PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printers in Education

MrZJunior
2017-02-23, 10:06 AM
Hey guys.

I work at an institution that teaches a lot of soft skills, we recently bought a couple 3D printers and we haven't figured out how to use them to train people in softer skills. Can you folks think of anything?

Peelee
2017-02-23, 10:18 AM
Hey guys.

I work at an institution that teaches a lot of soft skills, we recently bought a couple 3D printers and we haven't figured out how to use them to train people in softer skills. Can you folks think of anything?

Can you define "soft skills?"

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-23, 10:57 AM
Can you define "soft skills?"

This means interpersonal skills, right, as opposed to manual and intellectual skills? The things that are not taught as traditional subjects and that can't be assessed with tests. Empathy, flexibility, insight, professionalism, sympathy, wit, teamwork... those sorts of things?

I don't know much about teaching soft skills, but I figure a group-based project to imagine, design and realise a product would be good. Maybe a children's toy, so that the students have to think about the wants and needs of children and parents?

Do you have DT (design technology) lessons in your institution? They were compulsory when I was in school, but I'm aware that a lot of places don't offer it as a subject at all any more.

MrZJunior
2017-03-01, 11:09 AM
This means interpersonal skills, right, as opposed to manual and intellectual skills? The things that are not taught as traditional subjects and that can't be assessed with tests. Empathy, flexibility, insight, professionalism, sympathy, wit, teamwork... those sorts of things?

Precisely

I don't know much about teaching soft skills, but I figure a group-based project to imagine, design and realise a product would be good. Maybe a children's toy, so that the students have to think about the wants and needs of children and parents?

That's a very interesting idea, thank you.

Do you have DT (design technology) lessons in your institution? They were compulsory when I was in school, but I'm aware that a lot of places don't offer it as a subject at all any more.

This is the first I've ever heard of DT, they definitely don't teach it here.