PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade's lv14 feature: Hexblade's Curse - Definitive Answer

jaappleton
2017-02-23, 01:56 PM
You can use Hexblade's Curse an unlimited number of times, but can only ever have one active Curse going on at once.

Source: Jeremy Crawford

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/834838075104645120

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-23, 02:01 PM
I wasn't aware that there was any dispute surrounding this feature. To me, it reads exactly that way.

jaappleton
2017-02-23, 02:03 PM
I wasn't aware that there was any dispute surrounding this feature. To me, it reads exactly that way.

It was contentious in another topic. I made this one to draw everyone's attention so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Legitimately, I didn't read it that way. I read it as "another use per short rest".

So now everyone knows. I stand corrected.

Mikal
2017-02-23, 02:25 PM
It was contentious in another topic. I made this one to draw everyone's attention so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Legitimately, I didn't read it that way. I read it as "another use per short rest".

So now everyone knows. I stand corrected.

While I was arguing for the unlimited uses, I honestly thought it was going to be the other way. Still... does make taking Hexblade to 14 actually feel useful.

Matrix_Walker
2017-02-23, 02:33 PM
After reading the other thread, I now can see how some thought it was just one additional use.

My initial reading of the RAW did match the RAI.

jaappleton
2017-02-23, 02:38 PM
While I was arguing for the unlimited uses, I honestly thought it was going to be an extra. Still... does make taking Hexblade to 14 actually feel useful.

Undoubtedly. I think the lv10 is really nice, though remember it only works VS your cursed target. And of course, this is essentially as good as it can get for the Hexblade's lv14.

So the only glaring weak spot on the Hexblade's feature list is the lv6 feature.

Steampunkette
2017-02-23, 02:46 PM
It's only a weak spot if you're only ever going to be doing melee.

I could see a perfectly good ranged caster build based on the Hexblade which relies on the Charisma to Melee exclusively as a fallback.

Chain or Tome Pact Boon, Using Hexblade's Curse on enemies within the 60ft margin to make all of your Eldritch Blasts gain 19-20 Crit and +2-6 points of damage. Combine it with Hex on following rounds to lower their ability checks and add another d6 of damage. Wear Medium Armor to free up the Armor of Shadows invocation slot and move a couple points of potential Dex increase over into Constitution or Wisdom to be better all around. Could even have a shield in your off hand and the Rod of the Pact Keeper in your main hand to smack people with when you absolutely need to.

Once you get the Shadow Hound, refluff it's style (I'll be using a shadow-dagger thrown at my opponent's shadow) and ignore cover penalties as long as you can get within 30ft of the target to start with, then move as far away as feels comfortable to continue blasting.

Works just fine as a way to make a Hexblade who isn't Pact of the Blade. And even if you -do- mostly go for Pact of the Blade, you can still toss it onto a nearby ranged attacker while you're fighting someone else, then turn and blast them into bits when your current target is dead.

It may not be -perfect- or -optimal- for use in Melee, but not every Hexblade Ability needs to be. You're still going to have ranged abilities and should use them, from time to time.

Mikal
2017-02-23, 02:53 PM
It's only a weak spot if you're only ever going to be doing melee.

I could see a perfectly good ranged caster build based on the Hexblade which relies on the Charisma to Melee exclusively as a fallback.

Chain or Tome Pact Boon, Using Hexblade's Curse on enemies within the 60ft margin to make all of your Eldritch Blasts gain 19-20 Crit and +2-6 points of damage. Combine it with Hex on following rounds to lower their ability checks and add another d6 of damage. Wear Medium Armor to free up the Armor of Shadows invocation slot and move a couple points of potential Dex increase over into Constitution or Wisdom to be better all around. Could even have a shield in your off hand and the Rod of the Pact Keeper in your main hand to smack people with when you absolutely need to.

Once you get the Shadow Hound, refluff it's style (I'll be using a shadow-dagger thrown at my opponent's shadow) and ignore cover penalties as long as you can get within 30ft of the target to start with, then move as far away as feels comfortable to continue blasting.

Works just fine as a way to make a Hexblade who isn't Pact of the Blade. And even if you -do- mostly go for Pact of the Blade, you can still toss it onto a nearby ranged attacker while you're fighting someone else, then turn and blast them into bits when your current target is dead.

It may not be -perfect- or -optimal- for use in Melee, but not every Hexblade Ability needs to be. You're still going to have ranged abilities and should use them, from time to time.

That's actually a good idea for ranged, though you'd have to actually be within 30 ft. to place the curse, not 60.

Either you'll be within potential melee retaliation range since you would have to move in, Curse, wait till next turn, Hex/Move Out, EB all the live long day.

Personally, I'd have made the Level 6 ability relentless hex and made a new invocation in its place, though that might be too powerful.