PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Battle Master Pugilist???

Fishyninja
2017-02-26, 02:11 PM
So.....here's the story.

My Battle Master (Lv3) has the following Stats, Equipment and Fighting Style:

Str: 17
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 11
Cha: 12
Race: Mountain Dwarf

Billhook: 1d6
Spiked Maul: 1d6 (+2 Bleed Damage per turn)
Regular Shield
Retractable shield: Folds into a handle looking object
Fighting Style: Duelling.

So on top of this he has just been given:

Spiked Gauntlets: 1d8 (No idea is bleed occurs with these)

Now I am playing the standard sword and board character but however he does not have the best of luck retaining weapons (The DM likes stripping us of gear and giving us new stuff regularly).

Anyway I was thinking of using the spiked gauntets for a while.
Now my thoughts are: If I use one, my Duelling is still effective and would there be any particular feats (apart from Tavern Brawler) I should consider if I do not ASI?

Quoxis
2017-02-27, 04:41 AM
I can't recall spiked gauntlets, are those homebrew?
If yes: check whether they are modifying the unarmed attack or count as weapons first.
If they are weapons, your "one gauntlet+one shield" tactic should definitely work. Feats to accompany that would be shield master for combat utility (and fighting like Captain America :-D) or defensive duelist.
You could also consider dual wielding them for a less "Captain America" like fighting style, in that case i'd take the dual wielder feat.
If they are modifiers for your unarmed damage and don't count as weapons, i think most tactics won't work; in that case there's still the tavern brawler feat, giving you the chance to grapple an enemy as a bonus action after you hit them with improvised weapons or an unarmed attack.

Levistej
2017-02-27, 07:32 AM
I wholeheartedly suggest that you take a look at the Pugilist class available on the dmsguild. It's nicely balanced and is one of the best homebrewed classes you'll ever lay your eyes upon.

Fishyninja
2017-02-27, 01:56 PM
I can't recall spiked gauntlets, are those homebrew?
If yes: check whether they are modifying the unarmed attack or count as weapons first.
If they are weapons, your "one gauntlet+one shield" tactic should definitely work. Feats to accompany that would be shield master for combat utility (and fighting like Captain America :-D) or defensive duelist.
You could also consider dual wielding them for a less "Captain America" like fighting style, in that case i'd take the dual wielder feat.
If they are modifiers for your unarmed damage and don't count as weapons, i think most tactics won't work; in that case there's still the tavern brawler feat, giving you the chance to grapple an enemy as a bonus action after you hit them with improvised weapons or an unarmed attack.
Yep Home brewed, like I said 1d8+STR. I am a battle master at the moment and I was thinking of taking Shield Master when I hit level 4 giving me essentially 4 Manuevers instead of three!
I started as a sword and board do I have to stick with dueling however my idea is possibly to keep it as an ace in my sleeve. The DM likes disarming people where possible so having the gauntlets is a good back up.
Also even if I did lose the two shields I have (long story) my AC at level 3 is still 15 so not too shabby.

I wholeheartedly suggest that you take a look at the Pugilist class available on the dmsguild. It's nicely balanced and is one of the best homebrewed classes you'll ever lay your eyes upon.
I did see it but didn;t look trhough not too sure about mutliclassing but I'll have a look.

Would you happen to have a link?

Fishyninja
2017-02-28, 02:36 PM
So I went and looked at the pugulist class.....It looks actually really interesting. Seems like a rehash of the Monk, sort of
again based on my stats so far:

Str: 17
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 11
Cha: 12
Level 3

I think it might be worth waiting till at least level 5 to get the Extra attack from the figther. I mean from looking at it the only way it would really work is getting to at least level 3 and picking the Sweet Science for the Croos Counter Feature.

Hower how else good I make my fighter work without multiclassing for this idea?