PDA

View Full Version : UA Bloodlines CR Adjustment?

atemu1234
2017-02-23, 02:04 PM
So if we apply the bloodlines to monsters, what would the CR increase be? Reasonably. Because the rules I've seen seem to imply they are for PC use, but what use is that to a DM unless I can add it to monsters for the heck of it?

ComaVision
2017-02-23, 02:21 PM
RAW, there is no CR increase. Be sure to loudly shout this at your players after TPKing them with an unfair combat.

EDIT: Reasonably, I probably wouldn't increase the CR unless I was (ab)using the effective character level increase (for spellcasting or Hellfire or whatever).

atemu1234
2017-02-23, 03:57 PM
RAW, there is no CR increase. Be sure to loudly shout this at your players after TPKing them with an unfair combat.

EDIT: Reasonably, I probably wouldn't increase the CR unless I was (ab)using the effective character level increase (for spellcasting or Hellfire or whatever).

I'm just trying to figure out how I should CR a tribe of Kobolds descended form red dragons with major red dragon bloodlines; the first level warrior would probably still be CR 1/2 or so.

Dagroth
2017-02-23, 04:10 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how I should CR a tribe of Kobolds descended form red dragons with major red dragon bloodlines; the first level warrior would probably still be CR 1/2 or so.

Bloodlines are LA that you pay off over time.

A level 1 character/Monster with a Major Bloodline is... still a level 1 character.

Below 5 HD? I'd say no modifier. At best, you're going to pick up a half-way decent feat and some modifiers that won't really affect the monster.

From 5-10 HD? Probably +1 CR.

From 11-15 HD? Probably +2 CR.

16+ HD? It's a judgement call at that point. If the Major Bloodline makes a noticeable difference on the sheet, then +3 CR. Otherwise, stay at +2 CR.

Intermediate Bloodline should only give +1 CR at 12+ HD... maybe +2 CR if you see a noticeable difference on the sheet after 15 HD.

Minor Bloodline should maybe give +1 CR at 12+ HD if you see a noticeable difference on the sheet.

MisterKaws
2017-02-23, 04:10 PM
Just like ECL. If you're using Bloodlines for NPCs, you're most likely using creatures that advance through classes(which is your case), and thus have very similar advancement to normal PCs. Basically, you add +1CR at each of the breakpoints stated, just as if it was a template with scaling.

Dagroth
2017-02-23, 04:16 PM
Just like ECL. If you're using Bloodlines for NPCs, you're most likely using creatures that advance through classes(which is your case), and thus have very similar advancement to normal PCs. Basically, you add +1CR at each of the breakpoints stated, just as if it was a template with scaling.

I disagree. In general, the Major Bloodlines in UA are rarely worth the effective ECL 3 for most character builds. And even then, you're not getting your xp worth until level 16+

Yeah, you can get slightly early entry into some PRCs due to Caster Level & Skill Cap boosts, but most of the bloodlines are built for melee characters.

atemu1234
2017-02-23, 07:03 PM
I disagree. In general, the Major Bloodlines in UA are rarely worth the effective ECL 3 for most character builds. And even then, you're not getting your xp worth until level 16+

Yeah, you can get slightly early entry into some PRCs due to Caster Level & Skill Cap boosts, but most of the bloodlines are built for melee characters.

Yeah, there's a reason it doesn't increase ECL - it definitely isn't on par with a character level.