PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shapeshift variant class

togapika
2007-07-24, 12:49 AM
I am looking for a variant druid class based off the shapeshift PHBII variant, that relies on that and has no spellcasting whatsoever.
It would also be cool if the abilities weren't just "duplicate this spell effect" etc.
Anyone have anything made or want to work something up?

To clarify: I am looking for a 20 level base class, not a prestige class. Just using the shapeshift variant for a regular druid requires making the choice in each fight between shifting or casting spells, and I don't want that to ever be a problem as I want shifting to be the focus of this class.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-24, 02:18 AM
My suggestion: Use the "No-Spellcasting" Ranger Variant from Complete Warrior. Then use the Wild Shape variant Ranger presented in the SRD. Then ask your DM to use Shapeshift instead of Wild Shape by giving up your Animal Companion. There we go.

Triaxx
2007-07-24, 06:05 AM
Fighter with a ring of Polymorphing?

Do you want a great variety of forms, or just one strong one?

togapika
2007-07-24, 11:07 AM
A few forms, (Shapeshift has like 5 total) but making them very strong to make up for the lack of spellcasting.

Triaxx
2007-07-24, 07:04 PM
Give me a bit, and I'll throw you one together.

Triaxx
2007-07-25, 11:23 AM
Here, try this one on for size. Seems a touch strong to me, but I might be a bit off-kilter.

Shape Shifter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+1|
+0|
+0|Shapeshift 1/day, Shift form, Animal Language

2nd|
+2|
+2|
+0|
+0|Track, Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|HD expand

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Natural Armor

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Shapeshift 2/day, Shift form, Animal Language

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+1|
+1|HD expand, Bonus feat

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Tireless

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Natural Armor

9th|
+9/+4|
+7|
+2|
+2|HD expand, Magic Fang

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+2|
+2|Shapeshift 3/day, Shift form, Animal Language, Bonus feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+8|
+3|
+3|War Call 1/day

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+3|
+3|HD expand, Natural Armor

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+9|
+3|
+3|Scent

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+10|
+4|
+4|Shapeshift 4/day, Shift form, Animal Language, HD expand

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+4|
+4|Natural Armor

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+11|
+4|
+4|War Call 2/day

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+4|
+4|HD expand, Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+12|
+5|
+5|Greater Magic Fang

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+13|
+5|
+5|Shapeshift 5/day, Shift form, Animal Language, Natural Armor[/table]

Shapeshift: The shapeshifter has spent time studying and learning the powers of certain types of animals, and may change into them following a will save (DC10+HD+Wisdom Modifier-CL).The shapeshifter may remain indefinitely in his new form, but every four hours must make an additional will save, or go berserk for 1d6+1 rounds. The later will saves are (DC10+HD+Wisdom Modifier-[CL-1/four hours shifted]). The Shapeshifter gains 1 form change perday per five levels.

Shift Form: To change his form, the Shapeshifter must spend 1d4+1 weeks studying each form, both live and dead, knowing how it moves, and where the internal organs are arranged, so that he can duplicate it during the his shift. A shifter can learn a new form once every five levels.

In addition the form will increase in power proportionately to the HD, such as if the shifter learns the Bear, and gains sufficient HD, the form can progress to Dire Bear

Animal Language: Among other things learned while studying and perfecting the forms, are the abilities to talk to animals of that species, even while human. Languages are common to all variants, so learning Bear as a Black Bear is just as effective when talking to a Polar bear. A new language is learned with each form, one every five levels.

Track: At 2nd level, the Shifter has learned to track as an animal, and gains the benefits of the Track feat.

Bonus feat: At level 2, and every fourth level thereafter the shifter may take bonus feats from either the Fighter Bonus list, the Druid Bonus list, or the Mage Bonus list (for arcane variants.) The list is chosen at 2nd level, and can't be changed.

HD Expansion: At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, the maximum HD of monster the shifter can change into is increased to Character level plus level of expansion. (4HD at level three, 8HD at level six,etc.)

Natural armor: At fourth level and every four levels thereafter, the Shift gains a +1 to his natural armor bonus while in animal form.

Tireless: At 7th level, the Shifter is no longer fatigued, thanks to his constant shifting in forms.

Magic Fang: At level 9, the Shifter's Animal forms all gain the benefits of Magic Fang, for as long as he maintains the form.

War Call: At level 11, the Shifter's animal forms can once per day give voice, to a powerful cry of battle, giving it a +2 to intimidate checks against creatures smaller than itself, and a +2 morale bonus when attacking larger creatures, either effect lasts for one hour. At level seventeen, an additional use perday is gained,

Scent: At level 13, your sense of smell is refined, and you gain the benefits of the scent ability.

Greater Magic Fang: At level 19, the animal forms of the Shapeshifter all gain the benefits of Greater Magic Fang, for as long as the form is maintained.

togapika
2007-07-25, 05:39 PM
Well, mostly the stats and HP of the character don't change when shifting although they get a STR and NA bonus as well as a natural attack or two and some extra benefits, but the point of shapeshift, is that no matter what your form looks like, it gives you the same benefits as that same form of any other druid.
Also you can change as often as you want for as long as you want with no saves.
The list of forms is something like this
1 Speedy minor combat form
4-5? Flight Form
? Major combat form
12? Plant form
15? Elemental form

Triaxx
2007-07-25, 07:20 PM
Right, and all that might be fine, if this were based on a standard D&D Druid. But it's actually based off David Eddings sorceror's, who can shapeshift, but begin to take on characteristics of the shapeshifts.

But the whole purpose of this class is around turning into these animal forms, and wiping the floor with the bloody corpses of your opponents. If you want those to be the forms, then you need only catch a live one, and a dead one. On the other hand you could also turn into a troll, or other creature. As long as it lands within your HD sphere.