PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about the next session.

NecroDancer
2017-02-24, 10:32 AM
So tomorrow during our next session we are going to be rescuing a werewolf from castle ravenloft. Our plan is to cast locate creature outside the castle then have me dimension door to his location. Next I locate the werewolf and free him from his changes than dimension door out with him.

The only problem is due to the nature of this plan I'll be on my own in the castle. So far all I know of the castle is that there is a electric suit of sentient power armor, a evil assassin elf, a Revenant hunting me down and the vampire Strahd defending it.

My only hope is to cast invisibility on myself and pray I don't run into any traps. If I die I can't be resurrected because I will be stuck in the castle.

So to recap I'll be invisibly wandering a death castle alone looking for

1. A werewolf (top priority)

2. 300 gp worth of diamonds (for the cleric's revivify spell)

3. Magic items (this is a lessor priority)

What I'm trying to avoid

1. A spellcasting vampire

2. A electric robot

3. A Revenant

4. An assassin elf

5. Curses (I have like 3 separate curses on me so far)

What I have to work with (non combat)

1. My familiar

2. Invisibility

3. Dimension door

4. Leomunds tiny hut

5. Augury

6. The paladin, rogue, NPC wizard, and cleric trying to seige the castle if I'm not out in 5 hours.

7. The Revenant trying to protect me becuase he wants to be the one to personally kill me.

Wish me luck!

Haldir
2017-02-24, 10:36 AM
D-door lets you bring a friend, friend. I'd consider the Cleric or the Rogue. Stealth rolls are your friend here.

solidork
2017-02-24, 10:40 AM
D-door lets you bring a friend, friend. I'd consider the Cleric or the Rogue. Stealth rolls are your friend here.

Yeah, but then he can't bring the werewolf back out.

BTW - this is exactly why dimension door is my favorite spell.

Personally? It's way too risky to try for any secondary objectives that could literally be anywhere. I'd grab the werewolf and then run.

Trum4n1208
2017-02-24, 10:41 AM

The problem there is the extraction though. I don't have the book in front of me, but if you can only take yourself and one other creature, what do you do once you reach the werewolf?

Haldir
2017-02-24, 11:16 AM
The problem there is the extraction though. I don't have the book in front of me, but if you can only take yourself and one other creature, what do you do once you reach the werewolf?

I'm guessing OP is a wizard, so it's a simple matter of preparing enough D-Doors, using Tiny Hunt to recover a D-Door via a rest, or having your ally wait for recovery. I'd say the waiting for extra spells is a worthy risk to have a little backup.

Squiddish
2017-02-24, 12:32 PM
I'm guessing OP is a wizard, so it's a simple matter of preparing enough D-Doors, using Tiny Hunt to recover a D-Door via a rest, or having your ally wait for recovery. I'd say the waiting for extra spells is a worthy risk to have a little backup.

He's a warlock, actually.

NecroDancer
2017-02-24, 12:37 PM

Although I'm a warlock the plan still works, however I don't want to leave an ally in the castle for an hour

Temperjoke
2017-02-24, 12:40 PM
What form is your familiar? Can it scout through first so that you know where you are going? What type of warlock are you?

Squiddish
2017-02-24, 12:41 PM
What form is your familiar? Can it scout through first so that you know where you are going? What type of warlock are you?

Fiend pact, sentient raven familiar, pact of the tome.

Temperjoke
2017-02-24, 12:48 PM
Fiend pact, sentient raven familiar, pact of the tome.

Well, within 100 feet, you can telepathically see through the familiar's eyes instead of your own, so sending it ahead to scout for you before you enter is probably a good idea. Also, you really don't want to spend time in the castle if you don't have to. I'd make your only job the rescue, especially since you'll be on your own in there.

NecroDancer
2017-02-24, 12:49 PM
Well, within 100 feet, you can telepathically see through the familiar's eyes instead of your own, so sending it ahead to scout for you before you enter is probably a good idea. Also, you really don't want to spend time in the castle if you don't have to. I'd make your only job the rescue, especially since you'll be on your own in there.

That could work but I'd be blind while using Raven vision

Temperjoke
2017-02-24, 12:55 PM
That could work but I'd be blind while using Raven vision

Yeah, but it doesn't require concentration, so if you're invisible, you just hide in an alcove out of the way while you are scouting.

NecroDancer
2017-02-24, 12:58 PM
Sweet!

Also would mission impossible music be appropriate?

Temperjoke
2017-02-24, 01:05 PM
Sweet!

A trifle cliche, but not inappropriate xD

*whispers* 50g says he dies before finding the prisoner

JobsforFun
2017-02-24, 01:06 PM
Sweet!

I'd say so in this situation...

Galadhrim
2017-02-24, 01:18 PM
Could you have the paladin bless you and the cleric cast protection from good and evil or shield of faith?

War_lord
2017-02-24, 01:31 PM
I'd recommend just grabbing the werewolf and getting out. If Strahd figures out you're there, you're boned, if you leave anything there that can be used to Scry on you, you're boned. Of all the places in the infinite multiverse of D&D you could rob, Castle Ravenloft is just behind the Lady of Pain's Mazes on the bad idea scale.

Squiddish
2017-02-24, 02:05 PM
*whispers* 50g says he dies before finding the prisoner

That would be difficult, since we're using scrying...

Temperjoke
2017-02-24, 03:40 PM
That would be difficult, since we're using scrying...

I mean physically find him, since scrying doesn't show you the route to him.

EDIT: Actually, if you're using scrying to see the spot, then using dimension door to get in, then dimension door to get out, I don't see why you are worried about getting caught. Dimension Door allows you to go to someplace you can visualize, unless something is in the spot you are trying to appear.

GPS
2017-02-24, 04:08 PM
I mean physically find him, since scrying doesn't show you the route to him.

EDIT: Actually, if you're using scrying to see the spot, then using dimension door to get in, then dimension door to get out, I don't see why you are worried about getting caught. Dimension Door allows you to go to someplace you can visualize, unless something is in the spot you are trying to appear.

We're using Locate Creature to find the werewolf in the castle, I believe Necro meant to say we were being scryed on by Strahd. Squidd is using clairvoyance to scope out the room when we find said werewolf, but I think Necro wanted to do a bit of wandering.

Sigreid
2017-02-24, 05:17 PM
The only problem is due to the nature of this plan I'll be on my own in the castle. So far all I know of the castle is that there is a electric suit of sentient power armor, a evil assassin elf, a Revenant hunting me down and the vampire Strahd defending it.

So, what's your next character going to be? :smallbiggrin:

Bahamut7
2017-02-24, 05:51 PM
Better idea, instead of the Mission Impossible route...try an Ocean's route. In this case it sounds a bit like Ocean's 12, but if done right you could get your puppy and the loot too.

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-24, 06:02 PM
Quick question, what is the rest of the party doing while this is happening? Is there anything they can contribute in terms of a distraction or keeping tabs to help?

GPS
2017-02-24, 09:02 PM
Quick question, what is the rest of the party doing while this is happening? Is there anything they can contribute in terms of a distraction or keeping tabs to help?

We'll mainly be waiting outside, where Squidd will be surveying the scene with clairvoyance. If something goes wrong, he's going to break some walls and hopefully get the rest of us to Necro in time. We can't really do distraction, since we're not going to be in the castle unless we know something goes wrong, but we do have a raven we can send in for that.

Edit: Squidd has informed me that I was the one who was supposed to prepare clairvoyance, but I goofed and somehow thought a 7th level paladin had a 3rd level spell. My bad, that part of the plan is getting thrown out. We now kind of have no real method of communication with Necro inside the castle (no messaging cantrip), so we may opt for a time based solution or something of the like. Does anyone have any suggestions for other solutions?

NecroDancer
2017-02-24, 11:51 PM
So, what's your next character going to be? :smallbiggrin:

Half-Orc glamour bard, Izzy Orcbourne