PDA

View Full Version : Say Hello to my (not-so-little) friend

AslanCross
2007-07-24, 05:42 AM
Been designing a BBEG for my campaign, and after reading the Arms & Equipment Guide I decided to equip him with a fullblade (exotic, 2d8 damage). Now the BBEG is an Ogre Mage, so I thought that because he's one size category larger than medium, he'd get more damage out of the fullblade. Thus, for the longest time, his statblock said that his melee attack deals 3d8 damage++.

Then I realized after reading the description again that the fullblade is essentially an Ogre (Large)-sized bastard sword: Medium characters need the exotic proficiency to handle it at all and need two hands, while Large characters can use it two-handed as a martial weapon or exotic as a one-handed weapon.

So I just want to clarify: If my Ogre Mage wields the fullblade as a martial weapon, it still deals 2d8 damage, right? As such, it wouldn't be such a big deal to design a huge (Storm Giant?)-sized bastard sword that would require a Large character to have an exotic proficiency in it to use it with two hands, right?

Dhavaer
2007-07-24, 06:00 AM
Weapon sizes were different in 3.0. If you're playing in 3.5, a large Fullblade would deal 3d8 damage and be wielded (with exotic proficiency) as a two handed weapon by a large creature. A large Bastard Sword would deal 2d8 damage and be wielded (with exotic proficiency) as a one handed weapon.

AslanCross
2007-07-24, 06:01 AM
Alright, that pretty much clears it up, thanks. :D We're playing 3.5.