PDA

View Full Version : I have a lvl 4 knight/rogue and I don't know what feats to get

XxPhantomBoomYT
2017-02-26, 04:54 PM
Hi I have a level 4 knight cross classed with a rogue(3 levels in knight, 1 in rogue) and I don't know what feats I should get, I'm trying to be able to do as much damage as possible, because I don't like to be the tank, so I don't know if I should get monkey grip to duel wield greatswords(which btw are my main weapon), along with QuickDraw so I'll always be ready, but basically I just need feats for a knight, rogue, that is more on the dextrous, damage side

thoroughlyS
2017-02-26, 06:18 PM
Knight/Rogue is an interesting combination. Why did you choose those two classes? (Knight especially, if you don't want to be a tank?)

Also, have you already started the game?

The Viscount
2017-02-26, 06:48 PM
Are you keeping your knight code of conduct here? Because if you are that will severely limit options, since a knight is not allowed to attack flatfooted opponents, and while they aren't explicitly banned from using sneak attack from a flank, the sacrificing of attack bonus shows it would be very much against the spirit of it.

Darrin
2017-02-26, 07:04 PM
Hi I have a level 4 knight cross classed with a rogue(3 levels in knight, 1 in rogue) and I don't know what feats I should get, I'm trying to be able to do as much damage as possible, because I don't like to be the tank, so I don't know if I should get monkey grip to duel wield greatswords(which btw are my main weapon), along with QuickDraw so I'll always be ready, but basically I just need feats for a knight, rogue, that is more on the dextrous, damage side

Monkey Grip does not do what you think it does. It does not allow you to grip a two-handed weapon in a one-handed grip. All it does is allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal without increasing the "handedness". As in, both a large-sized and medium-sized greatsword must still be wielded with two hands. You still have to take a -2 inappropriate size penalty. In general, the damage increase you get for the -2 attack penalty isn't worth it. You can get a much better damage output just by taking Power Attack (-2 penalty, +4 damage). Power Attack can be adjusted up or down as you need it, and the amount you can get out of it scales up as you increase in level. Monkey Grip doesn't do any of that.

Even if you could wield a greatsword one-handed, and wanted to dual-wield them with the TWF feat, the TWF penalties on top of the inappropriate size penalty would mean your primary weapon and offhand weapon would both be at a -6 attack penalty. This probably means you won't be able to hit anything.

If retraining is available, you might also want to rethink Quickdraw. If all you need is to draw one or two weapons quickly, it's easier to get a Least Crystal of Return (300 GP, Magic Item Compendium) and use that to draw your greatsword as a free action.

So... first things first, please let us know what sourcebooks you have available. Are online sources ok? How about Dragon Magazine? Any setting/campaign specific books you can or can't use?

Next, what sort of combat style do you prefer? Does it have to be dual-wield greatswords? Would bastard swords or dwarven waraxes be workable? Knight 2 gets Mounted Combat as a bonus feat, are you planning on doing anything with that, or are you primarily going to be on foot? If you can't dual-wield two greatswords, would you prefer two-handing a single greatsword, or do you really want to try TWF? (If so, read up on my TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook) for tips).

After that... is this character already in play with levels/feats nailed down? How much GP/Wealth By Level (WBL) do you have available? Some magic items can give you feats or make certain things easier. For example, if you want to wield larger-sized weapons, Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, Magic Item Compendium) are much better than Monkey Grip, as they allow you to wield larger-sized weapons without the -2 inappropriate size penalty.

Finally... there may be some issues with combining Knight with Rogue... more specifically, trying to combine the Knight's Code with Sneak Attack. The Knight's Code does not allow you to gain the benefits of flanking, and it does not allow you to attack opponents that are flat-footed. There may be some hair-splitting here over whether sneak attack damage is the same "benefit" as an attack bonus, but that's a discussion you're going to have to hammer out with the DM. Not being able to attack flat-footed opponents could make sneak attack nearly useless, particularly if your DM rules that you don't get sneak attack when flanking.