PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Vampiric Vines - Undead Plants

JamesIntrocaso
2017-02-23, 10:36 AM
I'm making more undead because there's a CR gap (between 5 and 13) in the Monster Manual and I need a few more. My latest creation is the vampiric vine, because undead plants why not?

Take a look at it in the link below. Let me know what you think.
https://worldbuilderblog.me/2017/02/23/vampire-vines/

MrStabby
2017-02-25, 02:15 PM
I'm making more undead because there's a CR gap (between 5 and 13) in the Monster Manual and I need a few more. My latest creation is the vampiric vine, because undead plants why not?

Take a look at it in the link below. Let me know what you think.
https://worldbuilderblog.me/2017/02/23/vampire-vines/

So the first thoughts:

There is a lot of potential for different plants here with different backgrounds - it may depend on how far you want to expand them though. For the fluff, separating out seeds grown on desecrated ground and plants killed by necrotic damage would work for me.

Personally, I prefer the "grown on desecrated ground" thing. It makes it just a little harder for PCs to create thickets of these things without significant effort - rather than finding a thicket and casting blight or whatever on it.

As to the content - this is always tricky to judge. There is a difference between saying "I think this would improve it" and "I would have done it differently". I am guessing that your way would fill your world's needs better. Nevertheless I will plough on with my thoughts, roughly working down the stat block:

1) coming out at night/movement: making these more mobile seems to slightly undermine their uniqueness. Sure less mobile plants are less dangerous, but that can be addressed elsewhere in their stat-block. I feel you miss out on some of the "plant" element through the higher movement speed. I like the burrow and climb though, coupled with the ability to squeeze through small spaces. Lots of potential scenarios where you are trying to keep undead out in a siege and these things appear.

2) Size, AC, HP. These seem OK. A solid block of HP and tough. Size stops it being grappled, which is good. If it were me I would drop the AC a bit and put more of it's defences into resistances and HP and maybe regeneration abilities., to me this would feel more plant like.

3) Stat line. Yeah, I realise I seem to be on a bit of the theme here but plants should seem less dexterous to me. Everything else seems to be aptly terrifying.

4) Saves: again with dex?

5) Vulnerabilities, immunities and resistances, seems good although I would be tempted to give resistance to all bludgeoning and piecing damage: plant physiology not being too badly effected by poking small holes in it. Maybe sunlight sensitivity to play up the vampire part?

6) Senses/languages. Seem perfect

7) Actions. These are pretty cool. Terrifying potentially if used in an ambush. There are two attacks, but unlike other creatures that grapple on an attack there is no limit to the number of creatures that can be grappled simultaneously. Leach life is good, but if you get a number of people grappled it can be gaining 70+ HP so quite a turnaround in a battle. It all adds to the tension though, so i like the ability.

8) Overall. I like it. I would use this for a higher level encounter though - one of these accompanied by other forces. As it is it is not going to be that hard to defeat by a prepared party but could be very dangerous to a party not expecting these. One thing I find odd though is target of CR of 12 on a vampire themed enemy given that the vampire itself is there at CR13. I wonder if it might be more useful (in terms of filling a gap) if it were a little lower CR?

I am not sure what feedback you were hoping for, but I hope this has been of some use.

JamesIntrocaso
2017-02-25, 02:31 PM
So the first thoughts:

There is a lot of potential for different plants here with different backgrounds - it may depend on how far you want to expand them though. For the fluff, separating out seeds grown on desecrated ground and plants killed by necrotic damage would work for me.

Personally, I prefer the "grown on desecrated ground" thing. It makes it just a little harder for PCs to create thickets of these things without significant effort - rather than finding a thicket and casting blight or whatever on it.

As to the content - this is always tricky to judge. There is a difference between saying "I think this would improve it" and "I would have done it differently". I am guessing that your way would fill your world's needs better. Nevertheless I will plough on with my thoughts, roughly working down the stat block:

1) coming out at night/movement: making these more mobile seems to slightly undermine their uniqueness. Sure less mobile plants are less dangerous, but that can be addressed elsewhere in their stat-block. I feel you miss out on some of the "plant" element through the higher movement speed. I like the burrow and climb though, coupled with the ability to squeeze through small spaces. Lots of potential scenarios where you are trying to keep undead out in a siege and these things appear.

2) Size, AC, HP. These seem OK. A solid block of HP and tough. Size stops it being grappled, which is good. If it were me I would drop the AC a bit and put more of it's defences into resistances and HP and maybe regeneration abilities., to me this would feel more plant like.

3) Stat line. Yeah, I realise I seem to be on a bit of the theme here but plants should seem less dexterous to me. Everything else seems to be aptly terrifying.

4) Saves: again with dex?

5) Vulnerabilities, immunities and resistances, seems good although I would be tempted to give resistance to all bludgeoning and piecing damage: plant physiology not being too badly effected by poking small holes in it. Maybe sunlight sensitivity to play up the vampire part?

6) Senses/languages. Seem perfect

7) Actions. These are pretty cool. Terrifying potentially if used in an ambush. There are two attacks, but unlike other creatures that grapple on an attack there is no limit to the number of creatures that can be grappled simultaneously. Leach life is good, but if you get a number of people grappled it can be gaining 70+ HP so quite a turnaround in a battle. It all adds to the tension though, so i like the ability.

8) Overall. I like it. I would use this for a higher level encounter though - one of these accompanied by other forces. As it is it is not going to be that hard to defeat by a prepared party but could be very dangerous to a party not expecting these. One thing I find odd though is target of CR of 12 on a vampire themed enemy given that the vampire itself is there at CR13. I wonder if it might be more useful (in terms of filling a gap) if it were a little lower CR?

I am not sure what feedback you were hoping for, but I hope this has been of some use.

Thank you so much for all this feedback. I really appreciate you doing a deep dive and getting constructive on both story and mechanics!!!

MrStabby
2017-02-25, 03:25 PM
Thank you so much for all this feedback. I really appreciate you doing a deep dive and getting constructive on both story and mechanics!!!

Ah, well if it's useful I will try taking a look at anything else you have done.