PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I have an idea for a boss fight, but would like help fleshing it out.

Xaroth
2017-02-23, 07:01 AM
So, what my idea basically boils down to, is a fight where the players will begin the fight in the BBEG's arena (there may be two BBEGs) and as soon as the fight begins, a beam of light will erupt in the floor tile they occupy and slowly turn to darkness. The darkness then disappears, and none of the members of the party can see their other members any more. They can hear them, smell them, touch them, they just can't see them. The BBEGs, however, would be able to see them all, and all the members of the party would be able to see the BBEGs.

The fight would then become a matter of co-ordinating locations, and trying to avoid hitting each other due to an alternative take on concealment rolls which will be used in this fight: If you miss the enemy, you roll concealment checks against allies who may end up attacked instead. If you fail concealment, you then determine if your attack roll would meet the AC, and calculate damage against your friend.

I feel like the idea may be too frustrating, or it may be fun, or it may just not be fun at all, or it could use some refinement. That's why I'm here.

The BBEGs would consist of an advanced Whitespawn Hordeling and an advanced Redspawn Arcanist, I think.

Does anybody have any or insights? The BBEGs aren't set in stone, so I can change those around.

EDIT: This is 3.5e, btw.

Zombimode
2017-02-23, 07:08 AM
So, what my idea basically boils down to, is a fight where the players will begin the fight in the BBEG's arena (there may be two BBEGs) and as soon as the fight begins, a beam of light will erupt in the floor tile they occupy and slowly turn to darkness. The darkness then disappears, and none of the members of the party can see their other members any more. They can hear them, smell them, touch them, they just can't see them. The BBEGs, however, would be able to see them all, and all the members of the party would be able to see the BBEGs.

How is this effect accomplished?
Answering this question is important since it determines how the effect can be interacted with.

The fight would then become a matter of co-ordinating locations, and trying to avoid hitting each other due to an alternative take on concealment rolls which will be used in this fight: If you miss the enemy, you roll concealment checks against allies who may end up attacked instead. If you fail concealment, you then determine if your attack roll would meet the AC, and calculate damage against your friend.

Why would you possibly hit an ally in this case? You can still clearly see the enemy, right?

Xaroth
2017-02-23, 07:14 AM
How is this effect accomplished?
Answering this question is important since it determines how the effect can be interacted with.

How do you mean? It would essentially be a form of Greater Invisibility, whilst the BBEGs would have True Seeing.

Why would you possibly hit an ally in this case? You can still clearly see the enemy, right?

Yes, but since you can't see your allies you can't properly judge where they are and unconsciously account for it in your swings, would be my logic. You miss them, your weapon goes a bit too far to the left and you didn't know your ally was there.

Zombimode
2017-02-23, 07:32 AM
How do you mean? It would essentially be a form of Greater Invisibility, whilst the BBEGs would have True Seeing.

No, I mean how is the effect accomplished? Does it allow spell resistance?
Blindsight, Touchsight? Darkvision? Dispell Magic? And so on and so forth.

Yes, but since you can't see your allies you can't properly judge where they are and unconsciously account for it in your swings, would be my logic. You miss them, your weapon goes a bit too far to the left and you didn't know your ally was there.

What if I'm using a piercing weapon (like spears, shortswords, daggers etc.)? What if I'm using a ranged weapon?
What if I'm using sword but specify that I'm using thrusts?
What if Í'm using any Kind of hacking/slashing weapon but specify that I will Focus on using vertical attacks?

Also, what kind of incredible wide swings do you imagine? People don't exactly cluster in combat (each square is 5 ft.).

Also, not hitting the targets armor class does not necessarily mean that the attack did not connected with the enemy. That it was parried or stoped by armor/deflection is equally possible.