PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Constrict and Grab?

SangoProduction
2017-02-25, 08:23 AM
So, the Grab ability lets you make a grapple check on an attack you hit. Let's say you hit 4 attacks. You get a grapple check on all of them, yes?

Let's say you also have constrict for Xd6 damage. If you hit all the attacks, and succeeded on all the grapple checks, would you be able to constrict for (4*X)d6, right then and there?

upho
2017-02-25, 10:02 AM
IIRC, the key parts of the rules are the same in 3.5 as in PF when it comes to this, and in PF I do know that as soon as you've successfully grabbed the enemy, you're grappling, which typically means you cannot make any remaining attacks. So in order to do this, you'd need to:

attack 1 ➞ grab ➞ constrict ➞ release ➞ attack 2 ➞ grab ➞ constrict ➞ release ➞ a s o

In which case, yes, you'd be dealing constrict damage up to four times, effectively netting (4*X)d6 constrict damage, albeit not technically rolled together at once.

But since you shouldn't trust my memory, please check the 3.5 grapple rules if there's anything which prevents the above.

J-H
2017-02-25, 10:02 AM
Once you successfully hit and initiate a grapple, you spend the rest of the ground grappling, not continuing your full attack.

SangoProduction
2017-02-25, 10:11 AM
OK, you can't continue full attacking if you are grappling. But, Grab allows you to hold on with a body part for a -20 to grapple. If you manage to do that, would you then be able to full-attack constrict?

KillianHawkeye
2017-02-25, 12:26 PM
OK, you can't continue full attacking if you are grappling. But, Grab allows you to hold on with a body part for a -20 to grapple. If you manage to do that, would you then be able to full-attack constrict?

You can attack and grab other creatures, or you can do simple attacks against the creature you're holding, but you can't use Improved Grab against them because you're already grappling them.

The Viscount
2017-02-25, 03:46 PM

You can no longer constrict them because you aren't considered grappled.

SangoProduction
2017-02-25, 05:05 PM
You can no longer constrict them because you aren't considered grappled.

What's that got to do with anything? (actually asking, not being rude) Me not being grappled doesn't stop grapple checks.

The Viscount
2017-02-26, 02:36 PM
Constrict is an action that requires you to be grappling. In order to make more grapple checks, you would have to regrapple them, still at the large penalty. If you want to constrict, you have to actually count as grappling.

SangoProduction
2017-02-26, 05:48 PM
Constrict is an action that requires you to be grappling. In order to make more grapple checks, you would have to regrapple them, still at the large penalty. If you want to constrict, you have to actually count as grappling.

I am not following. And oops: didn't tag this as pathfinder. My bad. Constrict says nothing about you needing to be in a grapple. It just does damage on a successful grapple check.

You can attack and grab other creatures, or you can do simple attacks against the creature you're holding, but you can't use Improved Grab against them because you're already grappling them.

Yeah, that makes sense.

upho
2017-02-26, 06:25 PM
I am not following. And oops: didn't tag this as pathfinder. My bad. Constrict says nothing about you needing to be in a grapple. It just does damage on a successful grapple check.Since it's PF you're asking about, what I wrote in my previous post is indeed the only way to do multiple grabs per round (excluding tetori monk):

attack 1 ➞ grab ➞ constrict ➞ release ➞ attack 2 ➞ grab ➞ constrict ➞ release ➞ a s o

You can only do this during your own turn, not outside it with AoOs or similar, because ending a grapple you've initiated is a free action (and free actions generally cannot be taken outside of your own turn).

You can attack and grab other creatures, or you can do simple attacks against the creature you're holding, but you can't use Improved Grab against them because you're already grappling them.Note that this is not the case in PF, where there's also no such thing as Improved Grab.

Instead of simple attacks while grappling, you can do damage equal to an attack using a one-handed or light weapon (so includes UAS or natural attack) when you make a successful grapple check to maintain a grapple. This is in addition to any constrict damage. But note also that if you have four attacks with grab, you're going to deal a lot more damage by full attacking and releasing as described than by making maintain checks gained through grapple feats.

KillianHawkeye
2017-02-26, 09:54 PM
Sorry, my default assumption on these boards is 3.5 unless otherwise specified (or if I can tell via context that it's another game or edition). I don't know a lot about the minute differences between D&D and Pathfinder yet.

upho
2017-02-27, 05:08 AM
You've done nothing wrong! I only wanted to point out that since SangoProduction forgot to mention that he's talking about PF, many little details in the replies won't be applicable. Unless otherwise noted, I also think it's best to assume 3.5 (which is why I was a lot less certain in my first post).

And yeah, the especially the myriad of small changes from 3.5 that are sprinkled throughout PF do take quite a while to notice, and more to remember. And the grapple, grab and constrict rules contain a lot of those little details, on top of only being somewhat less fuzzy and complicated than in 3.5. (My own hard drive was obviously full when I started playing PF, because I've forgotten a lot of these details from 3.5...)

CasualViking
2017-02-27, 06:12 AM
Attack - grab- constrict - release, repeat *3, is absolutely legit. Grappling doesn't prevent you from continuing a full attack.

HOWEVER, going "**** you no" is not even a house rule. Personally, I don't allow grapple checks from grab after you've already passed one this turn.