PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monk doing Kaman Kick

Kotenkiri
2017-02-23, 10:09 PM
One of my players want to have his Monk do Shadow Step into the air above the enemy, as he falls, he want to kick them and use Slow Fall to limit or negate the damage from all of it.
He argues that all the damage from the fall should be added to the kick without penalty.
Personally I feel like that would be too much. Want your guy opinions on this.

RickAllison
2017-02-23, 10:20 PM
One of my players want to have his Monk do Shadow Step into the air above the enemy, as he falls, he want to kick them and use Slow Fall to limit or negate the damage from all of it.
He argues that all the damage from the fall should be added to the kick without penalty.

He has slowed his fall so that he takes no damage. He doesn't have the extra force to transfer to his kick. If he chooses NOT to Slow Fall, you might award some bonus damage (your choice on how much) at the cost of his health.

What I would offer instead is that if someone has not seen him use this attack, he gains some benefit like an extended critical range or a small status condition like knocking the target prone. It will only work a maximum of once per encounter, and won't get that if against an enemy that has prepared for the trick already, but it is a nice benefit without going too crazy.

ad_hoc
2017-02-24, 12:36 AM
Big ol' nope.

It's like the barbarian describing that they hoist their axe over their head and then bring it down extra hard and asking for more damage.

The game assumes you are trying to do as much damage as you can. The damage roll represents how well you succeeded.

Cespenar
2017-02-24, 12:38 AM
Say that all those efforts are already fed into the advantage he's getting to his attack.

Desamir
2017-02-24, 12:41 AM

Balance issues aside, that doesn't even make sense on a conceptual level.

jitzul
2017-02-24, 01:58 AM
Easy way to do this is to have a custom magic item that activates after they use step of wind to jump. Once step of wind is activated they get to do a special attack once a day that does something like 6 martial arts die worth of damage. Heck if you want to make it a whole sale kaman rider thing make it a belt and give the wearer the ability to use summon steed 3 times a day.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-02-24, 02:56 AM

If I had a player that suggested this, I'd say "okay, you teleport above him and slowly fall down allowing him time to notice you and punch you in the balls. That's a critical hit on you."

LudicSavant
2017-02-24, 03:47 AM
If I had a player that suggested this, I'd say "okay, you teleport above him and slowly fall down allowing him time to notice you and punch you in the balls. That's a critical hit on you."

Huh. That sounds familiar.

https://typeandrew.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/ballpunch.gif

Checkmate.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-02-24, 05:53 AM
Huh. That sounds familiar.

https://typeandrew.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/ballpunch.gif

Checkmate.

LOL. The gelatinous jiggling of his junk after getting hit is preposterous.

JellyPooga
2017-02-24, 05:59 AM
What your player wants is the Charger Feat, in all it's useless glory. Well...what he wants is a free and unjustified damage bonus. What he's gonna get is the Charger Feat or nothing.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-24, 10:39 AM
i beleive damage per feet of extar health yur willing to take makes sense