PDA

View Full Version : Any Miniature enthusiasts out there ?

Pugwampy
2017-02-26, 05:18 AM
How many do you have ?

Whats your favorite brand ?

Do you have a favorite mini ?

Can you field an army of your favorite monster ?

How do you feel about spare miniatures ?

Malimar
2017-02-26, 11:35 AM
I've got a few hundred at this point. A core of WotC, supplemented by the $70 option from the first Reaper Bones kickstarter and a bunch of rebased Mage Knight figures. (It's important to me that all my minis have the same WotC-standard sized bases, for reasons.) Plus a ton of Mage Knight figures that are multiples of ones I have rebased so I haven't bothered to rebase them and they thus dwell in a bag and don't get used.

I'm fond of Reaper Bones, because painting them is a soothing pastime even though I'm rubbish at it and lack the patience for fine detail work.

I think my favorite might be the WotC High Inquisitor (http://www.tritex-games.co.uk/i/300_x/products_minatures_dd~High_Inquisitor.jpg) mini.

I can field like ten or so zombies or zombie-like undead or orcs or orc-like dudes. Not exactly an army. Variety is more useful in DMing than having a ton of one kind of thing. I also have a ton of spare bases that don't have minis on them, and a variety of colored 1-inch tokens, so if I need to field an army of all the same thing I can resort to those.

I have two chests of miniatures, of which one chest is spares I hardly ever use and the other chest gets brought to games I DM. Sometimes minis get swapped from one chest to the other if I know I'm going to need e.g. a bunch of mechanical dudes who usually dwell in the spares chest.

ArgentumRegio
2017-02-26, 12:25 PM
How many do you have ?

Several plastic tubs of them - each tub is about 2' x 1' x 1.5' in size.

I love all of them but I have lots of Ral Partha.

Noooooo! I likes them ALL I do!

Yes, at least a few squads of some creatures like gobbies, but you can never have too many minis.

What is that? As above, you can never have too many minis. LOL

JNAProductions
2017-02-26, 12:29 PM
I do Warhammer 40k. So.

JAL_1138
2017-02-26, 12:33 PM
I mostly use Pathfinder Pawns (despite the relative lack of easily-available non-improvised bases) because they're relatively cheap compared to proper minis, plentiful, don't require me to paint, and pack flat so I can bring a crapload of them with me without needing a huge box. I also print out old 8-bit and 16-bit RPG sprites on the heaviest paper that'll feed through my printer properly and use binder clips stuck to appropriate-size bases with poster-putty to hold them upright.

Pugwampy
2017-02-26, 05:33 PM
I love miniatures so much i have taken more than a 100 photos of them .:smallsmile:

I have about 300 or just under 300 minis at this point in time . I have been collecting / importing 20 - 30 annually since 2008 . I buy low end / commons and sometimes its new or pre owned . 1 in 20 of my minis are rare and above 5 bucks .
I think my most expensive mini is a huge Fire Titan from the lucky packet
My one and only brand is WOTC . I am somewhat thinking of trying out PF miniatures in the future . I picked up a Whizkids drow mini and i was very very impressed .
I kinda hated the lucky packets idea and i was very happy to pay a wee bit more to choose my own .

My very first set of minis came from Aberrations pack tied up with a soft cover PHB .
I can still recall each one . Gold Samurai , Orc sergeant ,Mountain Orc , Sahuagin ranger , Emerald claw soldier , Kobold sorcerer , Gnoll and Fiendish Dire weasel . I traded the gold samurai for a barriaur ranger for my little brother who is nuts for centaurs .

I would have difficulty choosing one because i also love all of them . I have faves from certain races eg. Erberk from dwarves or Doresain the ghoul king from undead.
I suppose if i had to choose only one it would be ORC Sergeant .

When i had only a handful of minis i was more concerned about collecting core class types and my favorite PC avatar types . Girl , Orc and Wizard . Later I cared for making armies . Army being 20 plus pieces . I can field an army of zombies , orcs , goblins and dwarves . I dont only dungeon bum I enjoy making castle defence encounters so i can use my army .
I also have half an army of troglodytes , Drow and kobolds .

As for spares , well regardless of same sculpt each is differently painted which i guess is hand painted or is preloved or new so each miniature looks different to me . Minis like zombies , well sure you get a whole spectrum of zombie species but lets be honest we only care for human zombies but there is only about 4 human zombie options . So yes if i want a zombie army I need to buy spares . What about obscure races like bullywugs or harpies . 2 or 3 options thats it which sucks .

Goblins and dwarves are almost an infinite choice of sculpt options in theory you have no need for spares but well sometimes you are offered a bulk deal of sames that you cannot refuse . My last ebay supplier would never sell me a mini for a dollar but would be happy to sell me 3 sames for 3 bucks . I am not rich or picky so it was cool. I have no regrets.

For Humanoids I think WOTC is awesome but their animal and dare I say even dragon sculpts suck . My favorite and coolest dragon came from smurf company .

Jarawara
2017-02-26, 08:42 PM
How many do you have ?

I have somewhere between 5 and 8 thousand. My friend laughs at my small collection, as he easily has 3 times that much.

Grenadier. They're out of business now. I prefer the old designs.

I would say the NIC mini. So named as it was the mini used for the character NIC. And with different paintjobs, used for other characters. It was a fighter with a sword and a large flowing cape. Nothing special really, but NIC turned out to be special, so the mini earned it's reputation through lengthy use.

Probably not. Depends on what you consider an army. I would use several boxes of orcs, and then borrow the goblins and hobgoblins to act as more orcs, and could easily put 50 or so on the board. That's not an army, though.

I don't understand the question. I have lots of spares. With different paintjobs, they become different minis. We don't call them minis, we call them "leads", as the old minitures were made of lead. My friend would say he has "over 20,000 in leadstock".

I don't play D&D anymore, so I would say I have "over 5,000 in dead weight". :smallfrown:

Pugwampy
2017-02-27, 05:02 AM
I have somewhere between 5 and 8 thousand.

Wow i cannot imagine keeping track over all those .

That's not an army, though.

Not in the technical sense but up against an average of 4 - 5 players , 20 or 30 monsters of the same species is an "army" at least to me .

I don't understand the question. I have lots of spares. With different paintjobs, they become different minis.

What i meant was . Do you prefer to collect different sculpts over same sculpts .
Does budget or fewer options influence into you buying same sculpts ?

Blackhawk748
2017-02-27, 06:48 AM
I do 40k and Kings of War, so i have a lot, plus i have the Colossal Red Dragon Mini and a bunch of other WotC minis, PF Minis and a bunch of Reaper minis. So yes, i like minis :smalltongue:

Lord Torath
2017-02-27, 08:55 AM
I have a few minis my brother bought back in the early 80s. Aside from those, I use Lego minifigs for PCs and NPCs, and Battlebeasts generally for monsters. And I was an OotS Reprint Kickstarter supporter, so I've got all of Rich's OotS Style paper ones available.

Plus I play W40k, so I've got a bunch of Space Marines, Eldar, and Tyranids.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-27, 09:04 AM
i have 5 or so total three for dnd and two for heroclix. i would own more but i like having ones based on race

Âmesang
2017-02-27, 07:55 PM
How many do you have ?
I've had a Yu-Gi-Oh! tin full of prepainted plastic miniatures that I got… somewhere… also keep my dice in there, too, inside a nuts 'n bolts container I picked up at Home Depot.

Within the last year, though, I've begin collecting pewter miniatures, including a lot of females to balance out the mostly male plastic minis. I've been very lax when it comes to painting them, though. I'd say I have about a dozen or so pewter and at least twice as many plastic. I've been having a very hard time stripping the paint off of the WoW succubus, Helwen (http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147428570_A _InventoryID_E_0), though; I want to repaint her because she reminds me of a succubus I drew years ago named Ambrosia.

Reaper, if only because it appears to be the only brand the local game store carries.

Inge (http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_18_74&products_id=212), a human sorceress miniature I bought to represent my favorite character, Quintessa (https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/dnd/quintessaXZ.png). Ordered her from a British manufacture called Heresy Miniatures (http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/), and due to ordering while the shop was in the middle of moving, delaying orders, I also received Maris (http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_18_74&products_id=213) and Si'Rene (http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_18_74&products_id=211) for free (the latter of which I painted up for my dark elf antipaladin/assassin, Variolus).

That's not an actual photo of Quintessa's mini, but an Inge photo I doctored up to give me an idea of how to paint her.

Not yet, but some day, when I have enough free cash, I would like to purchase enough miniatures to accurately recreate Gary Gygax's "Dragonchess" from DRAGON #100.

Same above, basically; granted I walk across town to play at the game store so there's only so many miniatures I could ever carry. :smalltongue: To help make things easier I picked up a cheap Stack-On® compartment storage box (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stack-On-Compartment-Storage-Box/3381350) at Lowe's and attached sections of self-adhesive felt along the insides and lid to give the miniatures a comfy place to rest during travel; I even printed out a label (https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/dnd/label_miniatures_sophie.png) on sticker paper (with Reaper's mascot, Sophie), slapped on self-adhesive laminate, cut around the border and decorated the case with it.

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-27, 08:43 PM
I still have a bunch of old hero clix kicking around. Those count? All stuff from before they aďed the cards to the game.