PDA

View Full Version : Advantage in Combat?

Regitnui
2017-02-23, 10:24 AM
Ok, I've been reading around and I'm fairly certain I'm using advantage wrong in combat. But how does a rogue get advantage on attacks every turn? Surprise?

Cybren
2017-02-23, 10:28 AM
Ok, I've been reading around and I'm fairly certain I'm using advantage wrong in combat. But how does a rogue get advantage on attacks every turn? Surprise?

Surprise/attacking from stealth, knocking enemies prone, spells (like faerie fire), class abilities (like vow of enmity), situational impromptu actions. And of course, you don't need advantage if you got an ally with you

ad_hoc
2017-02-23, 10:30 AM

Are you asking about Advantage or Sneak Attack?

Specter
2017-02-23, 10:36 AM
He doesn't. IF he does, then he can sneak attack. But if not, he will need a nearby ally for it (without advantage, just the normal attack + sneak damage).

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-23, 12:38 PM
Generally the Rouge does the following

0.Expertise in Steath ( and any magic item that grants a bonus to stealth in any way shape or form )

1. Starts combat hidden ( Because they are "always" sneaking )

2. Makes the attack roll with advantage ( For being hidden )

3. Uses their bonus action to Hid again ( Cunning Action )

4. Cannot be attacked or stopped ( Because the enemy does not know where they are)

5. Repeat 1-4 until the encounter is over

The correct way to stop this is to tell the rouge that he can only shoot so many shots from the shadows before everybody becomes aware of where he is shooting from, regardless of whether they see him or not. This requires the rouge to move around and find other sources of advantage besides " my cloak is up, so they don't see me "

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-23, 12:41 PM

He does not really need Advantage for Sneak Attack, just another Party Member within 5ft of the target, like a Hobgoblin.

Tanarii
2017-02-23, 12:48 PM
Generally the Rouge does the following
That's pop-up Hiding. It's debatable if it's possible, although the debate really boils down to 5e leaves it in the hands of the DM to determine if it's possible to do pop-up hiding like that.

Or as you put it:

The correct way to stop this is to tell the rouge that he can only shoot so many shots from the shadows before everybody becomes aware of where he is shooting from, regardless of whether they see him or not. This requires the rouge to move around and find other sources of advantage besides " my cloak is up, so they don't see me "

I really should read the entire post properly before posting. :smallredface:

Regitnui
2017-02-23, 03:11 PM
He does not really need Advantage for Sneak Attack, just another Party Member within 5ft of the target, like a Hobgoblin.

Isn't flanking optional, though?

Rysto
2017-02-23, 03:15 PM

Flanking granting advantage is optional (and not well liked as an optional rule on this forum). However, the rogue's sneak attack specifically triggers if they have advantage on the attack roll or an ally is within 5 ft of the target.

Grondar
2017-02-23, 04:59 PM
We have found in our home game that gaining advantage from flanking is to strong and limit it to a +2 to hit.

Puh Laden
2017-02-23, 05:13 PM
Rules as Written: A rogue can use sneak attack if they have advantage. If they don't have disadvantage, they can also sneak attack if a non-incapacitated enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of the target.

Note: the rogue does not need to be within 5 ft. of the target, and sneak attack is compatible only with finesse and ranged weapons in both circumstances. Also note that it specifies an "enemy of the target" not an ally, this is useful for the rogue and opens up possibilities in the odd three-way battle. (Also remember that if you have sources of both advantage and disadvantage you count as having neither.)

The rule is easy enough to comprehend but a bit of a mouthful, and it isn't a particularly simple phrasing.

Desamir
2017-02-23, 05:54 PM

Flanking is an optional rule (and a bad one, IMO), but Sneak Attack doesn't need it.

SNEAK ATTACK
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-23, 06:16 PM
Ugh... I hate when people (including myself) don't get rules right and weaken characters, be them monsters or pcs! It makes me burn with hatred inside! Specially when people don't understand rules that even I, the "non-special guy" with the worst stats (both physical and mental stats) possible in the world, understands easily! :smallfurious:

Edit: Seriously, I can't even drive a car without finding it too mentally and phisically exhaustive!