PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rules clarification

Tyrex
2017-02-23, 12:39 PM
I know that mage armor normally can not stack. Casting it again simply restarts the duration. But what if it is a bonus from a magic weapon that is enchanted to have a similar effect? Like a sword that makes you harder to hit? If I had two of them, duel wielded, would they stack then because it's coming from a non spell source, or would the fact that it is an AC bonus mean that it counts as one?

Would this work for other similar spell effects, like Bear's Endurance?

Darth Ultron
2017-02-23, 12:51 PM
I know that mage armor normally can not stack. Casting it again simply restarts the duration. But what if it is a bonus from a magic weapon that is enchanted to have a similar effect? Like a sword that makes you harder to hit? If I had two of them, duel wielded, would they stack then because it's coming from a non spell source, or would the fact that it is an AC bonus mean that it counts as one?

Would this work for other similar spell effects, like Bear's Endurance?

It all depends on where the bonus comes from. Different bonuses stack. Mage armor is an armor bonus, so you can make other armor type spells with other bonuses. For example: Lucky Armor:this spell is exactly like Mage Armor, except the bonus is a luck bonus. So the two bonuses will stack.

KillianHawkeye
2017-02-23, 12:54 PM
I'm going to guess that you're talking about D&D 3.5, although you posted this in the General Roleplaying forum.

In 3.5, mage armor provides an "armor bonus" to AC, which is why it doesn't stack with physical armor or any other effect that provides and armor bonus.

If your hypothetical swords work the same as mage armor, then having two of them won't improve your AC any more than just one would. On the other hand, you could get a pair of weapons with the Defending enhancement which allows you to trade your enhancement bonus to attacks and damage for a bonus to AC that "stacks with all others."

As for spells such as bear's endurance, it provides an enhancement bonus to your ability score and won't stack with anything that also provides an enhancement bonus to the same ability score, just like with mage armor and armor bonuses to AC.

Tyrex
2017-02-23, 01:00 PM
It all depends on where the bonus comes from. Different bonuses stack. Mage armor is an armor bonus, so you can make other armor type spells with other bonuses. For example: Lucky Armor:this spell is exactly like Mage Armor, except the bonus is a luck bonus. So the two bonuses will stack.

Thanks Darth. Are there any other similar spells?

I'm going to guess that you're talking about D&D 3.5, although you posted this in the General Roleplaying forum.

Sorry about that Kilian, Im kind of new and I guess I just didn't think it through all the way.

Darth Ultron
2017-02-23, 01:07 PM
Thanks Darth. Are there any other similar spells?

Not many in the official books. Wizards was careful to not just publish the same spell twelve times and just change the type each time.

The spells Mage armor and the spell Shield do stack and you can toss in a buff that increases your characters dexterity.

And some of the more wacky 3rd party books have things like ''insight armor'' and ''competence armor'' and so on.

Tyrex
2017-02-23, 01:11 PM
Not many in the official books. Wizards was careful to not just publish the same spell twelve times and just change the type each time.

The spells Mage armor and the spell Shield do stack and you can toss in a buff that increases your characters dexterity.

And some of the more wacky 3rd party books have things like ''insight armor'' and ''competence armor'' and so on.

Thanks again for the help. I've found a few that can work out.

KillianHawkeye
2017-02-23, 01:14 PM
Sorry about that Kilian, Im kind of new and I guess I just didn't think it through all the way.

That's fine, I was really just posting that disclaimer in case my assumption about your game version was wrong.

Welcome to GiantITP! :smallsmile:

Coretron03
2017-02-23, 08:39 PM
Well, there isLuminous armour and its greater version are basically mage armour+ as they give +5, level 2 spell and +8, level 4 spell respectively and both of them give a -4 penalty on melee attacks against you. You do have to be "utterly devoted to good" though and when the spell ends (1 hour a level duration) you take either 1d2 or 1d3 str damage dpeneding on spell used which can be fixed easily enough by something as simple as sleeping/resting. When it says its "Sanctified" that means and prepared casters can use them, including wizards.

KillianHawkeye
2017-02-24, 12:37 AM
You probably shouldn't be posting links to D&DTools. They're not exactly legal. Are you trying to get their website taken down again?

Anyway, the luminous armor spells don't really solve the issue of stacking, since they're still armor bonuses (just like mage armor). The real benefit of luminous armor is for RAW legal Abjurant Champion usage.