PDA

View Full Version : Jovian: A Giant-kin like Goliaths and Firbolg [PEACH]

bunnynoah
2017-02-25, 12:34 AM
Good Evening lords and ladies, dwarves and giants alike!
I've decided to re-do my Jovian race to the point that they're much more like the goliaths and firbolg. Essentially, I see them as this:Goliaths : human :: Firblog : elves :: Jovians : Orcs. Now that that's settled, here is my race!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/28/29/bc/2829bcafe48153375882f608399e2984.jpg
Jovians are giant-kin similar to goliaths and firbolg. Big and mighty, Jovians make for impressive warlords or generals of great armies, as they’re born leaders. Jovians resemble half orcs in appearance, except they have rust colored skin with wild manes of black and dark eyes. They have softer faces than orcs, but have tusks just like them.

Jovians sometimes send a single one of their kind out due to banishment or as a sort of rite of passage. Most have the uncanny ability to tell fantastic stories of the past or even myths of the future (though just for fun). Jovians love good company, especially ones of other races. Many join human societies, becoming powerful warriors on the battlefield and strong orators at negotiation tables. They often return to their tribes with great tales of valour and the outside world.

[6.5] Total Score.
[3] Ability Score Increase. Your Strength, Constitution, and Charisma scores all increased by 1.
Age. You age relatively quickly to humans, reaching adulthood around 17, living just over 60 years.
Alignment. Jovians value neutrality and just as many are lawful as chaotic. If not either, they’re good.
Size. Jovians are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 260 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
[1] Brutal Assault. You can turn any one attack that hits into a critical hit. You may use this trait normally once per long rest, but additional uses after that immediately incur one level of exhaustion.
[.5] Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
[1] Natural Leader. You are proficient in Persuasion and Performance.
[1] Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant

Let me know what you think! (It's probably OP, but that is fixable)
Edit: I removed Toughness and replaced it with Darkvision and Born Leader.

bunnynoah
2017-02-25, 10:16 AM
Any comments whatsoever?

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-25, 01:02 PM
Patience!

As a race, they look pretty monodimensional. Admittedly, the base race(orcs) were too (that's just 5e statblocks), but this race is pretty bad about it- even half-orcs get Intimidation proficiency and Darkvision. Powerful Build is OK, but really, really situational- 30 lbs per point of Strength is a lot, but not a significant increase. Goliaths got Athletics proficiency and acclimation to heights, making them clear mountain-dwellers who climbed around rather than creating paths for travel.

Between Toughness (Almost, but not quite, +2 Con), Brutal Assault, and a +2 Str increase, this is pretty close to the best numbers-based combat race I've seen, especially for barbarians or great weapon users. Brutal Assault can practically be used twice per day, which can be a whole lot of damage.

Verdict: Drop Toughness for something more interesting. Race needs some kind of fluff to make it distinctive- right now, it mostly looks like a reskinned Goliath which attacks instead of defending, but less interesting.

bunnynoah
2017-02-25, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've change it accordingly. I like the idea of gregarious and cultured tribals, like the Aztec or the Maya.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-26, 12:24 PM
i think this is well built and my friend who loves being a goliath saw this and practicaly malegasamed just he loves what you built.

bunnynoah
2017-02-26, 04:42 PM
A malegasamed? I didn't know I had such power to do that...
But seriously, thanks for the support!

Virdex_
2017-10-04, 02:08 PM
Bro, I registered just because I really liked this and I was disappointed at it not getting enough love. I really find Firbolgs interesting and this is very cool, too. I like Giantkin races that are not barbarian/fighter-themed, but are instead based on some virtue or the other.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-04, 08:35 PM
Thread necromancy doot doot dooooooo