PDA

View Full Version : Failed Sanctuary save vs Opportunity Attack

ebbisis
2017-02-23, 05:16 PM
Hi,

If a mook attempts an opportunity attack against a creature that has the sanctuary spell cast on them and fails the save , can the mook redirect the attack against another creature within 5 foot or is the reaction lost?

Feuerphoenix
2017-02-25, 06:03 AM
I think he is allowed to redirect the target then. the condition to make an AoO is met, and triggers an attack. When this attack has to be redirected, you don't need to care about whether another creature meets the conditions for an AoO

Arkhios
2017-02-25, 07:57 AM
I would say the Opportunity Attack is just wasted. It really doesn't make sense to me to have an attack failed due to sanctuary to be redirected against another who isn't appropriate target given the conditions.

Monavic
2017-02-25, 09:38 AM
I would say the Opportunity Attack is just wasted. It really doesn't make sense to me to have an attack failed due to sanctuary to be redirected against another who isn't appropriate target given the conditions.

This is right. Opportunity attack says "against the provoking creature" so you can not attack something else. After failing a save vs sanctuary if you can not legally attack someone else the attack is wasted.

RSP
2017-02-25, 12:13 PM
Just to add: the character's reaction is used up as well.

Deleted
2017-02-25, 12:27 PM
Just to add: the character's reaction is used up as well.

Wat?

Why would a mook failing the save cause the character's reaction to be used up?

Pex
2017-02-25, 12:38 PM
Wat?

Why would a mook failing the save cause the character's reaction to be used up?

Because he used his reaction. His reaction was to make an opportunity attack. That he could not do it to its completion is not the fault of spending the reaction resource.

Mellack
2017-02-25, 01:23 PM
I think there is some miscommunication. The reaction is used by the creature attempting to make the OA. Not the one with the sanctuary running. (At least that is how I understand it.)

RSP
2017-02-25, 01:24 PM
Yup. Choosing to use reaction and failing to make the attack due to Sanctuary still uses your reaction. Similar to using your reaction to cast Counterspell but failing to actually counter the spell (due to higher level slot than 3rd); you still used your reaction even though you failed at what you were trying to do.

Once you invoke the save against Sanctuary, you've used your reaction to make the OA, pass or fail. You don't get to retroactively decide not to use it after you've seen how the dice play out.

RSP
2017-02-25, 01:26 PM
Oh and to clarify my comments: character = either an NPC or PC.

The one using the OA losses their reaction, not the one who has Sanctuary up.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Deleted
2017-02-25, 01:53 PM
Because he used his reaction. His reaction was to make an opportunity attack. That he could not do it to its completion is not the fault of spending the reaction resource.

See below.

I think there is some miscommunication. The reaction is used by the creature attempting to make the OA. Not the one with the sanctuary running. (At least that is how I understand it.)

Yeah, I thought the person was saying the sanctuary user would lose their reaction.

Oh and to clarify my comments: character = either an NPC or PC.

The one using the OA losses their reaction, not the one who has Sanctuary up.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Gotcha, thats what I thought you may have meant but was trying to make sure I didn't miss something.