PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build Suggestions

Ualaa
2017-02-26, 03:43 AM
I'm running the prologue for Rise of the Drow.
It basically takes characters from 1st level to 6th level, when the main book starts.
The characters are currently 5th level, and are attempting to rescue captured villagers.

We're using a lockout system, where your previous three characters aren't available.

My player in question wants to be a melee.
He doesn't like that two of the players have basically copied the build of a third player, so three of them are small variations on the same build.
They're all basically, halflings with the sniper racial trait, spheres of power with shapeshift into air elemental, illusion - improved invisibility equivalent, with destruction range-touch nukes or fireball like aoe.
He might have considered such a build, but not with half of the party all doing that already.

For the lockout, we are using Core Rulebook races only, but with racial traits from advanced race guide.
And he cannot be an Elf, Gnome or Half-Orc.
So he will be one of Dwarf, Half-Elf, Halfling, or Human.

He cannot be a Warder, Warlord or Zealot, or any archetype of those classes.

A given class can have one archetype, but doesn't have to any.
Up to three classes or prestige classes can be part of a build.
Synthesist summoner is out.
We can have two summons/companions/mounts/eidolons at one time, so while Master Summoner is an option, it can never have more than two summoned things at once.

Our sources available are Paizo classes.
Dreamscarred Press - Ultimate Psionics.
Dreamscarred Press - Path of War & Path of War Expanded (but builds need to be Hero Lab legal, so most of PoW:Ex is out).
Drop Dead Studios - Spheres of Power.

With half of the party essentially going invisible, the Drow (or Vikmodere (Barbarian race... not class) mercenaries) are basically targeting the two guys that they can see.

The Drow often use their poison, so without a pretty decent Fortitude save you can fall unconscious for a minute.
And then have to make a second save or be unconscious for hours.

The player in question likes control guys.
Lots of options.
Complex classes, with lots of decisions.

He's not sure what he wants to play.
Suggestions are appreciated, as he's stumped on what to play next.

We're doing a 20-point buy.

And he'll have decent gold for his level... survival bonus and death penalty combine for 150% of expected wealth.... 10,500 x 1.5 = 15,750gp.
Up to half of that into a single piece... so one thing worth up to 7,875 and then everything else is 3,937gp 5sp or less in value.

Albertus Magus
2017-02-26, 04:28 AM
Dwarf Aegis.

If he's going to face increased attention, he needs defenses to tank said increased attention.

Aegis is a flexible tank who can adapt his defenses to many situations.

Though I'm not familiar with Path of War, iirc, there are some Customizations that offer an Aegis Maneuvers/Stances.

Alternatively, a Kineticist can be an excellent switch hitter who invites attacks via his "gather power" mechanic..however, he doesn't have too many options.

(I haven't read Psychic Anthology yet, which supposedly offers lots of options to a Kineticist)

Manyasone
2017-02-26, 09:40 AM
Dwarf Aegis.

If he's going to face increased attention, he needs defenses to tank said increased attention.

Aegis is a flexible tank who can adapt his defenses to many situations.

Though I'm not familiar with Path of War, iirc, there are some Customizations that offer an Aegis Maneuvers/Stances.

Alternatively, a Kineticist can be an excellent switch hitter who invites attacks via his "gather power" mechanic..however, he doesn't have too many options.

(I haven't read Psychic Anthology yet, which supposedly offers lots of options to a Kineticist)

Or kineticists of porphyra, excellent supplement from purple duck games

Ualaa
2017-02-26, 01:21 PM
Thank you.

I'll offer those as suggestions, to see if either interests him.

We've had several Aegis builds, predominantly as a 2H fighter with levels in Soulknife and Fighter, from a guy who used to play big dumb 2H melee guys constantly.
I know they're flexible.

No one in our group has tried the Occult classes, so being new mechanics to explore, that might interest him too.

Ecliptic
2017-02-26, 05:35 PM
PoW harbinger could fit decently well too. Plenty of control options via curses and the like.

Ualaa
2017-02-26, 06:28 PM
PoW: Expanded is a mixed bag, since our group requires material to be in Hero Lab for validity of builds and correct stacking.

Harbinger has access to the disciplines that appear in the original book, plus two of the four new disciplines from the Expanded book.

All of the feats are in, HL now.
One of the archetypes.

Dreamscarred Press isn't a big enough company to hire someone to convert it's material in HL files.
So they're gradually added as part of the community package, at an unknown pace as to when something will appear.
Still, it's very nice of Shadow Chemosh to make that available for others.