PDA

View Full Version : Help with a coliseum fight

Accountant
2007-07-23, 09:23 PM
Yeah, this is another one of those threads where a pseudo-experianced player is asking for the advice of all of the other DnD geniuses around here :smallwink:

So, for a campaign that we have, our DM has entered us into some level-appropriate coliseum battles. In the next fight, my 5th level evoker (if you need me to, I can lay out stats and whatnot) is going to be fighting against another player's 5th level cleric (don't know his).

I feel pretty good about winning, but he keeps incinuating that he has some sort of nasty trick up his sleeve that's going to be his trump card. He might just be planning to use blindness or something, but... even still. Domains are plant and animal, so nothing too trecherous.

As for my own fight, I was planning to use a scroll for fly to avoid all of the touch spells for which he is so infamous, then do some classic blasting from above.

Any thoughts on what he might be planning?

Quietus
2007-07-23, 09:34 PM
I'd say that in that situation, if I could pull it off, I'd be going for a Poison spell - wizards generally aren't fond of con damage.

Korias
2007-07-23, 09:38 PM
Simple: Use Slay Living.

Wait, its not on the Evoker list.

This might take a bit of thinking...

Zel
2007-07-23, 09:39 PM
Meh, his nasty trick most likely involves a saving throw, in which case you have a good chance to avoid it. Just go with the fly spell and do what clercis to best; overpowerdly kick ass.

Lemur
2007-07-23, 10:31 PM
What are your typical tactics in a fight? Since this cleric is another PC, he's seen you fight, so he knows what you typically do during combat, and his trump card might be centered around countering your standard tactics (or if you have a trump of your own, countering that). If you can analyze your actions in previous encounters and duels, there might be a hint in there.

If you use fly often, than he might have a dispel magic ready for you. You're an evoker, and at your level, I can imagine you might be using a lot of fire spells, like scorching ray and fireball in your encounters against monsters. Against such a patented offense, a protection from elements spell would make you waste most of your fire spells trying to hurt him. Other than that, Blindness/Deafness is the only spell I can think of that targets your bad save (unless you're using spells outside core in your game as well).

If you have Dispel Magic, memorize one of them. Most likely, it will protect you from his trump card by giving you a counter against a debuff on you or a troublesome buff on him.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-23, 10:35 PM
As for my own fight, I was planning to use a scroll for fly to avoid all of the touch spells for which he is so infamous, then do some classic blasting from above.

Any thoughts on what he might be planning?

Dude? You're famous for flying? Dispel magic. Do you know what the sound of a wizard hitting the ground at terminal velocity is?

Edit: Oh. Forgot entangle and Grapple checks if he wins initiative. Those will gimp a wizard pretty bad if successful.

TheOOB
2007-07-23, 11:06 PM
Really, the first person to cast a save or die or save or lose spell will win. If you can get a scroll of it, a wall of stone might be effective against a cleric, clerics typically have horrible reflex saves.