PDA

View Full Version : Introducing My Girlfriend to D&D

DixieDevil
2017-02-24, 07:26 PM
So, my girlfriend really wants to play D&D. I've not played in years, but I'm gonna run a 1-on-1 sandbox campaign for her to introduce her.

I was wondering if y'all had any tips for introducing her to it. She has no gaming experience at all, but she likes to write and likes fantasy.

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-24, 07:30 PM
1) Seems like she is a creative type! Collaborate with her on the setting, perhaps have her detail out her home tribe/city/nation and go from there. Islands work well to introduce things slowly in my opinion.

2) Give her a companion. If needed, make them a level or two lower, but I think making it a support character of the same level is fine. This will give you someone to talk to her and give IC advice.

3) Consider gestalt rules if applicable, so she can handle more on her own. (For the companion, just stack two support classes so it doesn't die immediately)

4) Got minis? Working with her on drawing her character/getting a mini/or even picking out a portrait is how I hook new people in. I heard a story of a guy doing the same thing you are doing after getting a mini for her character (painted to her tastes) and putting it into a folder of her favorite color using a nicely laid out character sheet. Effort can't hurt.

DixieDevil
2017-02-24, 07:38 PM
Her drawing out her character should help her out a lot with getting into character. She loves to draw (and is actually pretty great at it)

Mastikator
2017-02-24, 07:41 PM
Keep the stats simple, if you find yourself looking things up just hand wave it, just do what's plausible.

Ditto on giving her a companion, you could actually run a DMPC as long as your DMPC is the sidekick while you DM.

After a couple of sessions consider letting her DM for a few sessions.

Jay R
2017-02-25, 11:32 AM
Find somebody else to be the DM. Girlfriend issues and player issues don't always mix well.

Also, do not play a DMPC. The problems they sometimes cause are worse when the only other player is new to the game.

If possible, put her in a game with a few other players, so if she has no idea what to do she can be silent and listen to the other players.

DixieDevil
2017-02-25, 12:10 PM
Another DM isn't an option. Hell, I've never even got to play with another DM lol. And we dont have a group to play with.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-02-25, 12:57 PM
Unless she's specifically into the whole tactical combat aspect of D&D you might consider playing something like Dungeon World instead. It can be a little less demanding for someone new.

Beans
2017-02-25, 12:58 PM
If something ends up consistently confusing her, like how a certain roll or spell or ability works... well, one-on-one you have the benefit of being able to remind her without worrying about holding up other players. Still, it might be good to make a 3x5 notecard for those things. That could be helpful to avoid getting her bogged down in technical things so she can be more free to enjoy the creative fun.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-27, 09:25 AM
Frankly you know your girlfriend better than any of us so any advice we have will be generic at best. Treat her like you would anyone entirely new to gaming.

Help them make their character, make sure they will be able to contribute to the group, and explain a lot of the things that the character will be able to do. If they roll a wizard, explain how spells work and which ones they will have available. If they make a fighter, be sure to take them through how to attack and how to add modifiers. If they play a bard, explain how the spells and bardic music work. If they roll a monk, kindly tell them that their application will be considered and you will TOTALLY keep in touch with that character, then never call it and have them roll up a different class. If they ask to roll a Samurai from Complete Warrior, consider breaking up.

They sound creative so I don't think that they will have a problem making an interesting character, but just make sure they know what they need to know to be helpful to the party. Emphasize that D&D is co-operative so they should be interested in making a character who can work with a group.

Beans
2017-02-27, 09:37 AM
Did we establish what edition is being played, actually?

DixieDevil
2017-02-27, 12:24 PM
Fifth edition

Lentrax
2017-02-27, 01:02 PM
There was a wonderful thread on the old wizards board. And, as it turns out, even if a message board gets shut folldown, there is a way to find the old thread.

I present: Oakspar77777's Lessons from DM'ing with my girlfriend. (http://home.nerbonne.org/dnd/oaksparthread-C.xhtml)

DixieDevil
2017-02-28, 11:24 PM
So she's read through a bit of the PHP. She's decided to play a Wood Elf Druid.

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-28, 11:44 PM

Good! Does she have a backstory or image for this wood elf druid? Perhaps ask her to draw things of her elfy religion or allies amongst the druids.

junlogji
2017-02-28, 11:53 PM

hm.....my own tidbit is that would be the hardest class for a new player to use

it is ultimately up to you and her however