PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 + Pathfinder] Large Playable Races?

Palanan
2017-02-25, 01:00 PM
Is there a list of Large playable races in Pathfinder and/or 3.5? Lacking that, is there a list of Large races which could be adapted for PCs? I’m aware of wemics and centaurs, but would prefer humanoids if possible.

Also, not looking for methods or magic items to make a Medium race larger—I’m looking for races which are Large to begin with. The Loxo from Shining South is a good example, as well as the Trox from Bestiary 4. I’m open to any official content from Paizo or WotC, including Dragon material. Good Large races seem to be hard to find, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

LA and racial HD won’t be a problem, so feel free to recommend those races as well.

Dagroth
2017-02-25, 02:24 PM
Is there a list of Large playable races in Pathfinder and/or 3.5? Lacking that, is there a list of Large races which could be adapted for PCs? I’m aware of wemics and centaurs, but would prefer humanoids if possible.

Also, not looking for methods or magic items to make a Medium race larger—I’m looking for races which are Large to begin with. The Loxo from Shining South is a good example, as well as the Trox from Bestiary 4. I’m open to any official content from Paizo or WotC, including Dragon material. Good Large races seem to be hard to find, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) is a standard.

Some people go Half Minotaur with +1 LA, but that's so obviously broken I ignore it.

Anything else is going to have a mess of racial hit dice.

Palanan
2017-02-25, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dagroth
Half-Ogre (Races of Destiny) is a standard…. Anything else is going to have a mess of racial hit dice.

Thanks. I’m not worried about racial HD, so feel free to hit me with those as well.

OldTrees1
2017-02-25, 03:51 PM
Do you count Mountain Raging Goliath's as a Large Playable race? They are a medium race with powerful build but the powerful build becomes literal large size during their rage.

0RHD +1LA

Malimar
2017-02-25, 04:20 PM
LA and racial HD won’t be a problem, so feel free to recommend those races as well.

I mean... like... literally any Large creature with an intelligence score? If you ignore their LA and RHD, any given Large creature is pretty much anywhere from good to amazing? LA and RHD are pretty much the only things that make any Large creature "bad"? Pit fiends, balors, and solars are Large?

Elricaltovilla
2017-02-25, 04:30 PM
In Pathfinder there is the Gamla race (and subraces) from Akashic Mysteries. You get your choice of large sized Camel, Rhino or Elephant people.

stack
2017-02-25, 04:40 PM
In Pathfinder there is the Gamla race (and subraces) from Akashic Mysteries. You get your choice of large sized Camel, Rhino or Elephant people.

Paizo or WotC only. I was about to post the gamla when the thread first went up but caught that requirement at the last second.

Palanan
2017-02-25, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
In Pathfinder there is the Gamla race (and subraces) from Akashic Mysteries.

Originally Posted by stack
I was about to post the gamla when the thread first went up but caught that requirement at the last second.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

I usually don’t use third-party material, but given how difficult this seems to be, I’d be willing to look at Large races from DSP or similar sources.

Elricaltovilla
2017-02-25, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

I usually don’t use third-party material, but given how difficult this seems to be, I’d be willing to look at Large races from DSP or similar sources.

There's also the not-quite RAI use of the rules for non-human tieflings. Basically, you can make a tiefling or aasimar of any race and it "technically" becomes legal and playable. It'll only have tiefling stat bonuses, but it'll be playable by RAW no matter how big or small it is.

Dagroth
2017-02-25, 08:08 PM
Centaur: 4 RHD, +2 LA.
Couatl: 9 RHD, +7 LA.
Hezrou: 10 RHD, +9 LA.
Vrock: 10 RHD, +8 LA.
Drider: 6 RHD, +4 LA.
Ettin: 10 RHD, +5 LA.
Djinni: 7 RHD, +6 LA.
Fire Giant: 15 RHD, +4 LA.
Frost Giant: 14 RHD, +4 LA.
Hill Giant: 12 RHD, +4 LA.
Stone Giant: 14 RHD, +4 LA.
Lillend: 7 RHD, +6 LA.
Minotaur: 6 RHD, +2 LA.
Ogre Magi: 5 RHD, +7 LA.
Ogre: 4 RHD, +2 LA.
Red Slaad: 7 RHD, +6 LA.
Blue Slaad: 8 RHD, +6 LA.
Green Slaad: 9 RHD, +7 LA.
Troll: 6 RHD, +5 LA.
Yuan-Ti Abomination, 9 RHD, +7 LA.

And that's MM1.

Sayt
2017-02-25, 08:20 PM
Pathfinder also has the Trox, which iirc, is large.

Castilonium
2017-02-26, 02:21 AM
There's also the not-quite RAI use of the rules for non-human tieflings. Basically, you can make a tiefling or aasimar of any race and it "technically" becomes legal and playable. It'll only have tiefling stat bonuses, but it'll be playable by RAW no matter how big or small it is.

Skinwalkers, too.