PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter Build

SMac8988
2017-02-26, 03:30 PM
Hello all, I am lookin to build Blood Hunter (The Matt Mercer Homebrew). And was wondering if this seemed like a good build idea, and if I was understand everything properly.

Firstly I am looking most likely Human Varient, and picking up Med Armor Master for the bump to AC.

Stats, DM is pushing for basic stat array:
STR: 10
DEX: 15 + 1 = 16
CON: 13 + 1 = 14
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

We are starting level 7, so plan as of now is 5 blood hunter, 2 ranger with next level going ranger for hunter. For Blood Hunter going Lycan pact, for the shift ability and it plays into the back story I have planned.

Two weapon fighting for my fighting style and go with two short swords as my main weapons. Unless I go wolf form then go for the claws.

My question is I am planning of not having to put much into my offense after these initial levels and focus on the rp side from here. From what I see, and want to be sure I'm right my damage in wolf mode could potentionally be:

1d6 (claw) + 1d6 (rite) + 1d6 (Hunters Mark) + Dex + 1/2 Prof. For first attack.

Then add an additional 1d8 for clossal slayer to the second and can bonus action a third attack if needed.

Any advice or people who have played this class before would be awesome!!!

Sir cryosin
2017-02-27, 08:38 AM
Hello all, I am lookin to build Blood Hunter (The Matt Mercer Homebrew). And was wondering if this seemed like a good build idea, and if I was understand everything properly.

Firstly I am looking most likely Human Varient, and picking up Med Armor Master for the bump to AC.

Stats, DM is pushing for basic stat array:
STR: 10
DEX: 15 + 1 = 16
CON: 13 + 1 = 14
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

We are starting level 7, so plan as of now is 5 blood hunter, 2 ranger with next level going ranger for hunter. For Blood Hunter going Lycan pact, for the shift ability and it plays into the back story I have planned.

Two weapon fighting for my fighting style and go with two short swords as my main weapons. Unless I go wolf form then go for the claws.

My question is I am planning of not having to put much into my offense after these initial levels and focus on the rp side from here. From what I see, and want to be sure I'm right my damage in wolf mode could potentionally be:

1d6 (claw) + 1d6 (rite) + 1d6 (Hunters Mark) + Dex + 1/2 Prof. For first attack.

Then add an additional 1d8 for clossal slayer to the second and can bonus action a third attack if needed.

Any advice or people who have played this class before would be awesome!!!

First you can't muilticlass into ranger with a 12 in wisdom. You need a 13 to muilticlass blood hunter also uses wisdom as a secondary stat. Also your con score is to low for a blood hunter. Con is there main stat. With a low con and using your crimson rite on your sword then claws your going to have no HP at all. Remember crimson rite lower you HP maximum. I would drop mid armor master and replace it with the tough feat for HP tough will counter act the scaling of your crimson's rite for one weapon. So at lv4 use your ASI to up your con score. Swap your wisdom and intelligence scores. That's about it for my advice.

Nishant
2017-02-27, 08:48 AM
I made a guide a while back if that helps any

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505473-Preparing-for-the-Hunt-A-Blood-Hunter-Handbook

SMac8988
2017-02-27, 09:28 AM
First you can't muilticlass into ranger with a 12 in wisdom. You need a 13 to muilticlass blood hunter also uses wisdom as a secondary stat. Also your con score is to low for a blood hunter. Con is there main stat. With a low con and using your crimson rite on your sword then claws your going to have no HP at all. Remember crimson rite lower you HP maximum. I would drop mid armor master and replace it with the tough feat for HP tough will counter act the scaling of your crimson's rite for one weapon. So at lv4 use your ASI to up your con score. Swap your wisdom and intelligence scores. That's about it for my advice.

Firstly, I forgot about the wis requirements to multi class so I will fix that. I was considering g the tough feat as my level 4 feat, but was 100% yet. I know con is important to them, but my idea for the character is one of high intelegence but I guess I can lose a bit to actually not die.

And I was looking over the guide after posting this, it was helpful!

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-27, 01:39 PM
Firstly, I forgot about the wis requirements to multi class so I will fix that. I was considering g the tough feat as my level 4 feat, but was 100% yet. I know con is important to them, but my idea for the character is one of high intelegence but I guess I can lose a bit to actually not die.

And I was looking over the guide after posting this, it was helpful!

I'm currently playing a Blood Hunter 8 / Ranger 1 with a Con 14 and Tough Feat. I think you'll find it works very well, especially with the Lycan Order, since you'll only need to use one Rite at a time. I went Ghostslayer and TWF style; using two Rites really burns a lot of HP. Also, if you plan to use any Blood Curses that require saving throws, you might want to raise your Wisdom at some point.

Jarlhen
2017-02-27, 02:27 PM
I've been toying a lot with a lycan build. I keep coming back to a standard GWM Profane Order being stronger and more versatile. Remember, you're going to have to use your swords even in wolf form if you want any magic out of them (as in if you find magic weapons). Which really cuts down on the coolness factor imo. The grand strength of the wolf is the resistance to damage and that you can run dex instead of str. Though a sharpshooter could run dex as well. But if you want to run lycan then your build is just fine. It's a very efficient class and will probably make the rest of the group a bit jealous.

SMac8988
2017-02-28, 10:08 PM
I've been toying a lot with a lycan build. I keep coming back to a standard GWM Profane Order being stronger and more versatile. Remember, you're going to have to use your swords even in wolf form if you want any magic out of them (as in if you find magic weapons). Which really cuts down on the coolness factor imo. The grand strength of the wolf is the resistance to damage and that you can run dex instead of str. Though a sharpshooter could run dex as well. But if you want to run lycan then your build is just fine. It's a very efficient class and will probably make the rest of the group a bit jealous.

I just enjoy the jackal and Hyde that I could do with the character. And the idea of tearing stuff up with hands!

I was thinking with rangers hunters mark and all the damage is really good in bursts and could be really fun.