PDA

View Full Version : Warlord Martial Archetype

FishBot
2017-02-24, 06:28 PM
I've only ever played 5e, but my friend who started on 4e goes on and on about how awesome the warlord was. Now that his fighter's hit 3rd level I decided to make a Martial archetype based on the warlord as a gift to him. So... here ya go.

Commander's Tactics
At 3rd level you can use the following features:
* Maneuver: As a bonus action you can have an ally that can hear you move up to half their speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
* Order: As a bonus action you can have an ally that can hear you use their reaction to make an attack.
* Bolster: As a bonus action an ally that can hear you regains 1d4 + your charisma modifier hit points.
You can use this feature a number of times each short rest equal to your charisma modifier.

Inspiring Presence
At 7th level while you are conscious allies within 10 feet of you add your charisma modifier to their damage rolls and saving throws. At 18th level the range of this effect increases to 30 feet.

Battlecry
At 10th level when you roll initiative and are not surprised you can use your reaction to let all allies that can hear you add your charisma modifier + 1/3 your fighter level to their initiative.

Strong Will
At 15th level you are immune to being charmed or frightened.

Perfect Commander
At 18th level you can use your maneuver and order commanders tactics an unlimited amount of times.

Amnoriath
2017-02-24, 07:34 PM
I've only ever played 5e, but my friend who started on 4e goes on and on about how awesome the warlord was. Now that his fighter's hit 3rd level I decided to make a Martial archetype based on the warlord as a gift to him. So... here ya go.

Commander's Tactics
At 3rd level you can use the following features:
* Maneuver: As a bonus action you can have an ally that can hear you move up to half their speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
* Order: As a bonus action you can have an ally that can hear you use their reaction to make an attack.
* Bolster: As a bonus action an ally that can hear you regains 1d4 + your charisma modifier hit points.
You can use this feature a number of times each short rest equal to your charisma modifier.

Inspiring Presence
At 7th level while you are conscious allies within 10 feet of you add your charisma modifier to their damage rolls and saving throws. At 18th level the range of this effect increases to 30 feet.

Battlecry
At 10th level when you roll initiative and are not surprised you can use your reaction to let all allies that can hear you add your charisma modifier + 1/3 your fighter level to their initiative.

Strong Will
At 15th level you are immune to being charmed or frightened.

Perfect Commander
At 18th level you can use your maneuver and order commanders tactics an unlimited amount of times.

Simple and easy to understand but there are couple of issues and areas to improve.
1. Not much to say on Commander's tactics other than what I will say for Perfect Commander.
2. Aura of Protection is incredibly strong your Inspiring Presence is a lot better cut out the damage boost it should be fine.
3. Battlecry is quite weak while getting high on the initiative sounds good it doesn't particularly make all that much sense for the title. Perhaps bringing in your damage boost until the end of your next turn here along with removing the surprised condition when used would be better.
4. Strong Will is quite strong but a Paladin has it already as well doing it to others so again we are good here for simplicity.
5. Great capstone but if Bolster had temporary hit points instead you could fold that in as well.
6. The only thing that I wish this had was some utility. It is important to have to give dimension to your sub-class as not only can battle focused ideas could bring imbalance they also have the tendency to shove your character out of the picture in the other two pillars of the game. Though if you would do so you may have cut down either Inspiring Presence or Strong Will(this one will be easier),

FishBot
2017-02-24, 08:00 PM
Simple and easy to understand but there are couple of issues and areas to improve.
1. Not much to say on Commander's tactics other than what I will say for Perfect Commander.
2. Aura of Protection is incredibly strong your Inspiring Presence is a lot better cut out the damage boost it should be fine.
3. Battlecry is quite weak while getting high on the initiative sounds good it doesn't particularly make all that much sense for the title. Perhaps bringing in your damage boost until the end of your next turn here along with removing the surprised condition when used would be better.
4. Strong Will is quite strong but a Paladin has it already as well doing it to others so again we are good here for simplicity.
5. Great capstone but if Bolster had temporary hit points instead you could fold that in as well.
6. The only thing that I wish this had was some utility. It is important to have to give dimension to your sub-class as not only can battle focused ideas could bring imbalance they also have the tendency to shove your character out of the picture in the other two pillars of the game. Though if you would do so you may have cut down either Inspiring Presence or Strong Will(this one will be easier),

Temp Hp for rally is a great idea, thanks!

For inspiring presence I'd argue that oath breakers get the same thing at 7th level but I might take it away for the battle cry redo

For battlecry I might let all allies add your cha mod to their damage or some other damage boost which let's you open every encounter strong

For a social aspect I might do advantage on persuasion & intimidation checks to command people, or I could do a heal over a short rest

Arkhios
2017-02-25, 06:51 AM
I'm just going to shamelessly advertise my own homebrew. Check out my signature below! ;)