon that can negate it, even in the high levels, whereas that DR 5/magic will get bypassed by pretty much anything and their mothers you encounter once past a certain level. Doesn't make taking 19 levels of 3.5 Barb for that DR 5/- worth it, but every little bit counts, I guess.

You are right in that if you get DR x/magic from two sources, only the highest would apply and they don't stack.
However, what if you had two different types of DR? Say, DR 5/magic and DR 10/silver? Well, they still wouldn't stack, but that doesn't make them entirely useless.

If you get hit with a mundane weapon, neither gets negated, thus DR 10/silver would apply for being the highest you have.If you get hit with a silvered weapon, DR 10/silver would get negated, but DR 5/magic wouldn't.If you get hit with a magical weapon, your DR 5/magic is negated, but your DR 10/silver still applies.Of course, a weapon that is both silvered and magical would negate both DRs.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-23, 10:49 AM
That is why some forms of DR are just nice to have. DR 1/silver is as good as DR/- as silver weapons deal -1 damage. DR / cold iron is also nice as cold iron is a pain to make a weapon out of.

Zanos
2017-02-23, 10:51 AM
Well, the benefit of the Barbarian's DR or any other DR x/- is that there is no weapon that can negate it, even in the high levels, whereas that DR 5/magic will get bypassed by pretty much anything and their mothers you encounter once past a certain level.
As an aside, this is a common misconception. Most printed monsters, even at higher CRs, lack the ability to bypass DR/Magic. Many rely on natural weapons and at higher levels tend to have DR forms other than /Magic, so your own DR/Magic will still apply. Dragons are a notable exception as their DR never changes, but most other high level threats tends to have aligned or material DR.

If you encounter a lot of humanoid enemies this changes because at those levels they'll probably have at least +1 weapons.

For the actual thread question, DR does not stack unless it explicitly says it does, but you get the best of any DR in a given situation. So if a creature has DR 10/Evil and Dr 5/Silver, it will reduce the damage by 10 if you hit it with weapon that's neither or Silver, and reduce the damage by 5 if you hit him with an Evil weapon. You'd need an Evil Silver weapon to bypass the DR completely.

That is why some forms of DR are just nice to have. DR 1/silver is as good as DR/- as silver weapons deal -1 damage. DR / cold iron is also nice as cold iron is a pain to make a weapon out of.
Material and aligned DRs rarely go out of style. Few monsters are built to bypass them and even many NPCs don't carry a golfbag full of different weapons.