PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting the Campaign Started

DixieDevil
2017-02-25, 11:02 AM
Okay, so I'm planning a 1-on-1 campaign for someone who's never played before.

Now, I generally run a Sandbox style game where I just litter a bunch of books throughout the setting and let the PC's do their thing. It just dawned on me that that may not work in this instance. I fear that without a little more framework, she might be stuck with a "what do I do" feeling.

Do y'all have any suggestions?

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-25, 11:22 AM
A companion of a support class. Outright ask her if she wants one, and is an easy way to give some IC advice. Else...If she is a creative type, ask her about the character's backstory and try to use elements.

If all else fails, have a thief steal something from her. Nothing motivates players quite like that. She'll be chasing the culprit from one end of the world to the other. A rival might also work, with a basic plan of how to make a showdown.

Jay R
2017-02-25, 06:58 PM
I recommend that she have a couple of followers or hirelings. Ideally fighters or the like. One of them should be an older, experienced person who can give advice when asked.

DixieDevil
2017-02-25, 07:19 PM
I suppose what I'm really asking is how to actually get her started. I'm looking for something other than my usual "you're in a tavern"

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-25, 07:25 PM
Get a backstory, or failing that, have a general plot. Players new and old both love treasure, so saying she's at some ruins might be a jarring, but effective way to start.

Else, have the tavern be attacked by zombies. Always a classic.

2D8HP
2017-02-25, 09:40 PM
.....I'm looking for something other than my usual "you're in a tavern"

I'm partial to starting an adventure in the Dungeon with a goal of getting back to the tavern.

Admittedly we have pipe tunnels leading from the boiler room were my shop is, and I refer to it as "The Dungeon", and I do have a goal of getting a corned beef sandwich and a pint of Downtown Brown at Brennan's IRL!

Jay R
2017-02-25, 10:08 PM
I suppose what I'm really asking is how to actually get her started. I'm looking for something other than my usual "you're in a tavern"

Why? Cliches are only a problem for people who have seen them before. For a new D&D player, it doesn't matter how often it's been done.

DixieDevil
2017-02-26, 02:04 AM
I'm not afraid of the cliche, I usually use it just for that reason. I was meaning ideas with a bit more of a hook to get the game rolling quicker. Some slightly more "railroading" lol

Klara Meison
2017-02-26, 06:49 AM
I'd start by asking what your girlfriend thinks dnd is about, since that would radically change how you should structure your game. Is she more into roleplaying and conversations? More into tactical turn-based combat? More into exploring an interesting story? More into coming up with crazy combinations of abilities to achieve the most optimal effect? More into exploration and such? Is she quite indifferent to dnd in general, but wants to spend more time with you and thinks this could be an interesting passtime?

Coming up with a good story hook isn't all that hard, all things considered, but it has to be tailored to the theme of the game, which is determined by what your girlfriend wants to do.

Jay R
2017-02-26, 10:26 AM
I'm not afraid of the cliche, I usually use it just for that reason. I was meaning ideas with a bit more of a hook to get the game rolling quicker. Some slightly more "railroading" lol

Put somebody in danger. Orcs are raiding the village, or you hear a scream from a burning building or she just feels a tug on her purse.

Freed
2017-02-26, 03:35 PM
Open-ended worlds aren't great for new players. Once I had a player that literally did nothing to investigate the plot hooks. It might be best to get another player (or if you can't, an NPC) for the player to follow around.

DixieDevil
2017-02-26, 07:11 PM
That's my issue. I've always run open ended, sandboxy campaigns. But I feel that's not gonna work for this one.