PDA

View Full Version : How do i get the CR for NPC's made with the player's handbook?

JMAP94
2017-02-26, 04:09 PM
So, here's my question. I want to make some NPC's for my characters to fight using the player's handbook (create a level 3 warlock for them to fight). Is there any to calculate a CR of a "PC"?

Also, on the same topic, is there any way or any website that can calculates CR of custom characters based on stats or movesets?

PersonMan
2017-02-26, 04:55 PM
Answers here are for 3.5/PF, but I'm not sure if you're using said systems.

The general rule is that an NPC made using PC classes their CR is equal to their level or, in PF, level minus one.

Clistenes
2017-02-26, 06:02 PM
So, here's my question. I want to make some NPC's for my characters to fight using the player's handbook (create a level 3 warlock for them to fight). Is there any to calculate a CR of a "PC"?

Also, on the same topic, is there any way or any website that can calculates CR of custom characters based on stats or movesets?

In 3.5, CR = Character (class) level + CR adjustments from templates.

In Pathfinder, it would be Character (class) level - 1

In 5th edition, there is no official answer, but I tried to do calculate it, and this is what I got:

Using the rules in the DMG a monster of say, CR 10 is supposed to be a deadly encounter for a 6 lvl party. But if the "party" is a single member, then the CR 10 creature is a deadly encounter for a 17 lvl character.

Taking that into account, I would say a CR 10 monster is roughly equal to a 17 lvl character.

And most CR 10 monsters have 15-18 HD, so I think it fits.

I guess you could do the same calculations for every CR and give every monster an effective level of sorts.

EDIT: I have used the same method for all monsters, and this is what I got:

a CR 1/2 monster is roughly equivalent to a 1 or 2 level character
a CR 1 monster is roughly equivalent to a 2 or 3 level character
a CR 2 monster is roughly equivalent to a 4 level character
a CR 3 monster is roughly equivalent to a 5 level character
a CR 4 monster is roughly equivalent to a 8 level character
a CR 5 monster is roughly equivalent to a 10 level character
a CR 6 monster is roughly equivalent to a 11 level character
a CR 7 monster is roughly equivalent to a 12 level character
a CR 8 monster is roughly equivalent to a 14 level character
a CR 9 monster is roughly equivalent to a 16 level character
a CR 10 monster is roughly equivalent to a 17 level character